Looking for Ideas on upgrading my SX Furrian

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by jlem3, Sep 10, 2019 at 8:37 PM.

1. jlem3

jlem3 TDPRI Member

Hey guys and gals...This is my very first post and I'm a new to mods and custom work on guitars... Have been playing off and on for years and turned 40 this year and decided to start spending quality time at home....so long story short I read on a forum 2 years ago about the quality of these SX Furrian Teles compared to the squire ...never owned a Tele always been a strat guy...so I bought one...it came , im digging it...for a buck and a quarter impressed....well I want to upgrade it...bought a graphite nut and saddles today...looking for feedback on other ideas for mods and if any problems anyone have run into doing them...I want a lil heads up if u will...I def want locking tuners and t change the pick guard cause t looks cheap. THANKS!

Skydog1010 likes this.
  2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No idea what's on your guitar, or if/how this will fit or how much modding you'd have to do to get it to fit, but putting a vintage-style 3-saddle bridge (albeit with compensated saddles for intonation's sake) got me more of what I like out of my MIM Standard Tele.

Electronics (pots, switches, caps etc.) have a good cost-to-effect ratio, and pretty much anything you do (short of catastrophic damage) is reversible.

Skydog1010 and jlem3 like this.
  3. jlem3

jlem3 TDPRI Member

thanks, I bought a set of individual graphite saddles ... the bridge plate looks pretty unique to , I like how it has no sides to it for Palm mutes and it's pre drilled so I already ran the strings through the bridge plate instead of the body to get that slinky feel and harmonics ... idk I kinda like it...I just switched the tip out from a top hat to a fender round on the 3 way switch... it kept falling off so I took 1/8 heat shrink tube and shrunk it on the switch and the knob is on right now...have you messed around with the SX Furrians?

4. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not at all, though I've heard of them and they seem like good guitars to try whatever wild idea you have on.

If I recall correctly, @blowtorch has a few SX's. Maybe he has some ideas.

jlem3 likes this.
  5. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Ive got a few. He's changed a lot since Rondos glory days. Now you get staggered ferrules on a modern bridge, but some have an ashtray.
    Does yours have the fatter neck?

I'd just plan on a 4 way switch & decide if you like the pickups or not. Replace the pots as needed.

I've left the tuners on them.

jlem3 likes this.
  6. jlem3

jlem3 TDPRI Member

7. jlem3

jlem3 TDPRI Member

neck is thin but I like it... I'm gonna throw some noisless genn4s on it I think ... or any suggestions ? I saw the fishman gristlemasters ?? greg Koch... man I'd love that but 350 buxks

8. jlem3

jlem3 TDPRI Member

...tunners seem decent ... u have experience with them? they stay in tune well? u own a SX?

9. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

SX parts are not interchangeable with Fender, for the most part,
    so upgrades can be hard to do.

Skydog1010, bgmacaw and jlem3 like this.
  10. jlem3

jlem3 TDPRI Member

... seeing that pickgaurd is different ... prolly have to send out for a custom one ... but swapping pickups and pots should be alright ? I like the bridge plate ... swapping saddles

11. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Here's what I did to my 2005 SX STL-50 (the older version of the Furrian). As was mentioned above, Fender parts are not directly interchangeable but can be made to fit with a little creativity.

[​IMG]

The bridge pickup is a GFS 50's Repro and the neck is a GFS Vintage P90 rehoused in a raw nickel-silver enclosure. I also swapped in a vintage style Tele bridge that required some routing to get it to fit. I upgraded the electronics too with CTS pots and a oil and paper cap. Mint green pickguard is from Guitar Madness on Ebay and it needed a slight shave to fit it into position. I didn't swap out the tuners until earlier this year when I put in an inexpensive set of locking tuners.

I currently have the action set a bit high to accommodate slide playing. Here's what it sounds like...

