1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking for low cost good tone ss practice amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Cedarburger, Mar 13, 2021.

1. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Also, I don't recall seeing a reference directly in your previous posts, but are we safe to assume the desired amp be a combo unit (eg; amp+speaker -- as opposed to amp head+external speaker)?

Cedarburger likes this.
  2. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Really?
    You don't find it a convenient practice amp?
    Plug a couple of pedals into it and good to go.
    I think the ZT basic tone is better than any small amp in it's price range.

3. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

To the OP. If you can do "one and done" with anything I salute you! I never could.

Cedarburger likes this.
  4. Cedarburger

Cedarburger Tele-Meister

PhredE, I have some effects, but focusing on clean tones right now. I will never play out. Portability may be nice, but it can sit in it's spot in my bedroom and stay there.

Raw volume is not something I need. I have a tube amp that I really like, but it doesn't have a headphone jack and is too loud for when the family is home.

When I originally started this thread, I guess I was looking for an amp that would have great tone at low volume that didn't break the bank.

PhredE likes this.
  5. Cedarburger

Cedarburger Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone....so much to think about here!

PhredE likes this.
  6. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

It does so many things a tube DR cannot.

PhredE and Cedarburger like this.
  7. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Tech 21 Trademark 10. It sounds great, it’s very light, has a headphone jack and sounds huge when connected to an external cabinet. Also, it’s made in the USA (if that’s important to you)

There are several available on Reverb for under $200.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    PhredE and Cedarburger like this.
  8. Cedarburger

Cedarburger Tele-Meister

Great question. I am open to either.

PhredE likes this.
  9. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

OK, gotcha. Thanks for that. Here are my recommendation:
    Fender Mustang LT25 or Roland Cube would get very close to your goal (for $150 or less too).
    ..Just my 0.02.

Ever think about getting one of those 'headphone amps' that many of the big amp companies sell?
    ..Just an idea.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/amPlugCleanG2--vox-amplug-2-clean-headphone-guitar-amp

driver8 and Cedarburger like this.
  10. Cedarburger

Cedarburger Tele-Meister

PhredE likes this.
  11. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Here's the solution to that, provided your amp isn't some fire breathing 100 watt monster.

I use a Bugera PS1 Power Soak with my tube amps (Monoprice 5w and SFPR right now) and send its line out to a Hotone Binary IR Cab. From there, I send it into a mixer where I can balance and direct the signal to headphones, recording or PA/monitor speakers. If you wanted to spend more, you could get a more expensive attenuator/line out/IR cab unit like those from Two Notes.

Cedarburger likes this.
  12. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I sorta can't believe nobody has mentioned the Fender Mustang series. My suggestion: Scrape up $50, grab a used Mustang I, and have fun playing while you shop around for something more esoteric. I think it's the best practice amp ever.

13. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I loved my ex Peavey Bandit. It was just so frigging heavy and loud.

Take a look at the Boss Katana.

Or, I went the mfx/modeler route. I now have a Headrush Gigboard and FRFR cab. It gives me a lot of amp and cab simulations as well as tons of effects options. It also gives me the ability to load 3rs party IRs.

The Gigboard is so easy to use with its touch screen. It's like setting up real pedals in a chain.

[​IMG]

It's also an interface for easy recording of your projects into your favorite DAW.

PhredE and northernguitar like this.
  14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Older Peavey stuff is quite reliable. I bought a Peavey tube amp 2 x 12 for $100. But the SS is as good as that technology gets.
    Low wattage the Fender Princeton Chorus SS is not bad. ~$150

northernguitar likes this.
  15. Cedarburger

Cedarburger Tele-Meister

Tech21 was not on my radar, mostly because I've never seen one in person, or even for sale locally.
    I took a look at them online based on your reco. First of all, I absolutely love the aesthetics of their amps. I do like the idea that they are made in USA, but tone would be most important. I am going to dig a little deeper, but would be nice to hear one in person. Putting in earbuds and listening on Youtube now. See ya in a few...lol.

16. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

The Fender Princeton Plus’s 112 is the worst sounding amp I ever owned. I was trying to use it for Classic Hard Rock and it was an awful amp for that. Worst can of bees I’ve ever heard.

17. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

If you have volume concerns, I didn't notice that on first read, sorry, I wouldn't 9verthinkn it too much and just grab an LT25. $150, 8" speaker, no dealing with the used market, no worries. The Champion 20 is worth considering, too. I would take the 15r over both, but those are so hard to find now.

The bandit can be played at low volumes, but it's going to be bigger/ heavier than a practice amp, if that's an issue. Upside is you could easily gig with it if you needed to. If you don't foresee that, go quick and easy and get the mustang or champ 20.

northernguitar likes this.
  18. Tele T

Tele T TDPRI Member

Roland Micro Cube hands down the BEST for the Money $ ENJOY :)

19. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

A Vox Mini 5 Rhythm or Roland Micro Cube would be my first suggestions. I have both, they are outstanding for they are. Small and portable (batteries optional). A Orange 35RT is a little above your budget but that might be your best option. Got one of those too haha. Sounds good straight up, two channels, takes pedals well and has an effects loop. Good luck.

JKPickin and pi like this.
  20. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Wish I still had mine, these are awesome lil amps. Having fun at home with my Fender Champion tho, $120. My pedal board hasn’t seen the light of day in ages. The Champion does take pedals well on clean settings. Good time to be in the market for a SS practice amp, let us know what you end up with OP!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.