Looking for help with custom wiring

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by palbjorno, Apr 19, 2021.

1. palbjorno

palbjorno TDPRI Member

I am in the planning stages of modding my Ibanez Talman, and I want to change the pickups to a lipstick in the neck (stock), and a Mojo Pickups wide range gold foil. I would like to use a three way switch to switch between neck alone, one coil of the wr, and full humbucker. I am sure I need to use a super switch to do it, but how would I wire it?

Thanks

2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Seymour Duncan has a scheme for a standard three way blade switch and a push pull on one of the pots. the P-P would make the bridge PU single or humbuck.

jfgesquire and guitar_paul1 like this.
  3. palbjorno

palbjorno TDPRI Member

Thanks, but I don’t want pullpots or any additional switches. I want to step through gain stages with the switch, and I don’t want to use both pickups together. I know, I know, it sounds weird:D

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
  4. YYZman

YYZman TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

To clarify:

Position 1 - lipstick
    Position 2 - 1 coil of humbucker
    Position 3 - full humbucker?

And you’re not looking to combine the neck pickup with the humbucker at all?

5. palbjorno

palbjorno TDPRI Member

That’s right. Sorry for being so unclear.

6. YYZman

YYZman TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

It should be possible with a 3 way blade, similar to early Strat wiring.

It’s just a question of how you would wire the switch to activate both coils of the humbucker in the last position, though that can probably be done by jumping 2 terminals

SRHmusic likes this.
  7. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Sorry this won't be exactly what you want. I don't think you can with a standard three way switch.

I was thinking a Strat 5 way switch and treat the humbucker wires as if they were two different singles.

That gives you:
    Neck
    Neck + neck side coil of the Humbucker
    (preferably RWRP to the neck)
    Humbucker neck side coil
    Humbucker
    Humbucker bridge side coil

You could leave the bridge side coil completely off the tone circuit.

8. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

I think you could achieve what you're looking to do with a standard Tele 3 way switch. But I'd need to confirm it with a multi-meter (sorry, can't get to that right away).

See the diagram below for a typical Tele wiring (which is not the wiring you should use!) The white wires shown are coming from the two pickups.

See how lugs on the left half of the switch are connected to the right half? If you don't connect the halves, I think you can devote one side to the hot leads and the other side to a ground connection and pull off what you're looking for.

Try this out (requires a multi-meter set to beep for continuity).

Let's use the left side to connect the pickup's hot leads to the input lug of the volume pot. The top left lug should be common (i.e. active in all switch positions). Connect that to the input lug of the volume pot. With the selector in the forward position, use your meter to find the lug on the left that has continuity with the common lug (which I think is top left). Connect your neck pickup to that. Connect your bridge pickup to either of the other two on the left side and jumper that to the remaining lug on the left.

Use the right side to dump half of the bridge pickup to ground with the selector in the middle position. So...bottom right lug should be common - connect that to ground (back of vol pot?). With the selector in the middle position, find the lug on the right side that has continuity with that lower right lug (common, going to ground). Connect the series link of the humbucker to that lug.

I think that's all you need to do. There may be some differences depending on the switch, but if you can find the common on each side, you can adjust my instructions above based on your tests with a continuity tester.

A multi-meter that beeps is a beautiful thing :)

upload_2021-4-19_21-54-33.png

9. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

What you want can't be done with a plain ol' Tele 3-way switch. You can get what you want with a 5-way switch, but it also gets you two additional sounds.

Note: the color codes I used here are Duncan and a few other makers'. Your particular humbucker needs to have four wires plus shield to split the coils per this diagram; the color codes for your pickup may not be the same.

[​IMG]

10. palbjorno

palbjorno TDPRI Member

11. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

How about a standard 3 way blade switch.

One side of the switch:
    common to volume pot
    humbucker to bridge and middle positions
    SC to neck position

Other side of switch:
    common to ground
    center tap of humbucker to middle position

Neck pickup
    Middle - one coil of humbucker (no neck pickup)
    Bridge - full humbucker

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.