Looking for fuzz-friendly tremolo....TR-2 is not...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I've always wondered why someone doesn't just sell a patch cord with a 10k or 47k series resistor in it. Maybe it's not the exact same source impedance as a guitar pickup but as far as the fuzz input is concerned (which is just directly into a transistor base after a coupling capacitor in many circuits I've seen) it's probably close enough.

2. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Would you consider building a simple optocoupler (resistive output) tremolo. Drive the LED with an LFO and just connect the photocell to the signal path and ground. When the resistance is low youll attenuate signal when the resistance is high youll get full signal.

A design like that would eliminate any active components from the signal chain.

3. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

I’ve used my Swollen Pickle into a Joyo JF-09 and enjoyed the experience. The Joyo is a good impersonation of the Vox tremolo circuit. I tested it into one or other of the tube AC15s and A/B’d the two... No real difference to my ears.

4. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Something like this

tremolo-sch.jpg

5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

cyclopean likes this.
  6. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I had a Boss FZ-3 that worked well anywhere in the chain. FSB described the circuit as a FF with a muff style tone control. Frusicante used one. I can't speak for the newer boss fuzzes that use COSM but the FZ-3 is a nice pedal and, TTBOMK, analog.

7. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

i've always had most of my fuzz pedals like halfway down the chain on my pedal board and they sound great to me.

8. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Well you said putting a buffered pedal after a germanium transistor fuzz causes absolutely no problem and I was just correcting that falsehood because I have discovered that your comment is not always the fact....just usually.
    You might have meant to phrase it differently in your first post on this thread.
    The O.P. wants to use both pedals.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

He still can ,if he places them in the correct way ,first the fuzz and than the tremolo so that the fuzz doesn't have a buffered signal (either by a buffered pedal or a non buffered pedal that is on) in its input.

Plenty of good reading for anybody wanting to deep dive in the whole "germanium fuzz vs buffer" topic,among other topics, here:

https://www.ramblefx.com/fuzz-tips

10. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I have the same pedal (pitch fork), its always on the right pitch but it adds some strange harmonics to the signal. I dont think the fuzz has an issue with going into a buffered input, after all a triode in a tube amp is a buffered (high impedance) input. I think its just the weird tone the signal processing does in the pitch fork regardless of whats its being fed and I find it becomes more apparent when you run any dirt pedal before it and theres nothing dirtier than a fuzz. I think its something only specific to polyphonic pitch shifters though.

Its pain because a low impedance input fuzz wont respond as Id want after the pitch fork but if you want to use dirt with the pitch fork it has to go after. So theyre just not compatible in my opinion and it is a situation where you need to find a drive your happy to use after.

I still think the pitch fork is as natural sounding as it gets for a pedal, the weird digital harmonics thing is harder to notice on -1 and +1 octave settings. I use at least some dirt after with any other settings (usually drop tuning anyway), to make it sound more natural.

jddub440 likes this.
  11. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

My Boss Tremelo/Pan pedal has a great choppy square wave trem effect, it is completely quiet between the pulses. Sounds like a sequencer with a distorted guitar signal going through it.
    Al

12. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

My Subdecay Flying Tomato Fuzz (no longer made) has an input buffer switch labeled Hi-Z/Lo-Z.

I keep the fuzz first in my chain, but the few times I break out an old Cry Baby the wah goes on the floor in front of the fuzz so I switch on the FTF's buffer.

Don't know if there are other fuzz pedals made with a similar function.

Also - and I understand there are lots of different reasons, nuances and setups - I tend to find that soft trem (waveform &/or level) and fuzz don't result in much -- the fuzz just takes over. A hard trem however can be great.

[​IMG]

13. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Tele-Meister

MXR® CLASSIC 108 FUZZ for example
    https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/m173-7-10137-03956-8.do

Better topic question would have been:
    "Looking for a buffer friendly fuzz"
    instead of
    "Looking for a fuzz friendly tremolo"

14. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

Many of the BJFE/Bearfoot fuzzes have a jFet input, a NPN Silicon transistor second and a NPN Germanium third.

Daisy chain, after other pedals or buffers, doesn’t matter. Sounds awesome.

It’s just science.

15. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

The Walrus Janus may be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.