Looking for opinions on Road Worn Brad Paisley Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by spikypaddy, Feb 19, 2020.

1. spikypaddy

spikypaddy Tele-Afflicted

Howdy all, I've not posted here for a LONG time!

The silver sparkle Brad Paisley Road Worn Teles have really caught my eye recently and I wondered if anyone had any experience of them?

I'd be having to sell my '08 blonde Baja if I buy one and also wondered how the 2 models compare?

Thanks!

fender-brad-paisley-roadworn-tele-6.jpg

2. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    spikypaddy, there are many threads on the Paisley Tele; search is your friend.....:)

Dr Improbable likes this.
  3. spikypaddy

I did do a search, but pretty much everything I came across was about the aesthetics, not the playability or sound. I'm particularly interested to get some feedback from anyone who's played both this model and the Baja - apart from finish and body wood, on paper the specs seem pretty similar, so I'm intrigued to see how they compare.

4. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Afflicted

I’ve played/owned a few of both models.

Main differences:

The Brad Paisley models are more consistent. If I’m honest they feel a ‘better’ more playable guitar.

The Paisley models are lighter than every Baja I’ve tried.

The necks are all consistent on the Paisley models. A comfortable soft V, not a small neck but more playable than you might expect. Baja’s I've tried have all had comparatively thicker necks.

The pickups on the Paisley are superb. Particularly the bridge. To my ears they sound similar to a set of Budz Dano pickups I’ve played on a Danocaster single cut. Just perfect if you like a hotter bridge and Strat like neck.

If I had to choose, I’d have the Paisley out of the two.

This is obviously subjective. Just my 2cents.

igor5 likes this.
  5. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

I've had both. The BP is unique with how light it is, some like it some don't. For me the neck is really nice but I prefer the even larger Baja neck. I prefer the pickups on the BP but as a solid platform I kept the Baja and sold the BP because I can change the pickups.

6. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Plays great and sounds wonderful. Love the V neck. Lighter than any baja I've ever played before.

7. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't swap a baja for a BP signature..

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  8. spikypaddy

Thanks for the opinions so far - I really appreciate it! Interesting 50/50 split. I've found a shop about an hour away with a Paisley model in stock, so I might have to go and give it a try.

If you don't mind me asking, what don't you like about the BP sig?

9. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

I tried a BP Tele in a shop and loved everything about it...

amazingly light, rings out loud and long acoustically, neck felt great, pickups sounded awesome, loved the colour, and I would have bought it on the spot at full price...

but... I hate relic/road worn guitars! I refuse to pay for something that someone else has deliberately abused on my behalf.

Instead, I have ordered a Paulownia silver sparkle body and plan to put my own (new, non-road worn), version together. In fact, I love the weight and colour so much, I've ordered an identical Strat body, too.

spikypaddy likes this.
  10. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I've had both and ended up selling the Paisley as my Bajas are fairly light weight. The Paisley is a nice guitar and I wish I had kept it but if I had to chose I'd stick with the Bajas. I'm also not a big fan of the relic job on the Paisley and would've preferred a more subtle look.

spikypaddy likes this.
  11. spikypaddy

The sound is what really intersted me - and I'm glad to hear that they do appear to be as resonant as I'd hoped. I'm not a major fan of the fake wear either, but I can imagine it might grow on me. If I had more time and more technical prowess, I would be tempted to put one together myself, too, but I've got a feeling I'd only end up ruining some expenive components!

I think I probably love the colour and the scratchplate enough to outweigh my dislike of the bare patches and lacquer checking. My Baja isn't overly the lightest, but it's certainly by no means a boat anchor, but I've been playing my SG a lot recently and I do like the idea of a lighter Tele and maybe a slightly smaller neck.

Thanks for your resonses - really appreciate it!

12. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I owned both and it's a tossup for me. I loved the looks, feel and sound of the Paisley but hated the super lightweight. Loved everything about the Baja except the color. If I had to choose one I'd choose the Baja.

13. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

Imho the "relicing" looks goofy and unrealistic. It looks like first attempt of a novice builder with a belt sander.

The Spuce/paulownia/spruce is very soft and light wood, not really my thing personally.

The oil/nitro mix on the neck had some really bad feedback at first, very sticky and gummed up. That may have been due to the first batches being rushed out the door and might have since been fixed.

The baja is just straight classy telecaster action. A three saddle, butterscotch, ash bodied twang banger.

14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I don't get it when people respond with things like "why don't you do a search for other threads on your question"; perhaps (as in this case) the other threads he found did not answer his question. Also, this is a discussion forum, many people come to these things for.... discussion.

Jjmatashi and ieatlions like this.
  15. spikypaddy

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it! I get you with the fake relicing - that look has never really been my thing, but it has grown on me with the BP signature.

I finally got to try one out locally at the weekend. I couldn't get over the light weight - I genuinely loved it! The Twisted Tele obviously sounded much like the Baja, but I absolutely loved the bridge pickup. A bit darker, pokey - seemed pretty versatile. And despite the roadworn look, the finish (or lack of it, in places!) felt super comfortable, with the neck size and shape making it that little bit more playable for me. I was so impressed that I'm currently advertising my Baja for sale!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    That Cal Webway likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.