12. jlem3

jlem3 TDPRI Member

@bgmacaw Love what you did with the Song and the Guitar...Great Job! did the pickgaurd you bought off ebay fit the screw holes after shaving it down? or did you have to drill new holes? the Fender one I bought with a lil shaving and a slight twist it lines up and and I would have to drill a few new holes...I bought tex mex pick up set today and a fender pickgaurd , installed the new nut tonight and started stripping things and figuring where and what...got less than 300 bucks invested total as of now got get locking tuners and swith out caps and pots and select switch...think im gonna reverse the switch vol tone run them backwards and swith tone and volume...proly have 400 tops invested and it will sound and play as good as a Mexican tele for sure

13. jlem3

jlem3 TDPRI Member

IMG_20190826_102058058_HDR.jpg IMG_20190911_213742177_HDR.jpg

14. jlem3

jlem3 TDPRI Member

this is the before ... and now it's on the bench

15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Here are the mods I do on low cost guitars:

-Fret rocker on all the frets next to each string, dot the high points. If more than a couple then consider a full fret level
    -Pots, Switch, jack

Leave the stock pickups, unless you want to change pickup styles like from a Strat to a P90.
    Leave the tuners but always 'tune up' the guitar, if overshooting pitch then drop a half step lower and 'tune up' to pitch.
    Leave the nut
    Leave the trem block, sustain is from how much string overhangs the nut and saddles to stretch and create friction that dampen and stop sustain.

Cautions regarding:
    -"upgrade the nut!" it's a cheap item to buy but an easy item to screw up and make the guitar unplayable.
    -"String upsize!" make sure to adjust the nut, same caution. Sometimes runs out of intonation saddle travel

jlem3 likes this.
  16. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My SX Furrian MN Ash 3TS is in my avatar. It has the forearm bevel and belly cut, like a Strat. The neck is fairly thick compared to my Squier. Just about everything on it has been changed, but it was my learning platform. Did it all need to be changed? No, but I was learning on it. It now has Grover Mini-Tuners, a TUSQ XL nut, Fender OV Pups, Gotoh Chrome Plated Brass Saddles and full 4 way switching with Oak Grigsby switch, CTS Pots and Orange Drop cap, wired in '50's style wiring. It was also my first fret level and dress.

While it's my heaviest T style, it's a great player and sound awesome.

jlem3 likes this.
  17. jlem3

jlem3 TDPRI Member

thanks man ... I'm trying to learn how to do some of these mods... I heard good things about the sxfurians and for 126 shipped with a bound body I figured it wouldn't make me too upset if I messed it up and it looks really sharp...my first tele always been a strat guy but damn im sure loving the tele thanks for the insight

18. jlem3

jlem3 TDPRI Member

I almost bought the 2TS cause I wanted a 3TS BI but has not been avail for long time...so I got the powder Blue Bound Body...Great minds think alike cause this is my learner guitar, O goy the tusq nut installed tonight and bought tex mex pickups tonight .. ..think its gonna sound great

19. Fourstringclover

Fourstringclover TDPRI Member

I also will recommend the 4 way switch as it's not that difficult, only a few bucks more than a 3way, and ads another sound that's kind of humbucker like. I just made a 4 way harness for someone, and I added a mini toggle to select either a Mallory ceramic dime cap, or a black beauty style cap of lower value. Tuned out nice, my tele was getting a bit jealous.

Caps are a fairly cheap upgrade, at least compared to pickups. Paper in oil caps are smooth and warm, orange drops are much clearer and sharp to me but it just depends on what you want.

Also reccomend the 50s wiring mod. Eventually I'm going to add a switch to go direct to the jack, so that's another idea for you. Then you could use all 4 switch positions with or without the pots.
    Could just use the 4way to do bridge direct if you dont like the series mode too.

jlem3 likes this.
  20. jlem3

jlem3 TDPRI Member

@Fourstringclover great ideas ... I got everything I mentioned o above installed ..r8ight now I'm sanding saddles graphite saddles cause they don't line up perfect ..after all set up and playable again I'll see about the switch and the caps ... all accessible without stripping strings off ... kinda interested in the caps maybe adding 2 and a toggle switch .here's before and after so far.... IMG_20190826_102112020_HDR.jpg IMG_20190913_123225068_HDR.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.