1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking for information on Indiana guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Missing Link, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Missing Link

Missing Link Tele-Meister

Hey folks, found what looks to be a decent looking Stratocaster copy made by a company called Indiana that a gent wants to sell.
    I am looking for a decent body to mod up and this one is in my sights right now.
    Unfortunately he nor I know what kind of wood it is made from and he is not willing t take it apart to see.
    I know nothing about an Indiana brand it and can not find much information on the internet and for all I know they do not make them any more.
    I do have a serial number if any one can inform me of what year it was made and hopefully the wood type for that era.
    M-0711370115

Cheers

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I remember the Indiana brand being an import brand along the lines of a Series 10 or a Samick guitar. We had a dealer who had them for a while. Seems like they had Strat copies as well as LP copies. I had a friend who had an LP copy and he was pretty impressed with it.
    As a mod platform it should be pretty good, and you should be able to get it for cheap.

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. Missing Link

Thanks, as said never heard of this brand before, it looks good and for $50 not a big breaker of the wallet, just don't want any plywood or basswood. I saw something that related to Alder but not sure what year it was referring to as if was 2007 maybe Alder but as we all know they seem to change wood type all the time.

Cheers

4. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I can't tell if they actually build their own or if they are more like Jay Turser guitars. Sounds like they are based out of Indianapolis, maybe. I've heard of them before, but nothing bad.

https://www.shsinternational.net/

5. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

I had an Indiana tele years ago, gave it to a friend. It was about what you'd expect. Cheap wiring, pickups were nothing special. I don't remember if the body was plywood or not. I"d look under the PG to make sure it's solid wood. Unless you're okay with plywood. This had to be at least 15 years ago. Maybe they're different now. Pretty sure they're made in China

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

I'm going with yellow poplar as it is the state tree of Indiana.

7. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

So their guitars are built in Indiana?

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

China

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I have an Indiana bass. Not bad.. Chinese or Korean build I believe

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I remember on a few of the acoustic lines, ironically some had ss frets 5 or 10 years ago!

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. Missing Link

Interesting, well no I do not want plywood as I mainly want the body, the neck seems okay maybe a 12 radius, with he would let me just pull the neck off but this is an older guy that seems to not want to screw with it, last words were buy it if you want it.
    It is made in China, has a gold oval sticker on the back of the neck. Still can not tell from the SN what year it is as the guy said he got it from the first owner a few years ago and just sat in the corner of his living room.
    Thank guys.

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. Missing Link

Well this seems to be one of the hardest guitars to trace down for any real information as in tech information and how to read the SN and years made and so on. I did find this one bit of information on what maybe what I wanted to know as what wood it maybe made from and from this it points to maybe Alder.
    In the pictures, the one on top IE1 seems to fit the head stock logo (Indiana) of the one I am looking at VS the second is not the same logo as it is newer (what years I do nt know).
    So I hope I am on the right track as type of wood.

s-7.jpg

https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/ngd-soon-indiana-strat.292738/

Cheers

13. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I don't know a thing about Indiana guitars, other than that I remember seeing a few around a while back, but I have to speak in defense of cheap plywood guitars. My Squier Bullet Special is just fine. :D

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

Think approximately Squier Bullet level,just maybe a hair lower in quality, and lacking the fender specs if you want to make a partscaster anytime.

50-75 bucks is a solid deal on any functional guitar. 100 might be an overpay, just my opinion.

indianas are what you see a lot in the guitar section of pawn shops. Not saying it’s going to be a bad guitar. I like cheap guitars.

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. Missing Link

The only problem with plywood guitar bodies is when you work on routing (doing mods) as I have in the past, it seems as I got a lot of chipping in the cuts mostly thats it. Not a fan of Basswood as it seems to strip out screw holes as the wood is so thin and dent to easy. Heck I have a plywood Les Paul cheapo that plays supper.
    I like cheap guitars some are better than the $1,200 Fender or ? It's just how you set them up and what you want out of them. Some time back I bought a solid body strat no name that was red in color but the ad said alder body, when I striped the paint off it was basswood, the sunburst in their guitar line was the one with Alder as it was more transparent. Boy did that Basswood gouge easy when stripping the paint with a heat gun.
    I called the gent awhile ago and he would not answer probably tired of me asking questions. Just wanted him to remove the jack plug or the trem cover to see what wood it there, oh well.
    Picture looks just like this Indiana IE1 (still not sure of the model number). Just want to install my left handed strat neck for starters.
    Cheers

s-11.jpg

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Basswood CAN be fine, I dribble thin CA in the holes, no issues. I recently got a Tele thinline, neck humbucker, my fave and it's basswood . Which means basically a Tele weighing 5.75 pounds :D

17. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

I'm not surprised you can't find much info. There are untold obscure brands like this out there where a smaller outfit ordered up some guitars from overseas. It gave little sellers a way to compete with the store brands of bigger chains. You could probably have a run of branded guitars for less than the minimum order required from name brands.

radiocaster likes this.
  18. Missing Link

Heck I'm still trying to decode the serial number - M-0711370115

The guitar is mine but the cant pick it up until he comes back from Nevada, he love's to gamble.

cheers

19. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

http://www.indianaguitarcompany.com

Did you try to contact them through this page? It's doesn't look completely current but they list an email. It's possible the brand has gone dormant within the distributors portfolio.

20. Missing Link

I did not response yet, I get the feeling that this company has changed hands a few times as I believe the new name is Indy not Indiana?

Cheers

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.