Looking for Deluxe Reverb

Jeru

Tele-Holic
I'm looking to buy a *vintage Deluxe Reverb. Not a reissue. My SF Princeton NR can handle
pretty much any room (mic'd). I need something with a bit more power to play the outdoor
shows -- Chicago Area, so maybe like ~May - September.

I sold my TRRI last year. Just turned 45, got to the point where I knew that my days
of getting the twin 1) to my car and 2) into my car without hurting myself were limited.
So -- deluxe reverb. (..?)

I have built amps, I know how to suss 'em out. As long as it's not too hacked up and all the
original transformers are there and in OK shape it almost doesn't need to be working. NOT
trying to solicit messages from you folk, looking to buy local if possible.

SO -- how would you go about it..? CL..? FBM..? WTF..?

Thanks.

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi Jesu!
I'm looking to buy a *vintage Deluxe Reverb.
I think that´s a very good idea!
You might not need another amp, and I´m (almost) sure it will "outplay" your Princeton.

A Deluxe just has more of everything.
Clean, drive, dynamics - you name it ;)

cheers - 68.

P.S.:

I´m very happy with this one - and it doesn't´t even have REVERB!

bf Deluxe Kopie.jpg

jondom22

Tele-Meister
Before plopping down a bunch of money, have you considered just adding an extension 1x12 open back cabinet for the Princeton loaded with a 100db sensitive speaker like a G12H30 anniversary? That’ll bump up your perceived volume a fair bit.

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
Bought mine (1969) about 3.5 years from my favorite local music store-from the owner- for a bit less than $1K, then modded it a bit to run 6L6s and a solid state rectifier into 2X10 JBLs. With my obtaining a '79 Vibrolux Reverb late last year for what amounted to chump change, the DR has been relegated to my practice space, which is a good thing because it inspires me to practice more- not that it helps much. Oh, well!
20190104_001050.jpg

mojavedesert

Tele-Meister
Pro Reverb SF (not reissue) is light to carry, 40 watts, way cheaper than a Deluxe, it's easy to find one. The early 70's have tube rectifier so it has that note bloom thing makes it totally different than ss rectifier amp. I was looking everywhere for a Deluxe, I found the Pro Reverb first, bought it. When I finally found the Deluxe I thought I was going to buy, after I played it for a while, I didn't want it anymore.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Pro Reverb SF (not reissue) is light to carry, 40 watts, way cheaper than a Deluxe, it's easy to find one. The early 70's have tube rectifier so it has that note bloom thing makes it totally different than ss rectifier amp. I was looking everywhere for a Deluxe, I found the Pro Reverb first, bought it. When I finally found the Deluxe I thought I was going to buy, after I played it for a while, I didn't want it anymore.
All of the Fullerton built VRs have tube rectos. Only the later VR Customs (which are not the same thing) don't. SF have 5U4 rather than GZ34s.

The only difference is the late 70s the cab construction changed to ply top and back/MDF sides with dadoed-in baffle. Even the rare 80-81 'Blackface' reprise. They also have pull boost which fortunately if you leave unpulled has no impact.

My 78 had all the above plus blue Astron poly caps, silver Mallory electros and white low voltage bypass caps but much of the tagboard working was cloth covered wires despite the transformers being plastic coated wiring.

FMA

Poster Extraordinaire
I can't help you, but my two gigging amps are a SF Princeton NR and a SF Deluxe Reverb. Both, I think, are 74s. They cover everything I need, from bar and club gigs to outdoor festivals. I got my DR a long time ago, so it probably isn't relevant. I traded a faded LP double-cut to a friend for it, and got some cash in the exchange. (It was a good deal, even though I had to spend a few bucks to recap the DR.)

My advice, for what it's worth, is to take your time looking around. Something will come up. And also, factor a trip to the amp tech into the price to make sure everything under the hood is in order.

hotcoffeenochill

Tele-Meister
I have a 74-ish DR, and here's what I learned in the process/am still learning as I like to read up on any thread involving vintage DRs now that I own one.

