1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking for headphones

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Canuckcaster, Apr 26, 2012.

1. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

I got through several sets of "consumer" headphones before going for studio jobs. In my case AKG K240. These are 55ohm and as noted above do take a bit of extra power to make them move and do have a flat response, as they should for recording.

Some practice amp headphone outputs are dual purpose line output which is not enough to drive the cans and I end up with the amp cranked to 11 and which just sounds bad. So I put the line signal through a PV Microbass which I use as a headphone amp. I could use a line-input to a hi-fi amp etc as a headphone amp. The PV just happens to be available, portable, mono and bullet-proof, and has a proper headphone level output.

Tip - if you are going to play at 2am with the cans on then do make sure the speakers are actually shut off before rocking out at maximum! :oops:

2. Brian blaut

Brian blaut Friend of Leo's

I like whatever Sony headphones are the ones meant for monitoring and cost around $100 (MDR-7506?). I've had the same pair for about 10 years. They sound great!

3. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

I have a several pair each of Sony 7506s and AKG 240s. The 240s are a bit more neutral and more comfortable, but they are not as rugged as the 7506s.

I prefer the 240s when tracking voice, the 7506 for guitar or bass. I don't mix with cans, except to listen to my stereo image.

Shure E3s are good with iPods if you like isolation.

4. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

My problem with headphones is that I am so rough on them I destroy them. I am usually using mine out at concerts and stuff rather than in a studio. I just want some that work...and don't break. I am not even overly concerned about sound quality. Any thoughts on a decent "tough" set of headphones at a reasonble price. I have started just buying the cheapest 5-10 dollar headphones I can buy and trashing them. I am very good with a soldering iron, but a lot of the newer phones are tough to repair. And, we have a lot of trouble with breaking the frames.

5. Canuckcaster

Canuckcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm going out tonight to check out as many of the suggestions that have been posted on here as I can. The Sony and the AKG headphones are at most of the stores nearby so hopefully they have some out on display. Again, thanks very much for all of the help folks. I'll let everyone know if I pick anything up.

CC

6. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

I think the 7506s are extremely rugged. I have a pair in my studio, a pair in my bag, and a pair at the stadium I mix at. I have never broken any. The only reason I replace them is that some people like to "borrow" them!

7. Canuckcaster

Well, I tried a few pairs of headphones last night and came home empty handed. Some of the above suggested that I was able to find were the Beyer Dynamic DT 770 which were broken.:mad:, a couple of Sennheiser pairs (can't recall models) that weren't what I was looking for, and some AKG 240's which are very nice, but quite expensive($190). I might go back and get the AKG's, but I'm waiting to see if I can find some of the Sony MDR-7506's to see if I like them. They seem to be more reasonably priced, and I do like the brand. The search continues.

CC

8. Valvey

Valvey Tele-Holic

9. Hack On Wheels

Hack On Wheels Tele-Meister

I'm more of an in-ear guy, but my long-time favourite is the Shure E4. Don't think you can find them anymore, but the Shure SE425 (dual drivers) were my favourite when I went testing options for new in-ears. Pricey though, so I havvent bit the bullet yet. Shure also makes some well regarded studio quality cans, but I haven't tried them yet.

However, the headphones that I keep by my amp are a pair of random 90s Yamaha headphones that I was given for free. If they sound good... That's all that matters. Try out as many as you can, good luck in your search.

10. theWhiteKeys

theWhiteKeys TDPRI Member

i actually just picked some up today from guitar center...

audio technica ATH-M30

$70 in store, $60 on guitarcenter . com...priced matched amazon and i walked out getting them for $43 after tax awesome deal on some pretty damn good headphones best bang for your buck IMO

11. PinewoodRo

PinewoodRo Tele-Afflicted

Tip - if you are going to play at 2am with the cans on then do make sure the speakers are actually shut off before rocking out at maximum!

It's not just me that's done that then!

12. AlabamaOutlaw

AlabamaOutlaw Tele-Meister

Sony MDR-7506

The best there is dollar for dollar IMHO

13. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Full disclosure: I do the consumer public relations for Audio-Technica. That said: check out the ATH-M50. Don't take my word for it...look at some online reviews. If they're too pricy, you can check out the M40, M30 etc. or the ATH-WS55 Solid Bass headphones at $99 MSRP.

I know Tyll Hertsens and you won't find anyone on the planet more dedicated to headphones!

14. sahiaman

sahiaman TDPRI Member

You might want to check out Ultrasone head phones. My ears never get fatigued while I use them. The sound hits your outer ear before it enters your ear canal, sound very natural and clear.

The ones I have feature the gold tweeter, I did not want to get the titanium one as it's too ridged and will end up fatiguing the ears.

15. Canuckcaster

After looking around most of the weekend I decided to wait until my wife and I are in Vegas to pick something up. Even though the Canadian dollar is above par with the US greenback, I would have to pay 50% more for the same headphones here. If we weren't going down I'd bite the bullet, but seeing as how we will be down there anyway I may as well wait and save a few bucks. So far the AKG 240's are the front runners, especially if they are $100 bucks(they're $190 here). I will be looking for the Sony 7506's before I make my final decision.

Again, thanks very much for all of the input folks.

CC

16. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I have a pair of AKG K271 Studio headphones, they're great. But they're designed to have a relatively flat frequency response, so they may not be for everyone's tastes.

17. cjburr

cjburr Tele-Meister

Audiotechnica M50's are the best bang for the buck, mine have served me well for 2 years now, used them with my GuitarRig5/MacBookPro, my MustangII amp and currently with my iPad3 and an Apogee Jam.

18. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

First off, why?

Second, those Dr. Dre Beats sound terrible. Skullcandy makes better headphones for less.

19. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Studio headphones are supposed to have a flat response, so they do not colour the sound at all. If they did that then you might adjust your mix all wrong.

There's plenty of range in studio cans if you tweak the eq, it's all there - and they don't farrt out and rattle like consumer types do on solo bass notes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.