Looking for Les Paul headstock - wider one...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by PuuhaPate, May 28, 2014.

1. PuuhaPate

PuuhaPate TDPRI Member

Hi,

I'm starting a Les Paul project and been tried to find a drawing / blueprint for wide LP headstock.
    I have a plans for -59 and other LP models but all have this "standard" headstock as shown on the picture.
    I have seen also LPs with more wider and more "massive" headstocks ( or does the headstocks just look wider and more massive because of some colour or bindings etc..)
    Does anyone have some other head stock models for LP or even know the Gibson models which have these wider headstock to check ?

Attached Files:

2. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Epiphone headstock?

3. LeroyBlues

LeroyBlues Tele-Holic

Many of the "Big Body" models have a slightly larger headstock. I worked for Gibson for the past five years, and while there were many sizes, they all have the same basic shape. (With the exception of the "goofy" shapes.)

If you want slightly larger, why not just print it out at 105% or something like that?

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

5. PuuhaPate

PuuhaPate TDPRI Member

OK, thanks! LP Custom seems to be the one I'm looking for.
    I decided to modify it a bit to get some "mass" to it but now I'm not sure if I overstate it...:D
    -59 on left and my own -14 oversized on right...

Attached Files:

6. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Tele-Holic

You can see the difference on this suppliers page.

7. PuuhaPate

PuuhaPate TDPRI Member

Great! Thanks for the link. That's even better...ready template.

8. Pete McC

Pete McC Tele-Meister

1970's Les Pauls had larger headstocks, I guess that's what you mean, I have one, it measures 84mm from horn to horn at the top and 75mm at the bottom before it slopes away to the nut, I think yours is a touch on the large side, unless that's what you were intending

9. guitarbuilder

Yes, Norlin owned Gibson from the late 1960's to the early 1980's. They made quite a few changes that were unacceptable by the purists. Among these changes were pancake bodies and wider pegheads. I once owned a couple sgs that were made out of poplar and alder from this era.

10. Pete McC

Pete McC Tele-Meister

That said, I absolutely love my 74 Les Paul pancake body model, it is quite light and plays beautifully, Mojo is oozing out of it and it just feels like an old friend despite it's undesirable heritage. When I got it back in 1990 it had been abused and refinished in a brown rattle can sunbrust, I refinished it with an airbrush in nitro and it never looked better, I've never played a better one :D

11. guitarbuilder

I actually prefer the tops on those era LP's. I think that they are less pregnant looking than the early and current ones. Different strokes.

12. Pete McC

Pete McC Tele-Meister

Don't know about differences in tops, never heard that before, but I've happy with mine, here it is enjoying some early summer sun:
    [​IMG]

13. guitarbuilder

That's nice looking. The early and newer ones have a deeper dish. I had a nice goldtop deluxe from that era at one time with the mini humbuckers. Nicely worn and green looking with some wear on it. I also had for a few years, an 85 LP Custom with a 3 piece non matched top with a cherry sunburst. Not the best looking top, but a nice guitar none the less.

14. DoubleFourValve

DoubleFourValve TDPRI Member

I've got an '81 Standard, from the era when Norlin started to respond to the complaints about their '70s stuff. Still has a three-piece top with pretty bland figuring, but it plays great and sounds great. No complaints about the maple neck at all. And hey, they've even gone back to maple necks on the newest Standards. People are starting to warm up to the realization that everything that Norlin did wasn't terrible. I understand why the era's reviled, but as with anything, you've gotta sift through and find the good stuff. And it's not like I haven't seen weird QC errors on modern Gibsons, like carelessly-positioned jack plates and whatnot. And these are on guitars not being sold as seconds or blem models. Then again, I've seen the same kind of carelessness on recent American Fenders.

15. DoubleFourValve

Also, Pete McC, I really dig the top on yours. Neat guitar, man. Here's mine.

Attached Files:

16. Pete McC

Pete McC Tele-Meister

Thanks DoubleFour! I actually prefer the three piece top with the slight flame on mine instead of the stereotypical two piece tigerstripe versions, it's more interesting to me. Your tobacco sunburst is very nice too though, I think there's a lot of Gibby's from that era which are overlooked gems :D

17. DoubleFourValve

Yeah it seems like people are starting to wise up on the early-'80s Standards, though. When I got this one 15 years ago, it was worth maybe 1400 dollars. Maybe. Now they're going for as much as a new Standard. To me, it's still a 1400-dollar guitar. But it's also irreplaceable. Lotta sentimentality baked into that one. My '75(?) Special, too. Neither is going anywhere, for any price.

18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I have a '79 LP Deluxe, gold top, mini humbuckers, all 100% stock. The headstock is definitely a bit larger than the normal LP headstock. Looks pretty similar to the larger silhouette you posted earlier in the thread. It's a great guitar!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.