1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking For Expertise: 5 Strings Over A 6 String Pickup

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by crisscrosscrash, Mar 23, 2016.

1. crisscrosscrash

crisscrosscrash Tele-Meister

So I'm working on a couple of small sort-of-tenor guitars (or are they big baritone ukes?) - 20.25" scale - and I was considering putting 5 strings on one of them, just for fun...
    [​IMG]

Originally I was thinking I'd have to get some sort of mando pickup made for 5 strings, but then the other day I was at a guitar shop while vacationing in LA, and saw this Schoen MandoCello with 5 strings over a Lollar, with the strings falling centered between the pole pieces...
    [​IMG]

But I didn't have time to try it out and see how it sounded... Anyone have any guesses as to whether there would be any noticeable (or weird) effects of using a 6 string guitar pickup under 5 strings in this way? I know Fender J-basses have strings between poles like this, and I had always understood this was designed to attentuate the attack. I know what that sounds like on a bass... what would the effect be on a guitar? (I know a bent high E string ends up between the poles on a neck pickup - I don't notice any sort of volume dropoff...)

Thoughts? I have a JM p-90 lying around that I could use with this 5 string project, but I don't want to rout for it only to find it sounds odd and wish I had sourced a 5 string pickup...

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't know but you can always use a blade pickup.

3. crisscrosscrash

crisscrosscrash Tele-Meister

True - though I'd much prefer to use the p-90 if I can, mostly because I prefer it, but also because I already have it! (And I could just offset it, leaving one pole uncovered, but that's aesthetically unappealing...)

4. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Keef just removes the pole on the low E for his 5-stringers.

5. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

I am right now building a 4 string 20,706" scale one. I got my PU man make me a blade pickup...

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Works on Fender P & J Basses. I've seen a CGB with a Strat pickup under the lid, didn't seem to make a difference.
    Rail pups or Lipstick Tubes will work if you don't want to go with the other setup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.