1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking for new amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Blaoskaak, Feb 23, 2021 at 4:15 AM.

1. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak TDPRI Member

Hi all,

I have marshall sv20h, but the amp is very clean and i am looking for some more dirt and blues sound.

Now i need some advice for what fit my needs best.

Vox ac30
    Fender bassbreaker 45 - master volume
    Fender bassman 70 - master volume
    Fender bassman 50 1969 - no master volume. This would be with attenuator.

I am looking for some eric clapton/rory gallagher/srv sound.

Who can give me some advice?

Thanks in advance!

2. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

Start with a Champ and don't turn it up past three (3).

Blaoskaak likes this.
  3. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

You’ve listed some higher wattage amps, but Im wondering if you’ve tried a Marshall 1974(x). Legend amp, truly.

if you’re wanting that 6v6 Clapton tone, Fender offerings are obvious. But let me suggest a contemporary one that many guitarists overlook- the REVV G20. Plays cleaner than my Matchless, Vox, and Fender amps (all sold now). The little G20 has become my number one because it can do just about anything and it doesn’t seem to compromise at all.

Blaoskaak likes this.
  4. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I’ll recommend the Bassman 50 out of those listed just because I had one and it was an awesome amp that I miss sometimes.

But admittedly it was a very clean amp also, but an awesome pedal platform.

Get the amp that seems coolest to you and get a pedal that you like. Maybe like an OCD or something for Clapton and a Tube Screamer for SRV?

sax4blues and Blaoskaak like this.
  5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Where are you settling controls on your Marshall? If you can't get bluesy tones at 5 watts from it then the bigger amps won't help.

6. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Crank your Marshall. In my opinion,you’re already sitting on THE dirt and blues sound.

7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

You want dirt and blues get a 57deluxe
    however, you can coax a lot out of what
    you have..I would try a diff cab with 10s
    or even diff alnicos 12s in whatever your current cab is..
    or stomps..
    imho

Blaoskaak likes this.
  8. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

If this is for live performance, I'd be looking at a used Rivera Chubster 40.

I have owned one for 22 years without a problem and it does everything from American Blues to British Rock with a totally compromised sound.

Used Chubsters can be had for as low as $500m - $600 and are the very best, (under the radar) value I have ever seen.

Blaoskaak likes this.
  9. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak TDPRI Member

First of all, thank you all for the reply's and suggestions. I need a amp that is for home use. I use a attenautor to tame my sv20h, because it is very loud.

Thanks!

Yeah all the sounds i like are from high watt amps. So of i buy for example a 70 watt witj attenuator, i should have a sound i want with lower volumes right?

I will do some research about the REVV. Thanks for the tip!

20210223_200015.jpg

This are my setting without pedals. I also have a ts9 clone and vintage overdrive tone.

Guitar-vintage overdrive- ts9 clone- amp.
    The overdrive pedal i use as a boost. Tone and drive knob all the way down and volume all the way up.

I also use a attenautor. On volume 3/10 what i miss isba thick sound. It sound thin in my ears. But what i forgot to mension is that my 2x12 cab is new. The upper speaker is a creamback, the lower speaker is a v30. The cab has 10 hours playtime.

Thanks for your advice. See my post above for my cab.

Thank you for your advice. It is not for live performance yet. But when i am better at guitar playing i want to join a band.

I preffer amp heads. I think it looks better than a combo.

Edit; i jumpered the 2 channels

10. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

make sure you look closely at the G20 and not the D20. The G has all the dirt you could ever want for rock and blues. Watch Rabea be shocked at how clean it sounds and then watch his numerous stank faces as he finds the dirt. Sums it up.

it has a lot of compression in the power section, which is probably why you favor bigger amps at moderate volumes. I telling ya, the g20 slays.

jump to 10:45 to start hearing it proper with a Tele

Blaoskaak likes this.
  11. Blister

Blister Tele-Meister

Look to your fingers it all comes from there

nojazzhere and Blaoskaak like this.
  12. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Keep turning the knobs and don’t be afraid of extremes. You mentioned thick sound. For me I find thick in the mids, not bass. Try rolling the bass way back and up the mid knob. Also try turning off the boost and turn up the amp.

Blaoskaak, W.L.Weller and McGlamRock like this.
  13. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I've never played the sv20h, but if anything I would think a Bassman would have similar if not slightly more clean headroom than a plexi-style Marshall. In my head I roughly (and probably inaccurately) equate the headroom of the Bassman and JTM 45, with the later Marshall plexis that the sv20h is based on having slightly less headroom.

I know you're already using an OD/boost but maybe try a treble booster as I believe both Clapton and Gallagher used a rangemaster treble booster for their sound. A rangemaster clone will be a lot cheaper than getting an entirely new amp.

Blaoskaak likes this.
  14. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

I agree with Sax4blues, keep playing with the controls. That's a great amp you have there!

I had a Carr Rambler that had a great driven sound. But to get there, I'd have to dial it kind of uniquely:
    First I'd turn the bass, mids, and treble all the way down to zero. Then I would dime the volume. After that, I would very slowly turn up the mids (and that would never go past one or two).That left me to rely on my guitar's volume knob to control the levels. Bizarre way to dial in an amp but it sounded amazing!

Blister and Blaoskaak like this.
  15. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Depending on guitar, needs way more mids and bass

Put it on 5 watts. Put treble on around 6. Push mids to 8. Put bass to 10.

You might need to pull a little treble and bass off.

Blaoskaak likes this.
  16. Blaoskaak

Blaoskaak TDPRI Member

Thanks! The amp sounds indeed amazing. This will be defenitly be an option if i buy a new one!
    That guy plays very good too. One day i'll get there too:p

Yeah i read that alot. It will take alot of time tho.

Thanks for your advice. Before my marhsall i owned a katana 50, but i really wanted a tube amp and after alot reading i bought the marshall. It has almost only good reviews. Thats why i hate it that it doesn't sound right in my ears. Maybe a big reason is that i am not good enough to get everything out of it.

My cab is a cheap harley benton. I don't know if cabinet wood or design also is important for the sound.

I bought a rangemaster clone kit.
    https://www.musikding.de/The-Range-Germanium-Treblebooster-kit

When i turn bass and mid on amp in 10 i almost hear no diffence. Maybe it needs a trained ear? Dont know.

Thanks and thanks for the tip! Will try that out too.

Thanks. When i turn the knobs i almost can't hear a diffrence.
    This is most likely due to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.