Looking for help with a MIM Tele bridge/saddles

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RegularJim, Jan 8, 2019.

1. RegularJim

RegularJim TDPRI Member

Hello,

This has probably been asked before, but...

I have a 2001 MIM Standard Tele. It has a "modern" bridge, that is, it has 6 chrome block bridges and there are no "sides". I would like to change it to a more vintage style, but would like it to have these features...

- six separate brass barrel saddles, but could live with three.
    - the "sides"
    - drop into a 2001 MIM Standard Tele
    - no plugging or drilling of holes
    - proper string spacing

I found some different ones on Amazon, but some reviewers say they fit, while not for others.

If any of you have done this modification and can recommend a product, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks for reading!

Damitboy likes this.
  2. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

The G&L ASAT Classic box bridge is exactly what you are looking for. Not sure if 2001 MIM use the vintage 4 hole plate or not

[​IMG]

3. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

I doubt that the ASAT will fit a Fender. Fender does make a six saddle vintage bridge, but the saddles are steel. Check with some of the specialty suppliers like Glendale and Rutters.

4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would never want those saddles compared to what was on the MIM bridge...

Seems like a lot of trouble to get the sides, why are the sides so desirable?

I hate how that style of saddles feels for controlling muting.

DHart and bender66 like this.
  5. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

If you can live with three, then do that- there's plenty of pros and cons about the 6-saddle "rattle hammer" bridge and I'm sure there's any number of folks out there who love them, but if you really want the vintage vibe and such, the classic three-saddle is the way to go. Go all in or don't go at all - my 2 cents.

I understand why people like the security of having a six-saddle bridge and more power to 'em. I'm not evangelical about either style, evabody gots to find their own path. But you owe it to yourself to try the real deal - and there is a ton, a f***-ton, of info here on TDPRI about how to intonate the sacred three-saddle. Personally, I use both compensated and plain barrel and they both work fine.

Just my 2 cents

If you check out the bridge/saddle combos on StewMac, they have diagrams with precise measurements, so you can at least figure out what works. Stew Mac tends to be a little pricey, plus sort of expensive shipping, but their stuff is generally reliable.

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...aditional_3-Saddle_Bridge_for_Telecaster.html

Damitboy and boris bubbanov like this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This will bolt right onto the guitar but it doesn't work well on a FMIC guitar. Why? because the G + L product has a much wider heel and the string spacing you are locked into with this bridge means one or possibly both E strings will play or maybe even BE over the edge of the fretboard ON THE FENDER. Because the heel of the G + L is wider the problem is not evident.

Everybody knows how I hate the Fender version of this 6 "hammer" saddle bridge. But in brass form, the vibrations are damped down I guess and the machining can stand to be so much more precise (love working with brass!) and in G + L form, maybe your guitar can go 5 weeks without needing triage (maybe the Fender version needs help every 5 days).

So, use this product on your G + L playthings but do not waste time installing them on FMIC or FMIC template products.

7. boris bubbanov

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  8. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Without the sides you're pretty much asking for your existing bridge.

9. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

10. boris bubbanov

Bones, I think the Iceman's highly unusual use of the Capo enabled him to use to those awful things. If he had the strings fully mobilized over the entire scale, to the nut, this saddles would've been askew halfway through every set.

Sorry.

11. Bones

Granted, I don't play sets, but do not have any troubles with the bridge. It's always been very stable.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The six barrel designs will rattle on you. I have one guitar with them and they rattle. I put little slips of paper between them and squeeze them so they don't rattle. Eventually I'll replace with three barrel style.

Look up the Bubba Mod to put three barrel style on an existing bridge plate.

The sides of the bridge get in the way if you play down by the bridge pickup (country twang area).

You need the bridge sides if you want to put an ashtray cover on the guitar (for noise reduction).

13. RegularJim

RegularJim TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the excellent data, but after some consideration I believe I'll just keep the modern ones.

14. Bones

I get mine set up the way i like it and put a little dab of Elmer's on each set screw, stops the rattles and the screws stay set until you need to use them again for a new set up.

15. Damitboy

Damitboy TDPRI Member

cool, just what I needed that helps my cause...so many sites are vague bout dimensions... allright..

16. Damitboy

Damitboy TDPRI Member

all right i need to get a modern
    block saddle on my ax i have a 6 barrel w/ sides and i dont like it. its a mim nashville dlx 2010... weird huh...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.