Looking for Fender Twin tone

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LarryR, Oct 13, 2008.

1. LarryR

LarryR Tele-Holic

in a lightweight, portable package. Does it exist? I love the tone of twins but am not willing to lug a heavy amp anymore. Just looking for some suggestions in this direction. Rivera 1x12's maybe? Used to own the Musicman 2x10- 65 which had a very nice clean to it....anything like that now in a newer package?

2. eggman

eggman Friend of Leo's

Fender red knob Super 112

Howdy,

Hunt for a red knob Fender Super 112/210 or Super 60. They've got great clean tones and don't weigh as much as Twins. Be warned: they aren't exactly featherweights, either. I'm quite pleased with the glassy cleans I get from my trusty Super 112. They're a comparative bargain on the used market. Good luck!

Eggman

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  3. Rumble

Rumble Tele-Afflicted

A lot of it depends on the volume you'll need. If you don't need to crank it and a 1x12 is fine, I think there are a few amps out there that will get there. Maybe a Deluxe Reverb. If you need tons of volume and the headroom to go with it, I don't know if there's another great low weight option.

4. T_red7882

T_red7882 Tele-Afflicted

get a deulxe reverb

5. LarryR

LarryR Tele-Holic

looking for the volume (loud 5 piece) and headroom but not the weight....Deluxe, pros /bandmasters/bassmans don't get me there..The 50 watt Musicmans with EV's, or the 65's capture some of the tone, but not the warmth.....any other ideas

6. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

A Twin's about 70lbs. How heavy an amp are you willing to carry?

7. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Hey Larry, I've got a musicman 2X10 65... it is heavy!

you might try the rhythm channel of a tone king imperial. Mine is very light and can absolutely sound 'twinny'.... I have a twin too... I have a musicman rp 112 (100 watter) gd, that amp sounds good. If you wanna try any of them, let me know when you are up this way and I'll be glad to let you fire'em up.

8. Tim Swartz

Tim Swartz Friend of Leo's

A Twin Reverb is a unique beast, but what about a Dual Showman Reverb and an open back 2x12 cab? Essentially a 2 piece Twin Reverb.

9. LarryR

LarryR Tele-Holic

I guess if I was being more specific, a 35-40 lber in a 1x12 or or 2x10 config.......

10. LarryR

LarryR Tele-Holic

I appreciate the offer.......Tim's idea of seperates sounds like a good idea as well....though I remember dual showman heads are beasts all unto themselves...I am really getting lazy and tired of lugging gear....

11. tiktok

For something that "light", you're looking at Deluxe Reverb (40lbs). You can try juggling speakers to balance efficiency versus weight, but there's not a lot of room to move there, unless you're willing to go with a head/cabinet combo and another trip to the car.

12. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

tone king imperial 25 lbs. two deluxes in one. great amp. not free.

13. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

I use this:

[​IMG]

and one of these:

[​IMG]

(hey, it's been a while!)

Cheers, Tim

14. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

There's a thought!

If you have a Twin already just re-package it in a head cabinet. There's only so much weight you're going to save on the amp itself due to the size of the transformers but when you split it you end up with a 35 pound head and a 35 pound speaker cabinet.

Neodymium speakers shave another 10 pounds off the speaker cabinet. Or you can go with a 2x10" speaker setup that's both light and compact.

A speaker cabinet that's wide enough to stack a Twin on top of is wide enough for 2x12".

Sonny Landreth is currently using a Twin as a speaker cabinet for his Demeter. He carries the entire amp and stacks the Demeter on top of it. The Twin isn't even powered up. He has a couple roadies...:lol:

15. Stan Martin

Stan Martin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

how about a

Pro Reverb with neo speakers? Less weight,slightly less wattage,but enough not to sag when you dig into a low E. To get the Twin vibe you really should have 12"s for the rock solid bottom. Does Allen Amplifiers have a Vibrolux type amp(35-40 watts) with 2 12"s?

16. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Nobody's mentioned a SF Vibrolux Reverb; a lot of people think it sounds like a mini-twin.

17. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

That's myth and urban legend IMHO. How many bass players are playing through 10" speakers starting with the original SVT and culminating with the compact 4x10" rigs that are so popular today?

18. tiktok

Heavier (50lbs) than the OP said he wanted to deal with...

19. LarryR

LarryR Tele-Holic

that I like .....maybe a vibrolux head cab with seperate 2x12 would be a good bet.......good suggestions all around. Curious if anyone has played the Rivera era Concert 1x12's? someone suggested one of these to me.....heavy amps????

20. Stan Martin

Stan Martin Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

myth?

hardly. ported bass cabs,closed back of course and 300 watt rated speakers will handle and give you the bottom end needed. a tube amp combo for guitar reacts differently.

a 2-12" open back cab and a 2 10" open back cab are not even in the same ballpark.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.