Looking for help to verify "Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster 2014"

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by tap4154, May 2, 2020.

1. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've had a nice flamenco guitar for sale on Reverb for over a year (niche market, hard to sell), and was just contacted by a seemingly legit seller to trade for his 2014 American Deluxe Start (by the serial # it could be 2010-2016). Does this look stock? Seems to me they had noiseless pickups, these aren't. Also thought they had the S-1 option, and when I look up the serial # it says it should be HSS, but it's SSS. Also has no string tree on the HS. Am tempted to do the trade, even if it's been altered, plus a little cash from him. TIA for any help.

https://reverb.com/item/33295362-fe...tratocaster-2014-sunburst-w-tsa-2-flight-case

Strat Lookup.png

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

He says right in the ad the pickups and S1 system have been changed :D

3. tap4154

Thanks. I wasn't sure what he meant by that. Thought maybe he meant the S-1 wasn't working. Messaged, but haven't heard back yet. From my searches it seems to me it was HSS and someone changed it to SSS without the S-1, using some type of custom shop pickups. I'd be fine with that, and wouldn't mind having a nice American Strat...

howardlo likes this.
  4. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

Just to point out the LSR roller. That's an after market add, and I believe means cutting into the neck to fit it. I had one on an Ibanez Roadstar and when I went to sell it, I was told even though those are good in lots of ways, the decreased the value of the guitar significantly. That was my experience. Something to consider.

5. tap4154

He just replied saying that it was probably an HSS because of the roller nut, and to him it looks like the previous owner installed a Fender pre-wired SSS pickguard. That's what I suspected. He sent a few pics.

Strat PG.png Strat PU.png Strat Cavity.png

6. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

Seems transparent about it, so if it's something you'd like, might be worth it. I had a flamenco I had trouble selling too. Paid almost 2k for it but no one would buy close to that price. I sold it finally but took a bath on it.

7. tap4154

Yeah he does seem very transparent on it. I already cut the price of the flamenco by half, now at $1,600, and I DO like that Strat. I think I might go for it, and we'll sell to each other, with him paying the difference in our listed prices ($325). So in the end, it's a trade with him paying $325. That way Reverb is happy, and we both have protection. He did offer to add cash BTW.

8. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

Yes, and you might check his policies and see if there is a return policy if something is wrong when you get it. I would definitely stay on Reverb doing it. They have saved my bacon a couple times and if I had gone off them, I would have been screwed. I say go with your gut. Seems like you're getting at all the right questions here.

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  9. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

I checked his policies and it's as is. Common. I do that. So, just make sure you get everything covered you want, and in the even it arrives as something different you'll have a paper trail. That happened to me and Reverb stood behind me.

10. tap4154

Mine is as-is as well. Yes, I want to keep the protections and proposed that to him. Waiting for a response.

Here's my flamenco:

https://reverb.com/item/15270832-amalio-burguet-f-1-flamenco-2002-spruce-cypress

11. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

Man, that's super nice. Mine was a Francisco Navarro. I think I payed more for it than I should, but I just never took off with it. I ended up buying an older Japanese Takamine that was cool. I wish I had the motivation because I love the music. Hopefully someone will snag it at that great price.

12. tap4154

I had many sniffers, but no bites. It really is a beautiful guitar and sounds awesome, I just never took to playing classical or flamenco, and want it in the hands of someone who will enjoy it. It's just a shame to have it sitting here in a case. And it IS a great deal. I still have a cheaper classical I can play if I get the urge as well.

gregj1964 likes this.
  13. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The HSS models had stock LSR nuts which by the way kick MAJOR behind :)

Stock pickups were horrible though so a new pickguard with nice single coils is a major plus.

2014 Deluxes are great guitars and have an upgraded tremolo with a real heavy steel block.

tap4154 likes this.
  14. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the correction. Didn't realize they were stock.. Good to know.

15. tap4154

Thanks for the info, sounds like it might be a great deal. I'm not sure about the price on it, I think it's pretty much in line, plus it comes with the TSA case.

16. tap4154

The trader is concerned if the guitar can take the "beating" that Gabriela, of Rodrigo Y Gabriela subjects her guitars too. This is the style he wants to learn. I suspect so, since it's designed with tap plates and for flamenco style, but left it to him to decide. I'm not in the market for a Strat anyway, just would be fine doing this trade if he decides to. If not, I'll just let her ride on Reverb.

Clip (cool stuff)

17. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

This one would be a 2010-spec model - based on the DZ9 serial number and the black pearloid dots; this would be the first runs of the 3rd generation American Deluxe. The first batches of the 2010 spec models had components made in late 2009 - typically Fender would have wanted product in the pipeline when the guitar was introduced. Normally Fender likes to introduce new USA models either at or near the time of the Winter NAMM shows in January, but for some reason they didn't introduce these until about March 2010 - I believe they might have had some issues with the first batches of the pickups so they held off on releasing them until they had the issues ironed out.

So being a 2010 spec it's going to have the 9.5-14" compound radius neck; earlier American Deluxes would have had a regular 9.5" radius, and they also would have had blue-green abalone dots on both maple and rosewood fingerboard models. The stock HSS pickup set would have been 2 N3 noiseless single coils and a Fender DH-1 humbucker.

Fretting out likes this.
  18. tap4154

Good info, thank you very much. Yes I had noticed the DZ9 in the serial number versus the US in most of them that I saw online. I also believe it is a compound radius neck, and that's what the seller said. That the old pickups were replaced with a drop-in pickguard makes sense if they were having problems with the early pickups.

19. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

They didn't release the guitars until the pickup issue had been corrected. I would imagine a previous owner liked the guitar but didn't like the HSS set that came on it and swapped in the traditional pickups.

Fender used 2 different serial number formats in 2010 - aside from still using up the Z9 decals in early January. They first started using a "10" prefix followed by a 6-digit number for a 10xxxxxx format. Around April they switched to the "US" followed by 2 digits for the year then 6 digits for the individual number for a US10xxxxxx format.

Also in 2010 they dropped their convention of putting a "D" as the first prefix letter for American Deluxes that they had started when the first American Deluxes came out in 1998.

I'm not sure how many American Deluxes were made with the 10xxxxxx format since they didn't release them to the public until about March 2010; the American Deluxe production may have skipped from the first batchs with DZ9 numbers to the US10 format.

20. tap4154

Thanks for the info. So it's an early 2010 Strat, which is fine by me. He hasn't responded back so I don't know if he found another flamenco or not. If he wants to learn that percussive Gabriela style, he might be better off getting a cheap one that he can abuse anyway.

Edit: He did decide to go another direction, so anyone looking for a great flamenco... :D

Last edited: May 3, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.