Looking for help wiring a blend pot!

gb Custom Shop

Tele-Meister
I used a 0.8mm tip, and thinned down the clear (crystalac brite-tone) with maybe 8-10% retarder. It was Mica (also from crystalac), which is much finer than any flake, and it sprayed out pretty good. I was scared of enduring any drips, that's why I went with the finer tip.

samueldixon

TDPRI Member
I used a 0.8mm tip, and thinned down the clear (crystalac brite-tone) with maybe 8-10% retarder. It was Mica (also from crystalac), which is much finer than any flake, and it sprayed out pretty good. I was scared of enduring any drips, that's why I went with the finer tip.
Nice I use a 0.8 tip to spray anyways, I always just assumed it would be too small to add anything like that. I'll give that a shot.

Do you use the mica in both the paint and the clear?

gb Custom Shop

Tele-Meister
Nice I use a 0.8 tip to spray anyways, I always just assumed it would be too small to add anything like that. I'll give that a shot.

Do you use the mica in both the paint and the clear?
I've done it both ways.

The example above just had Mica in the clear. I did a test with Mica in the paint, and the Mica just didn't really exhibit itself, it felt like it drowned a bit. Mica in the clear gives the most shimmering effect.

However, on another guitar I used some paint with Mica premixed into it. I also added more Mica to the paint. It just doesn't shimmer the same as the 'pink champagne' one, although it has a cascading look to it from the paint gun sputtering, which I think is cool.
20211126_141726.jpg

samueldixon

TDPRI Member
Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 12.54.05 PM.png

Hi so a little confused about this diagram as well, are there supposed to be jumper wires connecting the lugs that look like a "X" in this image? That feels wrong to me but I'm not sure what else it could mean.

Also I get that my hot (white) pickup wire should be soldered to the middle lug but where does the black ground wire go? Just solder to the back of the pot?

Zepfan

Doctor of Teleocity
A simple way to do it would be the old JBass wiring: 2 volumes and a master tone.

To answer your ? above, black ground wire solders to back of pot.

samueldixon

TDPRI Member
A simple way to do it would be the old JBass wiring: 2 volumes and a master tone.

To answer your ? above, black ground wire solders to back of pot.
Thanks, there should be two small wires connecting the lugs in that "X" pattern though right?

samueldixon

TDPRI Member
Good luck, and share the results with us. I am planning to do the same (blending pot) on my next build.

Not getting any sound from the pickups which is not much of a surprise haha. For some reason it's very difficult to connect a cable to the jack, I think something might be up there but I'm also sure my shockingly amateurish soldering is not helping...