Looking for Delta Blues songs in Open A - not RJ

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Obsessed, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Just getting into open A tuning by learning a few of Robert Johnson's songs. If I decide to designate a guitar to open A tuning, it would be nice to have some other offerings to learn from, so that I can develop my own Open A stuff. Any suggestions acoustic or electric, slide or finger style, old blues or modern blues. I am already on to Jack White which is my main influence here. Any help and direction would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Does Open G capoed at the 2nd fret count?

Obsessed likes this.
  3. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I don't have any specific song suggestions (well, ok, just one), but if are travelling that trail, you might want to check out Charley Patton. I'm not familiar with his tuning preferences, but the beauty (sometimes) of using one particular tuning is the learning process is adapting songs to fit your tuning.

As noted above, if your version of Open A is simply a whole step above Open G (typically DGDGBD), then Creole Belle, for example is a easy song, recognizable and finger pickers everywhere love hearing it - particularly if you present it with a new take. Mississippi John Hurt, from accounts I've read/heard just played the song in standard tuning (in C). Because the melody is recognizable, it's relatively simple to adapt to an open tuning - but when you work on that adaptation, you learn melody tools and picking patterns (alternating bass lines, etc.) to use for other songs. And then your version is not just another imitation of Fred Sokolow or Roy Book Binder, et al (all wonderful, wonderful players), but it's your own version.

Obsessed likes this.
  4. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Just take any song you like and play it in open a. I do that all the time in open e

Obsessed, 41144 and Fiesta Red like this.
  5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

You took the words right out of my mouth...I do this regularly.

Obsessed likes this.
  6. Obsessed

Well, of course, but I want to play some of those hard to reach high notes too.

7. Obsessed

Yup, that is just the kind of song I am looking for and the reasons why. Thanks.

8. Obsessed

Okay, I never tried that. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.