The silver panel models will be significantly cheaper than the black panels. Fender changed a lot of stuff over the course of the late 60s through the end of the 70s, so do your research before hand so you know what you may be getting yourself in to. There's the obvious things like the change in the circuit and panel, but then there's other things like the pull-boost and the change in how the baffle/grill gets mounted, original speakers, etc.

This is a good place to get started:

As with all vintage amps, before you pay a premium, try and diagnose how much work has been done/will need done. If you go the silver panel route, a very common thing for people to have had done over the years is to "blackface" the circuit of their silver panel. That should be disclosed to you, but it's hilarious and kind of sad how private sellers (usually not respected shops, but I've had some run-ins with those too) will blatantly not know or just not want to tell you what's beneath the hood. At a minimum, because it's an open back combo and easy to do, you should at least be able to get photos of the speaker and transformer codes to determine originality to that extent.

I'm sure there's a whole lot more that I've forgotten, but that should give you something to chew on for a while. My DR is the amp I keep coming back to. It's a great sound, at a great volume and size/weight. There's a reason they're so ubiquitous.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
1) I'd build a clone with good parts. Probably $800-$1000 and 12+ hours work.

2) If not comfortable building, get a SF Deluxe Rev... any year. Add a loud robust speaker. Recent sales:
DateConditionSold Price
6/17/2022Very Good$1,800
6/3/2022Very Good$1,700
4/24/2022Very Good$1,200
4/17/2022Very Good$1,600
3/31/2022Very Good$1,299
3/31/2022Excellent$2,536.58
3/30/2022Very Good$2,979.74
3/21/2022Very Good$1,600
3/7/2022Excellent$1,800
3/6/2022Very Good$1,500

3) I use a 2 x 6L6 Fender for outdoors, but the DR can work usually.
Bandmaster or Bassman head + after market cab ~ $800?

Reactions: Geo

Rocker7474

NEW MEMBER!
I'm looking to buy a *vintage Deluxe Reverb. Not a reissue. My SF Princeton NR can handle
pretty much any room (mic'd). I need something with a bit more power to play the outdoor
shows -- Chicago Area, so maybe like ~May - September.

I sold my TRRI last year. Just turned 45, got to the point where I knew that my days
of getting the twin 1) to my car and 2) into my car without hurting myself were limited.
So -- deluxe reverb. (..?)

I have built amps, I know how to suss 'em out. As long as it's not too hacked up and all the
original transformers are there and in OK shape it almost doesn't need to be working. NOT
trying to solicit messages from you folk, looking to buy local if possible.

SO -- how would you go about it..? CL..? FBM..? WTF..?

Thanks.
Hi, I build custom hand wired vintage clone amplifiers. Presently I'm working on a 1959 Tweed Deluxe and a 1965 Deluxe
Reverb. Gary

Attachments

• 67951546645__4FB29510-D094-47E7-B440-3274CB40F902.jpg
    67951546645__4FB29510-D094-47E7-B440-3274CB40F902.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 67951548077__431AA25D-9985-48B2-88CB-59E897AF8FE6.jpg
    67951548077__431AA25D-9985-48B2-88CB-59E897AF8FE6.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6592.jpg
    IMG_6592.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 20

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
I would enjoy the hunt- craigslist, FB marketplace etc. I've got a 79 deluxe reverb and it is a great amp- even up against blackface 'better" ones

telepraise

Tele-Afflicted
I had a Deluxe Reverb Reissue for several years and it sounded GREAT but I never got it even up to 3 with a good speaker in it. My Princeton gets the job done fine so I sold the DRRI.

For an outdoor stage, I think might want to consider moving up to a 6L6amp. A Vibroluxe is the same weight as the Deluxe, but 35 watts and 2 x 10. There are plenty of vintage ones on the market.