1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking for p/u’s similar to a set not available aftermarket

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by RocknRollShakeUp, Mar 1, 2021.

1. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Tele-Meister

I have a Thin skin tele that has a twisted tele set of pickups in it which are cool, but I’d like to try a set that sounds like the Usual Suspects in Whitfill Teles, but I can’t afford a Whitfill that comes attached to the pickups!

I want a bridge p/u with clarity, airy chime, and enough punchy tele twang but without ice picks .. which is what I’m hearing in the Usual Suspects bridge.

I play mostly the bridge, almost never the neck alone, but will use the middle position.

Any suggestions of pickups that will get me in that ball park?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  2. RocknRollShakeUp

3. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

4. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

Check with fellow forum member @Rob DiStefano - Cavalier Pickups.

He winds excellent pickups and his prices are very fair.

In fact, right now, he's winding one up for my 2021 BrotherHood Build :).

He's a Tele nut just like the rest of us and he understands what we are looking for.

RocknRollShakeUp and nojazzhere like this.
  5. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I've became a big fan of Fender's Pure Vintage 64's when I bought my 60's AO a couple of years ago. The neck pickup has a clear...woody type of tone & the bridge twangs great but w/out the piercing highs I normally deal back a little on my Fender & Lollar '52 spec'd pickups. If I get around to building a Rosewood Tele, those are my front runner for pickups.

Pcs264 and RocknRollShakeUp like this.
  6. RocknRollShakeUp

Have any of you had a chance to compare some of the Broadcaster offerings with the bridge Twisted tele?

I’m wondering if the Broadcaster bridge will be too similar to my Twisted tele bridge ..

7. RocknRollShakeUp

last time I checked in with him about getting a Firebird pickup to certain specs he got kind of cranky but I could hit him up again

8. RocknRollShakeUp

that sounds a lot like what I’m looking for , I’ll check those out too

9. RocknRollShakeUp

holy kung fu smokes of the baby Buddha ... are those economical prices for real, or are those typos? Amazing

10. RocknRollShakeUp

After listening to more clips I think I’m leaning toward the 51 Nocaster part of the tonal spectrum...I may just get a pair of those.

Any other pickup models from other makers that offer that style of 51 nocaster tone that I should consider?

11. old wrench

Well, that's unfortunate. My dealings with Rob have been great.

I know that the true Firebird pickup design is pretty specific, but I don't know how much room there is for changes.

Hope you find just what you're looking for.

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  12. RocknRollShakeUp

Many thanks for the kind words.

You know, I just watched a review of Rob’s Nocaster Holy Grail Lion bridge pickup and I have to say that it sounded great. So I’m definitely considering it.

I’m thinking that something along the “Nocaster” style is exactly the type of bridge I’m looking for. I’m going to research what the other makers have in this vein and see where I land.

old wrench likes this.
  13. old wrench

Strange coincidence :).

A Nocaster Holy Grail Lion is exactly what Rob is right now winding for me to use in my 2021 Brotherhood Build.

This year I'm building an Esquire, so I wanted one pickup that would more or less cover all of my bases. Something that will give up that old Telecaster bridge tone with a little more mid-range added.

For last year's B.B.. Rob wound me a Fat Lion for the bridge and I used a Fralin - 10% underwound P-90 for the neck; it's a pretty good sounding combo.

That fella that demos many of Rob's pickups is a pretty darn good player. He's a forum member too.

Good Luck in your search.

14. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

That's the real deal. I have a set in my old '52 RI and they sound great. Made in Ohio.

15. RocknRollShakeUp

Very cool!

I really like Esquires and I’ve contemplated converting my tele to an Esquire.
    I wonder what the Nocaster holy grail will sound like in position 1 with no tone pot load? Hopefully not too bright. Have you asked Rob about this? I’d be curious what he had to say!

My current Tele is wired Double Esquire style with a blend pot instead of a tone pot. The Twisted Tele in the bridge is a touch bright on 10, in position 1, but if I knock the volume down a touch and/or blend a touch of neck, any excess highs are controlled . The neck twisted tele is definitely way too bright In its own in position 2.

Good luck with your Esquire! I don’t have one but I dream of one.

old wrench likes this.
  16. old wrench

On this Esquire build I'm using just a regular 250K volume pot and a 250K no-load tone pot; there won't be any switch at all.

Similar to a John Page style Esquire.

On Rob's Nocaster Lion p.u. there's an extra couple thousand turns beyond what we might find on a stock early Tele bridge pickup, so I think that'll help keep it from being too bright and add some extra midrange.

I'll see what size capacitor it's asking for when I'm wiring it up.

It will probably have a little different sound because instead of a regular steel Tele bridge and barrel type saddles I'll be using the aluminum Bigsby B16 setup with either a Mastery bridge or a Wilkinson roller bridge.

That's always part of the fun of building something a little different - finding out what it sounds like when it all comes together :).

17. RocknRollShakeUp

Esquire with Bigsby is a brilliant idea...it’s gonna look killer I bet!
    I really like the idea of volume and no load tone pot without a selector switch!
    I’d love to see it when it’s done! I may have to steal that idea at some point!

old wrench likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.