Looking for hum-cancelling tele pickups, feeling a bit lost

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Ash-517, Aug 16, 2021.

1. DisharmonicDark99

DisharmonicDark99 TDPRI Member

I feel like the Hot Stack Tele pickup gets overlooked a lot. I used this one for quite a while and it worked great. Definitely no hum, and while it did have a bit warmer tone to it than the traditional pickup I had in their previously I thought it still gave me a pretty good proper Tele tone: https://www.seymourduncan.com/single-product/hot-stack-tele

2. eichaan

eichaan Tele-Holic

The Fralins are super (I visited their shop here in Richmond a few years ago), but I can't afford them, nor can I solder. So I ended up putting Mojotone Quiet Coil solderless pickups in my Baja tele and it has never sounded better. Their wiring instructions were terrible, but the customer support was good.

timbraun likes this.
  3. Joelski144

Joelski144 TDPRI Member

The trade-off with any humbucking, or noiseless pickup in a Tele is you will be sacrificing some of the signature Telecaster sound while gaining hum cancelling feature of the two coil design. I've been a fan of Seymour Duncan pickups for 40 years, and settled on a set of the Paisley vintage style pickups, but what you're looking for is either a stacked, or side-by-side twin coil design. Pups like the Little '59, or Hot Rails pickup will give you hum cancelling, with an added boost in output. If you're looking to drive your amp a little more, in addition to getting rid of the 60 cycle hum, give the Hot Rails a shot; you'll hit the front end harder and distort with less volume. If that's not a want, or requirement, perhaps consider a better quality single coil and upgraded wiring, embrace the hum and revel in the true Tele sound! After all, it's a Tele. They make LP's and Strats for those other sounds.

4. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Afflicted

I just got a set of Mojotone 67's (for a MIJ Strat) and they are spectacular. Pretty darn quiet too, almost like being in hum cancelling position.

5. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Area Ts or Wilde, I like them both!

benderb9 likes this.
  6. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

+1 for Mojotone's "quiet coil" system. I put a Broadcaster in my Esquire and I couldn't be happier.

7. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I like your description of Lawrence pickups as "hi fi." It's almost spooky how quiet and smooth they are, yet the Tele spirit lives in them. The L-298TL is a little hotter and grittier. Tried one, found that the 290 is more my style, since I like playing clean much of the time. Since TDPRI pointed me in their direction, I've been hooked.

benderb9 and Grateful Ape like this.
  8. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Just to echo what others have said here. I haven't tried any noiseless Tele pickups, but I've tried a LOT of Strat ones, and the best are Dimarzio Areas and Lawrences, so I'm in agreement with many others here. And, also in agreement with them, the Areas are closer to the sound of a vintage Fender single coil, while the Lawrences have a more hi-fi sound, which is VERY pleasing though.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    Grateful Ape and Timbresmith1 like this.
  9. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Brookdale swears by his Kinman's.

GPoint and Timbresmith1 like this.
  10. Tsteleplayer

Tsteleplayer TDPRI Member

My suggestion is Dimarzio area t or Seymour Duncan vintage stacks for bright tele sound. I had a lil 59 and hated it.I also tried SD hot rails which are quite hot so backed them down way low and they are playable but lost bright sound. In fact they are for sale if anyone is interested. All depends on what sounds you desire to get out of your tele.

11. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

I love the Barden’s.
    The Kinman were pretty good also.
    I can handle EMG’s but battery space?o_O

Mojojonesing and GPoint like this.
  12. ucnick

ucnick Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have Lawrence pickups, and currently also have Fralins and Mojotones, and tbh I think I like the Mojotones best of all. Meaty and lots of cut but they don't have the bridge ice pick tone, which I truly dislike.

13. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Of every pickup I have heard not only are the Bardens the best noiseless pickups they are the best pickups period.

Mojojonesing and Timbresmith1 like this.
  14. jwag

jwag Tele-Meister

The Dimarzio Area T’s are excellent sounding pickups with the bonus of being noiseless. One of the best sounding Tele’s I’ve ever heard was loaded with them …killer tone. Noiseless or not, the Area T is a great set of pickups. If I wanted noiseless in a Tele, no question that’s what I’d put in one. Good luck

Grateful Ape and JukeJointJunkie like this.
  15. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I think hum is the telecasters middle name. Fender Hum Telecaster. The headstock was just not big enough to get the whole name. In my opinion hum is part of the tele sound. It’s only really a problem when you aren’t playing

mkdaws32 and Timbresmith1 like this.
  16. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

In one respect, I agree. I like a pickup with character. I can accept noise as a byproduct if the sound is in the pocket.

Recalcitrant and mkdaws32 like this.
  17. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

...It's also a problem when you're playing quiet slow stuff next to neon lights, or under fluorescent lights.

If I have control over the environment, like I do at home, and can replace fluorescent tubes with LED tubes, then stuff like that helps a lot. Unfortunately, I don't have control over any other environment.

I'll also repeat that the DiMarzio Area-series should not be lumped in with other stack-type pickups, because the tech is different. IMO, the Area T neck is one of my favorite Tele neck pickups ever, regardless of whether it reduces/removes hum or not. Same thing with the Area 67 (for Strats) - it's on par with my favorite Strat neck single coils, regardless of whether or not it reduces/removes hum.

IMO, this doesn't have to be an absolute one or the other decision - some guitars can have traditional single coils, while others can purposefully have hum-removing designs, unless someone insists on just having one guitar.

gdsmithtx and Grateful Ape like this.
  18. RidiculousWonk

RidiculousWonk TDPRI Member

I think I’m about to take the plunge on Fishman Greg Koch Signature pickups. My practice space is noisy as heck and regular single coils drive me crazy. I wasn’t thrilled with the Fender Ultra Noiseless Vintage pickups that I tried, so I’ve been leaning towards an active solution.

ndcaster likes this.
  19. fretknot

fretknot TDPRI Member

Wilde Noisefree singles are a good value and have good tone.

benderb9 likes this.
  20. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

These would be my suggestions. I have the Duncan stacks in a CV Tele Deluxe and Area T's in a strat. No issues with either. The Wilde's mentioned above are interesting too but I have not used or heard them

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.