Looking for New York City hotel suggestions

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by davo8411, Aug 19, 2019.

1. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I am planning to see the Play It Loud exhibit in NYC in September. The hotel prices are pretty steep in the city. Should I consider staying in Queens or Brooklyn? I am not familiar with the area having only been to NYC once in 2014. Any advice on decent places to stay that don't kill my wallet are appreciated.

2. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Go to one of the travel websites and find something in your price range, preferably on the East Side. The Met's a short walk from the 86th Street 4-5-6 subway station on Lexington Ave.

gridlock, Marc Morfei and StrangerNY like this.
  3. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Thank you.

4. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Airbnb

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jersey

6. wingdangdoodle

wingdangdoodle TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I've lived in NYC for about 8 years now. My parents have frequently stayed at one of the Pod hotels in the city. There are several locations, they're on the affordable side – just small. But you'll likely not be doing much in the room besides sleeping anyway. Other than that, we use booking.com very often to find good hotel deals for visitors when they come to see us. Staying in Manhattan would be more convenient, but Queens is fine too so long as you stay near the subway lines. Astoria is a great neighborhood and Long Island City (area Queens) has a large number of hotels, most of which are very close to subway options. We've also had luck with the Hotel Tonight app since you can book well in advance now. Enjoy the exhibit!

7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

There's nothing wrong with staying in Queens or Brooklyn - but both are huge, so make sure you are staying somewhere with easy subway access to Manhattan. Within Queens, Long Island City (neither its own city nor an island) is right next to Manhattan and is becoming a kind of manhattan spillover. Astoria is the Greek neighborhood, affordable, close to Manhattan, and with fantastic eats.
    Brooklyn is kind of its own thing, farther from Manhattan but very worthwhile for a tourist. in general it has more of the "New York feel" architecture, and street scenes that you might expect. I lived in the Carroll Gardens area for a while which is nice. Have fun! There are some discount hotels in Manhattan as well, the whole island is perfectly safe as far as that goes. The room is going to be tiny and basic if it's less than $150, though.

8. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I'll give you a suggestion to what my wife and I do when we travel abroad. Try to find a hotel in a professional class residential neighborhood. West side hotels will be a little more convenient to MMA and the Museum of Natural History but hotels in the theatre district will be painfully expensive. The east side is more convenient to MOMA and the Guggenheim. Manhattan is just more interesting, especially at night. If you're concerned with costs, hotels are only part of it. Meals in tourist areas will be expensive and rarely the best. Residential areas to check out are SoHo (lower Manhattan), Harlem (Jazz at the Cotton Club, dinner at Dinosaur Barbeque), Long Island City (in Queens, up and coming but not quite a destination yet), and Williamsburg (Brooklyn, close to the river is better and there are really good restaurants frequented by locals more than tourists). The subway system can be confusing and there are likely to be more train changes needed from the outer boros so I'd stay in Manhattan if you can afford it. Taxis are very expensive from JFK, a little less costly from LaGuardia. You can get into Manhattan by train from Newark. Have fun when you come. Don't miss the new dinosaur bones at the Museum of Natural History and if you bring your wide, don't miss the minerals and gems collection. Play it loud was great. I went with my wife, a friend of hers, and my son who lives in NYC. They all thought they'd be bored to tears but they weren't. I'm not into collectables, but these guitars are history. That's very different. You'll also see that Fender Custom Shop heavy relic and real historical instruments aren't even close to being the same thing.

9. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

In January we stayed at the Executive Hotel Le Soleil on W. 36. It was pretty reasonable for Manhattan and was a nice hotel. I booked it through booking.com.

I usually use kayak.com to find hotels at the best prices. Kayak then sends you to the website with the best deal. Also, always check the hotel's own website. They sometimes have the same deal and you avoid the middleman.

There are plenty of options in New Jersey that are right on a bus route that will get you to Penn Station in less than 15 minutes.

10. Little Ricky

Little Ricky Tele-Holic

Airbnb in Weehawken, NJ.
    15 mins bus ride or ferry across the river.

11. Saxonbowman

Saxonbowman TDPRI Member

12. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Not sure what would be considered a reasonable price to you, but in Feb 2013 I stayed at Times Square's "The Plaza" hotel for about 200 a night and it was swell! Big, beautiful rooms etc. We were only there for a weekend though so... I was ok with splurging a bit to be so close to everything, have a nice room, without having to brave the NYC subway etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.