Looking for Ideas on upgrading my SX Furrian

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by jlem3, Sep 10, 2019.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Hmm...

If it was me, if it sounds good as it is, I would leave it that way. Mod'ing it will not add anything to its value. I would rather buy a guitar, such as a Squier CV because it could be a keeper and a lot of upgrade Fender and aftermarket parts will fit.

I had a Hadean Tele and it sounded amazing stock! Aesthetics were amazing and it was unbelievable value for a guitar below $100! Then, I thought of modifying it into a poor man's version of the Kotzen. But, some electronics did not fit. So, I decided to let it go in favor of the Squier CV.

Just thought of sharing. Good luck and enjoy!

jlem3 likes this.
  2. jlem3

jlem3 TDPRI Member

thanks for the input ... guitars sounded like. tele nothing special ... i bought this because I wanted to learn how to do mods and I heard good things about the Furrians to begin with .. so I thought win win .. now I guess I will see first hand and be able to develope my own opinion if it was worth it or not... I do agree if it's not broke don't fix it approach with some guitars ... some u pick up and u just hear feel that it needs nothing ... I didn't get that feeling with this one although it did catch my eye with the bound body though and I think it's going to look great

littlebadboy likes this.
  3. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Don't get me wrong, I am into mod'ing too. In fact, I'm a guitar mod nut! See below, I mod'ed a Squier CV. The question is... is the guitar worth the money to spend on?

jlem3 likes this.
  4. jlem3

jlem3 TDPRI Member

guess that answers the question ... tele can do metal! very cool! as far as my teles mods... this is the first guitar I'm doing mods on... been out of the guitar game for too long so I bought the furian for cheap liked the way it felt playing so I'm learning how to on this guitar ... in the future I will def weigh the pros and cons and the does it really need it question... I had a stock Mexican strat that I bought when they very first hit the market and I did nothing to that guitar but put strings on it and it sounded and played great ... I bought a Gibson MIII and ended up hating everything about the guitar ...

littlebadboy likes this.
  5. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I like the single ply white PG. Very 60's era.

I still have a STL-62 in the box, like this guy here. Friend found it on CL for me.
    [​IMG]

jlem3 likes this.
  6. jlem3

jlem3 TDPRI Member

sweet ... hows the neck on that guy? I love the rosewood and the sunburst ... my fav

7. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I believe it's the same neck that comes on my SJM. Med thickness. I should measure those 2 & compare.

8. jlem3

jlem3 TDPRI Member

@Fourstringclover I installed the Fender Tex-Mex pups in my tele....Fender suggests 0.22uf Cap on the tone pot...whats your take on this? you mentioned a mod with a switch to select two difernt caps...Thinking might wanna try this out ...suggestions on what 2 to try? schematic plans to install..HELP? lol

9. Fourstringclover

Fourstringclover TDPRI Member

Sorry for the delayed response, ran out of data. But yea the .022 is a good place to start. I have found the vintage value of .047 to be a tad on the dark side. I recently installed a set of fender N4s on a strat that also called for a .022 aswell, so this may be standard for fender now? Also dont feel like you have to stay in between the two either, I and others use much lower values somtimes, tho I havent gone below .006 myself. It just let's more upper mids thu, and you can actually turn it below 7 or 8. Not to mention the price for vintage ones of the standard values will usually be 10x the price of others.
    If you want to put a switch in you may as well use a on-on-on toggle to use 3 caps instead. Just dont try 3 large wax ones like I did. They fit but barely. You could do all 3 of the same type with diff values like mine, or you could do 3 types of caps with the same value. As for fender type caps, I've only tried wax and orange drops, but I like the paper in oil and mylar caps too. 400-600 volts max, fenders were like 50-100 i think, Gibson used 400v back in the day at least. I know some good sellers I can direct you to also. I've acquired a little collection myself. Whatever you decide on I will draw you up a wiring scematic, it's fairly simple.

10. Fourstringclover

Fourstringclover TDPRI Member

On my CV tele for an example... and back to stock with another plate

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.