Looking for practice warm up ideas

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by fozhebert, May 9, 2021.

1. fozhebert

fozhebert Tele-Meister

Hi all,

Any suggestions on a good 5 minute warmup for both hands before starting a practice session? I am trying to learn chord melody fingerstyle guitar from scratch pretty much. I have never had any structured practice in over 30 years of playing incomplete riffs and half assed rock tunes and have many bad habits to correct.

in short, something to warm up both hands before a 30 minute practice session. I have not really found anything in that vein yet.

Thanks,
    Foz

2. oldunc

oldunc Tele-Meister

I find that it's usually more a matter of finding balance than actually warming up- try playing some scales or other passages without using the thumb of your fretting hand- I mean no contact with the neck at all. As a finger picker, I find it easiest to ground my right hand by playing some passages with thumb alone.

Larry F likes this.
  3. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Two or three slow songs.

4. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Holic

If you are looking for a method with good warmup scale fingerings and major and minor arpeggios, I really like “Mel Bay’s Complete Johnny Smith Approach to Guitar.” There are two and three octave shapes that move up the fretboard with shifts. I try to make the shifts invisible to any listener which takes concentration in both hands as the picking hand often picks harder when the fretting hand makes a large leap. This helps me listen more critically at the beginning of the practice session. If you are just getting familiar with chord melody you can warm up by playing chord inversions up the neck on a string set or starting at the lowest point on the guitar on the sixth string and ending as high as you can play on the upper set of strings. Roni Ben Hur has a good video called “Chordability” which goes through exercises on inversion groups.

5. IanMoss

IanMoss Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

This is what Joe Walsh used to do (maybe he still does?)

6. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This works for me:

7. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Howard Roberts once said that he warms before a gig by playing super slow for a few minutes or more. He focuses his attention on finger placement, picking control, and coordination between the two hands. He says that if he doesn't do this, his playing will be a little off that night.

My variation on this is to play on the low E string: F F# G G# A. The fourth finger plays G# and A. I play the same pattern on the other strings. The fourth finger slides up from the 4th fret to the 5th (on the 3rd string it should be G# A A# B).

I play each note cleanly with nary a buzz. I do this out of time, so that I can give each note the best sound. I also press down with my fingers as hard as possible. Sometimes I will modify the finger placement by pressing as hard as I can. Tempo still out of time.

The right hand plays all downstrokes, all upstrokes, and alternate picking. I focus on picking dynamics. I might also play around with trills and vibrato in the left hand and tremolo picking with the right.

The pattern is reversed when descending, so Ab G Gb F (first string) and E Eb D Db C (second string).

I play each pattern in every position.

I also play variations of three notes, using fingers 2, 3, 4.

8. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.