1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking for my ideal Telecaster (will settle for unicorn)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by nik62es, Jan 26, 2021.

1. nik62es

nik62es TDPRI Member

I have got an american deluxe anniversary Stratocaster that has it all...apart from one thing - it's not a Tele. Can someone help me ? Was there ever a stock Tele made by Fender that has : 1) gold hardware, 2) last generation Cobalt noiseless pickups 3) a contour body 4) locking tuners 5) S1 switch, 6) body binding. I know, I'm not asking much ;-) ..I am just trying to see how many of those things I can possibly get on a stock model..as this would be my ideal combination. If need be I could live without the binding, but rather fancy it. Apart from the binding and the back contour shape I could swap out the rest, but it would get pricey. The back contour is not negotiable. Your help is very much appreciated .

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

US Telecaster Deluxe models in past has most of those features. Not sure if noiseless pickups changed.

I was looking at them.

3. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Contact Fender and have them make it for you from their own parts at their "Mod Shop."

It's not full-0n Custom Shop, but it doesn't carry the CS price tag either.

nicknklv and nojazzhere like this.
  4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Unless there was some kind of special run the American Deluxe/American Elite/American Ultra Teles have not had gold hardware from the factory. The specs you seek are available in some form or another on models starting in 2004:
    1. American Deluxe 2nd Generation - SCN version of the noiseless pickups, S-1 switch, and as long as you're okay with an alder body you get the binding around the top and the back contour, Modern C neck shape. This version does not have locking tuners or a compound radius neck (it's 9.5", the modern standard radius for Fender) but it has the green abalone dots.
    2. American Deluxe 3rd Generation - N3 noiseless pickups, S-1 switch, also only the alder body versions have the binding and contour, Modern C neck shape, has locking tuners and has the compound radius neck (9.5"-14").
    3. American Elite - N4 noiseless pickups, S-1 switch, all versions (ash and alder) have the binding and contour, locking tuners, compound radius neck; now has "Modern C-to-D" shape - starts out as a C but morphs to a D.
    4. American Ultra - "Ultra noiseless" pickups (i.e. 5th generation noiseless), S-1 switch, locking tuners, "Modern D" neck shape, revised compound radius neck (now 10"-14"). Had ash bodies available for part of the year (these were released in November 2019, ash was discontinued about April 2020) but are now all alder.
    5. American Ultra Luxe - new model just introduced; has ash bodies and what is described as a thicker neck with a slightly different shape (called "Augmented D"; other feature same as the "regular" American Ultra.
    On all of these the S-1 switch changes the middle position on the switch from parallel to series; no special/fancy wiring like on the American Deluxe/American Elite Strats (American Ultra Strats have a drastically simplified wiring for the S-1).

While I was typing this @Telenator posted an excellent suggestion - see if you can get everything you want through the Fender Mod Shop; you may come out better cost-wise than buying and modifying a production-line model.

5. nik62es

nik62es TDPRI Member

- should have said I am in Spain/Europe...last time I checked, a few years ago, they didn't deliver to Spain...We do have authorized Fender dealers, but for some reason the buck stops outside España...Thanks for the suggestion, though. May be an option to find someone going to the US and bringing me one back..

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. nik62es

nik62es TDPRI Member

Thank you very much for that comprehensive info, never seen as much detail all put together, you certainly know your stuff. Very kind of you tot ake the time and do the write up. It will help me to see what options are possible..as I like the noiseless pups on my Strat, it may have to be the American Ultra with Ash..I love the bling of golden hardware, but it's not the end of the world ..shame on Fender to prefer the Strat and make the Tele a bastard child ;-)

Blister likes this.
  7. nik62es

nik62es TDPRI Member

Than

Thank you for the input, another compañero from this here forum has just put all the specs up.

8. TheDavis

TheDavis Tele-Meister

Looks like a Partscaster build is in your future.
    I’d suggest the Squier CV teles as your starting point. They are great off the rack and you can buy everything your looking for and change it out with a screwdriver. there’s a ton of places that will do the wiring setups as well so all you’d have to do is solder a couple of wires or ask a buddy if you’re not comfortable.
    Partscaster builds are too easy so don’t be afraid to create your perfect tele!

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Which American Deluxe Strat do you have? As far as I can remember the only one with factory gold hardware was the 2004 "50th Anniversary Edition".

10. BUG80

BUG80 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  11. nik62es

nik62es TDPRI Member

Yes, you're right, apart from the S1 and those pickups, which don't do much for me, it's getting there. I appreciate that as an artist series it will have pickups to best represent the genre of Mr. Kotzen, but they are more or less the exact opposite of what I'm after tonewise...and I can't see myself spending that amount of money to only go and swap pickups afterwards. Nice looking though (until you notice the double rail..)

12. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

That's a nice one. As mentioned that was the only American Deluxe to get gold hardware from the factory; it was just on that anniversary edition. They didn't do a commemorative edition American Deluxe for the 60th Anniversary of the Strat in 2014, but the commemorative American Standard Strat that year did get the gold hardware.

Good luck on your search. I see where another poster or two mentioned the Kotzen Tele; that might be worth a look, but otherwise you may be looking at a build to order through Fender.

13. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Looks like Custom Shop time

14. Fenderdad1950

15. Fenderdad1950

16. nik62es

nik62es TDPRI Member

I wouldn't hesitate for one minute..if it wasn't for my family and their absurd needs to eat and drink and get clothes..plus paying bills..I tell ya, people get really funny when you drop 3k on a guitar ;-)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.