Looking for compensated saddles with modern spacing

RocknRollShakeUp

Tele-Meister
Do most compensated 3 barrel Tele saddles come with the vintage 2 1/8th (54mm) string width?

All my other guitars basically have the more narrow, modern 2 1/16th (52-52.5mm), or thereabouts, width, and I’d like a set of comp. Tele saddles that have the same modern narrow spacing.

Are there such options out there?

I could live with 2 1/8th if I have to, but just wondering!
Thanks !

Jay Jernigan

Tele-Afflicted
Yes, the strings would follow a line from the holes to the nut. It sounded to me like the hole spacing was 52mm. I may have misunderstood.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
You can file grooves in your saddles to cheat the strings in a little, but the A and B strings get moved closer to the height screws.
Some comp saddles have smaller height screws that are a little less close to where the strings sit, so you can move those worst case A&B in without them falling into the height screw hole or being up against the height screw if you leave them high.

gsh1968

Tele-Holic
Do most compensated 3 barrel Tele saddles come with the vintage 2 1/8th (54mm) string width?

All my other guitars basically have the more narrow, modern 2 1/16th (52-52.5mm), or thereabouts, width, and I’d like a set of comp. Tele saddles that have the same modern narrow spacing.

Are there such options out there?

I could live with 2 1/8th if I have to, but just wondering!
Thanks !
Which guitar/s are you looking for saddles for? I'm assuming you will need to modify a bridge plate for 3 compensated saddles?
Does Fender sell the saddles from the American Professional separately? If so, they are modern spaced/width.
However as said above you could use any non-grooved comp. saddles as the string will follow the path to the string holes.
Bear in mind that if doing this to a modern spaced string through bridge you will find the strings will have quite a severe break angle over the saddles due to the string though holes being further forward than in a vintage configuration. You may or may not like how this feels in practice.

RocknRollShakeUp

Tele-Meister
Yes, the strings would follow a line from the holes to the nut. It sounded to me like the hole spacing was 52mm. I may have misunderstood.

Which guitar/s are you looking for saddles for? I'm assuming you will need to modify a bridge plate for 3 compensated saddles?
Does Fender sell the saddles from the American Professional separately? If so, they are modern spaced/width.
However as said above you could use any non-grooved comp. saddles as the string will follow the path to the string holes.
Bear in mind that if doing this to a modern spaced string through bridge you will find the strings will have quite a severe break angle over the saddles due to the string though holes being further forward than in a vintage configuration. You may or may not like how this feels in practice.

My apologies, I didn't explain it properly. I was wondering about saddles that would fit into a standard Fender style baseplate, but be slotted more narrowly, for 2 1/16th string spacing.

Given the potential issue caused by the wider spacing of the string through holes compared to saddles that would give the more narrow spacing, I guess a new bridge plate that's a top loader, that already had the narrower string spacing, to go along with the narrow spacing saddles, would be what I'd really need!

Do you guys know if there are any top loader bridges out there with spacing and saddle for 2 1/16th spacing?

But I'm getting the hint that I best just stick with vintage spaced saddles :D ...at least for now...unless that top loader I'm now wondering about exists :D

RocknRollShakeUp

Tele-Meister
You can file grooves in your saddles to cheat the strings in a little, but the A and B strings get moved closer to the height screws.
Some comp saddles have smaller height screws that are a little less close to where the strings sit, so you can move those worst case A&B in without them falling into the height screw hole or being up against the height screw if you leave them high.

Good tips...but yeah, I think I need to just stick with the 2 1/8th vintage saddles...lest I create a total hack job o_O:cry::D

Danbgreen

TDPRI Member
Hey just reading up on such things and will add my attempt at something like this.
I have 2002 American Series, in trying to get a more vintage playing axe I went with. a HIPSHOT conversion 3 saddle bridge. The American Series had a slightly wider fretboard, but the nut slots and bridge saddles are the American Standard 2/16th spacing. The Hipshot Bridge is both string through and top load, and the original saddles were the standard compensated flattened barrel type. Without the notched the strings moved around and found there own “center” so I just tried the grooved comP saddles I had from Gotoh and it works well on the guitar. The neck has rolled edges and frets and still no falling off the fretboard. Lucked out I guess.

Attachments

• 9B3F4AA6-2E2B-475E-9BF4-A57653C10DB2.jpeg
    9B3F4AA6-2E2B-475E-9BF4-A57653C10DB2.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 12

Beebe

Tele-Holic

Here's a picture of this. These are Fender 005-8544-049 Vintage Telecaster Compensated Bridge Saddles... The kind with the intonation screw holes angled.

You can see how close the strings are to the height screws. Sounds great, but this bothers me a bit.

PXL_20220505_155351403.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Thinking about using a nos Fender American Standard Hardtail Strat bridge with it's narrower spacing,

for my next Tele body.