Looking for neck profile templates

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by GPlo, Mar 12, 2019.

1. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

In preparation of shaping a bass neck I want to make some templates for the profile (at the 1st and 12th fret).

I was hoping to find some printable ones online so I could stick them on some mdf and cut them out, but no luck.

Anyone know where I can find these?

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

ya don't actually need templates.. the metrics are pretty much fixed.. the heel is a specific width, the nut is a specific width and it's a straight line from each to each... the fret template will determine the overall length and you can print photos of headstocks, enlarge or reduce to fit.... the shape of the back is whatever you want.... and the tuning keys can be used to position the holes in the headstock...

rk

eallen likes this.
  3. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

Ron, thanks for your reply. Allow me to elaborate. The neck is basically done, I just have to shape/carve the back. i’ve only made one neck before. For that first one I just copied the neck profile (using a profile gauge) of a telecaster I have hanging on the wall. I then used that to draw up my lines for facetting the neck. During the process of facetting and then sanding, I would have liked to have a template of the final shape to check my progres.

So for this second build I don’t have an existing neck I can copy the shape from. I could probably make something myself but if there are templates of common shapes available somewhere it would save me quite some time for this and future builds.

Ps: thank you for your manual on guitar setup. It has helped me tremendously.

4. Ronkirn

something to keep in mind.. in the 50's and 60's and well into the 70's the necks were done by hand, by feel... there is no exact profile for those necks... You can simply draw what ya want on a piece of cardboard, and use that as a guide... start with it kinda full so if it doesn't feel right to you, there's still some wood remaining to remove..

r

5. Ronkirn

as Marty has shown there are many different interpretations of neck profiles... you can also vies those on Warmoth's' site or USACG's to get an idea... all ya need is a compass and a piece pf card board.. If there is a neck you like available, cover it with cellophane, like Saran Wrap.. and mix a dry load of plaster of Paris... put it over the back,.. let it harden, it'll take about 5 minutes.... while still a little damp cut a slice with any saw... there ya go...

r

6. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I have a neck I like...really like... it is on my ‘67 Tele. Yo me it is the gold standard.

I recently profiled a neck. I thought really hard to figure out how to make the new neck that same shape as the ‘67.

In the end, I just rasped away until it felt right. Did it all. Y feel with a caliper to check thickness behind fret 1.

It worked. It is as close to the Gold Standard as could be.

Feel the neck

Be one with the neck

CraigB likes this.
  7. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

I make my own from a guitar that I really like. Here was a vintage Goldtop that seemed just right, I have used it profile on several of my guitars. The thingie is designed for copying molding - you can find them at tool stores or Grizzly.

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1487.JPG

CraigB likes this.
  8. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Another way to model off of an existing neck is to use a thick piece of solder. The solder I actually use for guitar wiring is very thin, but I do have a roll of very fat stuff that's probably meant for plumbing. Flex it around the neck that you like and use it to trace out a template, then use the cardboard (or hardboard) template to check your progress.

The Fender Custom Shop catalog has a page of neck profiles that's unnecessarily complicated. For me the choices are slim, vee, or baseball-bat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.