Looking for First Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by HighlonesomeF5, Aug 15, 2019.

1. HighlonesomeF5

HighlonesomeF5 TDPRI Member

Buying a tele soon. Was thinking of getting an Orange 12 amp to start off and for its portability. I will just play by myself so I don't need to be loud but would like good tone. Thoughts? What would you recommend instead?

I will play all kinds of music.

Thanks

NewKid and sonicsmitty like this.
  2. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

First off, welcome!

What type of music interests you? That would help "us" to narrow down a recommendation. And don't kid yourself - you will get a lot.

Oh, and a budget. We can recommend $2000 amps that will sound glorious, but if you only have $500 to spend, well...

Tubes? Solid state? Digital modelling? There are a lot of really good options out there. If you have a preference, budget, and a sample of what music you would like to play, that would be a great starting point.

3. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Best advice I ever received when it comes to amps is that you can add to the tone, but you can't add more clean. So, get yourself an amp with a good clean which accepts pedals well and at the volume you need. That will be the correct amp regardless of all the gear noise being pushed in forums.

I really think a used Yamaha THR10 belongs on the short list for anyone shopping for their first amp for home playing. Should be able to find on used for less than $150 and it will provide an excellent tone, with good effects, allow for recording, battery mobile, headphones, and compact. Just doesn't get any better.

4. HighlonesomeF5

HighlonesomeF5 TDPRI Member

First, what will I get with an Orange 12. I like many styles so wouldn't want to be to narrow on sound. I would like to keep it at $500 or less if the O12 is not any good. Prefer tubes. Thanks

5. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

Vox AC10
    Fender Pro Jr

Lots of folks like the low watt Bugeras, but I've never played one.

Greggorios, NewKid and Lawdawg like this.
  6. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

I believe the Orange 12 is a solid state amp not tube. I haven't played it so can't comment on how it sounds. In my experience with Orange amps, they sound great but have a fairly specific tone.

For your budget, I'd check out the Katana 50 which lists for $230. It is a digital modeling amp but offers a wide range of tones. Many folks at TDPRI praise the Katana's tones. The Katana also comes with a lot of built in effects, although that also adds a degree of complexity to its use.

For a true tube amp in your budget I'd look at the Fender Pro Jr. which is right around $500. Very simple and straightforward amp but I think it has a great tone.

Dukex likes this.
  7. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The current range of Orange solid state amps are all pretty good sounding, but rather than the 12, go for the 20 or 35. The larger speaker makes a real difference to the presence and feel of the amp. The models with reverb are worth pursuing. A touch o' reverb can make all the difference.

A low cost amp worth looking at is the Joyo JTA-05, aka 'Sweet Baby'. It's a Champ clone, and a good one at that. You'd be amazed at just how much heavy lifting the first Watt does, and a Champ can go crazy loud when you're 5ft from the speaker. Everyone needs a Champ clone in their playing life. You may not realise it yet, but you do.

The Yamaha THR series gets a lot of praise, and it's justified. You don't need glowing glass to get good sounds. What a good solid state or digital modeller will give you that most valve amps struggle to is the easy ability to play along to backing tracks through the same unit. The ability to hook up to your computer for recording your ideas is not to be sniffed at, and most valve amp headphone circuits, for quiet practice, sound dreadful. Not so with the THR/Katana/Mustang type amps.

The digital amps also allow you to play with 'virtual' pedals. Find what you like emulated before laying money down on stompboxes. You could afford a THR/Katana type amp -and- a Champ clone, to scratch every itch.

NewKid and Dismalhead like this.
  8. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would look at the Roland Blues Cubes - Hot, Stage or Artist. I have the Stage, after owning many fine, older tube amps over the years, this one does all I need. Excellent sound, portable, maintenance free basically.

9. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

If I recall correctly, the Orange 12 is the amp one of my granddaughter's opted for several years ago. She didn't stick with guitar playing, so perhaps the amp wasn't that inspiring to her. (Her guitar was an Epiphone Les Paul, $300 or so.) The Orange 12 is a solid state amp. It was designed to "capture the dirty channel of a Rockerverb in solid state form." Orange amps are best known for their crunch, overdriven tones. It's not that the amp can't do clean sounds, but they're not known for that. So I'd look at Orange if Rock is your main thing. But if you want clean tones as much as you want dirty tones, then I'd consider other options. Also, the Orange 12 has a small speaker and sounds kinda "boxy."

I'm thinking it might be helpful to you to get as a starter amp something that will expose you to a variety of amp tones, so a modeling amp could be good for you. There are several makes and models to consider, but I myself have recently been thinking about the Vox VX line. For not much more than the Orange 12 ($129 vs. $99), you could try a Vox VX15 GT. There are 10 different amp models and a Line setting, which would enable you to plug an acoustic/electric guitar into it as well. So you would get a good range of tones, from clean to metal/high gain options. It also has 8 onboard effects.

Or you could start with the next level in the VX line, the VX50 GTV for $100 more. Same amp models and effects, but 50 watts vs. 15 watts. It does, however, have a Power Level that lets you attenuate the output from 50 watts down to 25 watts or lower for home use. It might just be all the amp you ever need, even if you want to eventually take it out to a jam or a small coffee house type gig.

The first for minutes of this video are about the VX15 GT and the VX50 GTV...

10. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

There's probably nothing wrong with getting an Orange 12, but before making any purchase I would try as many amps within your budget as possible, then buy the one that you like best, not the one others tell you to buy.

11. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister

Check out the Blackstar ID:Core 20 for $149. A good compact beginner’s amp with a lot of tones and more volume than you need.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  12. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Telecasters go well with Fender amps. A used Pro Jr or Blues Jr, will be in your price range and will last you a long time.

They are upgradable, portable and expandable with extension cabinets.

YMMV

Edit: Grammar.

Greggorios, Dukex and NewKid like this.
  13. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

Yamaha THR10C is a great portable amp with 5 popular combo amp emulations and great effects. I played it all the time until I got my used Fender Pro Junior IV this week. The PJ is a simple and small tube amp with great tone and plenty of volume.

Good luck in your search and congrats on picking the greatest electric guitar ever made.

Greggorios and Dukex like this.
  14. dsouza

dsouza TDPRI Member

I would look into a vox ac4tv. It’s all tube and you can get a used one cheap. It’s got a 10” speaker but there’s output to add it to a 12” cab should you need.

I used the ac4tv in almost all of my earliest recordings should you wish to hear it in action.

www.youtube.com/u2adrian1000

Greggorios likes this.
  15. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Roland Cube 60 or Roland Cube 40.
    Don't be a dink.

The first and only Tube Amp is the one that is the All Time Keeper - Silver Face Fender Champ.

"ANYTHING with a serious price tag is a serious repair bill in waiting..." -stan:eek::D:eek:

16. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Don't get hung up on 'tubes. Clean amp of any variety and pedals, including stacking, to get your tone.

Matthias likes this.
  17. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

Welcome aboard! For a first amp I would look to spend half of your budget, there may be other toys you want to add. In addition to all of the fine choices mentioned here.
    • Fender Mustang
    • Line 6 Flextone
    • Bugera V22- if you must have tubes but they sound just OK

18. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

Nice playing Dsouza...and great tone outta that little Vox.

19. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Holic

Had a small Bugera. Liked it, but it was pretty dark-sounding. Good for the house and keeping the peace, though. Like, 1/2 W or something.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  20. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Holic

Haven't looked recently but can you still get an older Champ for $500? Love my 5F1 build. Good for a wide variety of sounds from country to blues. Bet you could find an old Silver Face for less than $500...;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.