1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking for First Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by HighlonesomeF5, Aug 15, 2019.

1. MrShadowfan

MrShadowfan NEW MEMBER!

Hello sir! I have the Ac4tv. Can I run the preamp out into my fender deluxe reverb ri speakers? The Ac4tv is 4ohm and the deluxe speaker section is 8ohm but split into 2x12.

2. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

When you are able to visit a music store in person, there is no shame in asking a staff member to demo some amps for you (they generally enjoy showing off) — but there can be a lot of regret for buying an amp you never tried based solely on YouTube videos & people you don’t know on the internet.

3. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Get yourself a boss katana 100 m2 & go from there. I'll bet that will be with you after many tube amps have come & gone over the years to come.
    O.5 - 50 - 100w with effects & more.
    Edit: & learn scales!!!!! practice them at least 15 minuts a night, bar chords the same, in 12 months you'll be good to go. Good choice on the tele btw.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  4. Cloodie

Cloodie Tele-Meister

I think after this time it's probably a case of finding out what amp OP went for rather than giving advice. I'm assuming he's got one now.

5. Tornado

Tornado Tele-Meister

If it doesn't have to be loud (gig volume) you can also try an Orange Micro terror top with an Orange PPC 108 cabinet. A bit more expensive than the Orange Crush 12 but the sound is better in my opinion. You won't get built in effects though. A Boss Katana as Bluey advised in this topic is better when it comes to that.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  6. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Looking at my six amps, I now realize a couple of the purchases were GAS or perceived need rather than any real musical impact. That said, my recommendation is based upon what I own and use, while factoring your $500 budget and playing for self:

Quilter Tone Block 201...works great at 2w (can crank to 200w), has five "voice" settings allowing a multitude of amp sounds especially when adding pedals...takes pedals well, has an effects loop...bulletproof. Small, weighs four pounds. I use this one typically set between 1 and 2w.

A close second (and cheaper used)...Bugera G5 Infinium. Nice tube amp sound, decent reverb, can be set to 5w, 1w, .5w. Has a good OD channel as well. I have this one set to 1w.

Both of the above are amp heads, so the world is your oyster for cabinet and speaker selection. Being a gearhead (as in automotive) I had to tinker, so I purchased two empty cabinets and loaded them with 12" neo speakers to keep the weight down...about a month later the DV Mark Jazz 0208 was on sale and I bought that too. Were I to downsize or do this again with more forethought, I'd go with the Quilter and the DV 0208. ((After all this...my first amp was a Fender Mustang I and it was perfectly good for six years...still is...consider starting with something inexpensive, but flexible enough to keep your interest until you develop your personal tastes wrt tone)). Happy hunting.

Dukex likes this.
  7. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Your right! Should have gone to Specsavers.

Cloodie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.