Looking for pickup ideas for a Cornell Dupree style tele

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
....would any of those 3 you suggested be closest to this?
J:

The first on my list [an original style dynasonic (dearmond 2000)] is the vintage dearmond you mention. Called "dynasonic" by Gretsch. The other two choices look similar from the front, but are built differently, do not sound quite the same as that vintage p/u. I've used both. The 2000 reissue is somewhat like the original, with less punch and volume, while the 2k is more P90 like.

As to what constitutes an equivalent or best choice for that vintage dynasonic sound ... I don't know. Lollar makes p/us like that. I believe SD does too. SD even makes, or used to make, something claimed to be very dynasonic like in a HB form factor. Lots of people swear by the T-Armonds for that purpose. I've not heard any of them.

Something else to consider with dynas. Underneath the p/u is some complicated looking machinery, used to adjust the magnet pole pieces. Has to be enough room in the rout to accommodate, assuming the p/u you use is an original such as Cornell used.

Last edited:

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Holic
I have been an avid fan of guitarist Cornell Dupree for many years, but I think the closest you’ll get to a Cornell pickup are the Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue signature pickups. They’re really cheap too.

fretbuzzard

Tele-Meister
It seems like he experimented with pickups a fair bit, but if you’re shooting for the iconic yellow/blonde guitar, my guess would be that the neck and bridge pups are probably stock ‘67 or ‘68 tele pickups. AFAIK that means staggered, beveled poles, lacquer potted, output in the low to mid 6k range. Middle pickup, as you noted, is a dynasonic. The TV Jones version and the Seymour Duncan version are both outstanding.

billy logan

Tele-Afflicted
Can anybody find King Curtis "Walking in a Winter Wonderland"?

I tried Google, YouTube, Discogs. No dice. Only King Curtis "The Christmas Song"
Anyway I remember (99% sure) Cornell Dupree's nice solo and rich tone on that one. It must a forgotten album cut.