Looking for "clean tone" for less than 300 or 500 bucks

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Itsdylaniii, Oct 9, 2016.

Best amp for money?

1. Fender princeton chorus

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Fender princeton 112 +

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Fender bassbreaker 15 combo

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Line 6 spider iv 75w

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Orange 35RT

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  6. Blackstar HT-5

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  7. Blackstar 15 TVP

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  8. Roland cube 80 XL

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Itsdylaniii

Itsdylaniii TDPRI Member

I'm a bass player predominantly who's moving into the guitar world for recording purposes, and I recently purchased a used Ibanez Artcore afs75t semi hollow with a bigsby on it looking for that ES-335esque bluesy look and tone. I'm loving the guitar and I'm still looking for an amp to go with it, as it sounds pretty sad, muddy and horrible in my bass amp. I really want a clean tone with decent reverb for less than 300 bucks used, but I might be willing to wait until I free up some more income in a few months and put my budget at 500. (Is it worth it to save up for an entry tube)

Currently considering the following amps
    Used fender princeton chorus
    Used fender princeton 112+
    Used fender bassbreaker 15 combo
    Used Spyder V 75w modeling amp (I know everyone hates these, but I've got a friend that says they're not as bad as people say)
    Used blackstar 15 tvp
    Used blackstar HT-5
    Used orange 35RT

if anyone has any experience regarding the aforementioned amps, or has other suggestions for me to check out, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share your opinion. Thanks (first post on tdrpi)

2. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

Keep an eye out for Peavey classic 30s.i got one for 220 bucks on ebay, probably see them around 300 bucks locally. Good clean tone, decent reverb, fx loop. I also recently got a Peavey triumph 60 for less than 200 that has stellar cleans and reverb. Both are cheap, reliable and well worth the investment

cnlbb and Flaneur like this.
  3. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

I love my Fender Ultra Chorus and Fender Jazz King amps. Solid state. Great sound. In the price range. Not tube, but clean tone? Great.

Welcome.

4. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Roland 80gx using the JC clean setting. You can play clean quite as mouse or keep up with a Twin reverb.

blille and brookdalebill like this.
  5. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Egnater tweaker is another one to consider. Gets you into Marshall, Vox, and Fender territories. Great little amps. No built in effects, but still great for clean to medium gain.

6. Nasty

Nasty Tele-Meister

I'm actually thinking of parting with my Kustom Quad 100dfx stacked on top of an old Peavey TNT 130 bass amp as a pair for $500 plus shipping, Kustom's pristine with its stock Celestion G12p 80s and original manual and floor tags, and the Peavey is a professional referb with a EV15b speaker upgrade, If you cant get the sound your looking for with that your not trying hard enough, Although if looking for a crunch tone out of the Kustom your looking at the wrong amp, That sucks, but if clean and good reverb settings is what your looking for then I've met few gear heads it doesn't impress, May be a bit much for a recording setting but that's what volume knobs are for when it comes to SS amps. If you want the venue owner, sound guy or the rest of your band to ask you to turn your stuff down a bit. Yea, works pretty damn good for that, Although does take up the same space as a head and 4x12 cab unit, Which is why I'm considering finding a good home for them, I need to free up some space,
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/136615170@N07/25576215953/

7. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

This is a great suggestion and Sweetwater is blowing these out right now for $220 after mail-in rebate. I'd act fast. I suspect supplies are dwindling at that price.

bparnell57 likes this.
  8. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

Cross Blackstar off your list for clean tone. I have one and it's a lot more over on the Marshall side of the scale than Fender. I don't think you can beat Fender for Clean. One of the amps on your list was a Fender Princeton Chorus. I've got one of those too...and they're so clean it's actually tough to get an overdriven tone on it. That's a good amp for your price range.

Obsessed likes this.
  9. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Peavey bandit, peavey studio pro, or Roland Cube. I had a red stripe bandit and a silver stripe studio pro and they had great clean tones. You should be able to get one for well under $200. Good luck.

10. Itsdylaniii

Itsdylaniii TDPRI Member

Thanks, looks like I'm definitely leaning towards that one, itd number one on my list but may I ask whether you used the red knobbed or black face styling years

11. Itsdylaniii

Itsdylaniii TDPRI Member

I'm more looking for one used, but that does look like a pretty good deal! And for a real nice amp

12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

This! You want cleans but you've listed some low power tube amps. Find a used Bandit for cleans. Country guys loved those amps. They are great for jazz and big warm cleans.

SolidSteak likes this.
  13. Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk Tele-Afflicted

You don't have either of the amps I'd look at - Mustang III and Roland JC40.

P

14. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

After swapping out the 12ax7 for a 12at7, I'm deliriously happy with the rich loud cleans that my semi-hollow gets on my Blackheart Little Giant combo. I've seen them show up between $200-300 or even less if you're lucky.

15. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

I can second the vote for Peavey. Every one I've owned has great clean tones, built like a tank, and the reverb is nice and full. The distortion channel always reminded me of a plastic box full of wasps, but that's not relevant to your needs. AND they're still dirt cheap last time I looked.

cnlbb likes this.
  16. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

I have a 1996 classic 30 that sounds fantastic. Look around for used ones and get new tubes.

sparky1354, opend and cnlbb like this.
  17. Itsdylaniii

Itsdylaniii TDPRI Member

Is having a plastic box full of wasps what you're looking for out of the distortion channel? And which peavey are you refering to

18. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Aw heck no, that's why I don't own a Peavey now.

I have owned a Backstage and a Bandit 65 and for a few weeks played a borrowed Twin that I can't find on the internet (it was solid state, but everything on the internet says their twins were tube, so maybe it was a 112, dunno...). That "Supersat" distortion just about drove me nuts, but when I owned these amps, they were 'hand-me-down' (very cheap or free) and I didn't have anything else.

The best distortion sound I ever had from any of those Peaveys was when a friend of mine let me use his plastic distortion pedal (Arion, I believe) through the clean channel of the twin. Hey, it was the '80s, need I say more?

19. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Quilter 101.

cnlbb likes this.
  20. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Used Peavey Bandit! Plus you'll save some money.

I personally like the Quilters too, but if you need to buy a speaker cabinet too that starts pushing over $500. They sound better than a Peavey though IMO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.