1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking for an amp that I can record with that sounds great at low volumes.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RavageTheEarth, Sep 14, 2020.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I would have to throw in my Supro supreme (new)
    to the mix. Based on an old oahu.

Great at low vol

2. Hastings

Hastings Tele-Meister

Does that not need a speaker emulation to give the critter a satisfactory sound?
    Thanks

3. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

As I understand it, the inbuilt DI includes H&K's Red Box speaker simulation. That said, I'm not sure how that sounds.

4. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Pro Jr IV Tweed and 1x12 cab, using a Fairfield Barbershop V2, to boost the tubes into saturation at low volume.

5. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

IMO, at low volumes, any sonic benefits of guitar amp-specific speakers are lost, so any sort of traditional type of guitar amp really isn't necessary. For that reason, if you need something just barely amplified to be audible, I'd go with something that has a power amp with a flat response. The preamp then can basically be 'player's choice', depending on if you're comfortable with pedals/DSP/analog/tube/etc. And yes, some kind of IR/cab sim thing will probably be the way to go to properly mimic what cabs/speakers do at normal (loud) volumes.

Also IMO, this is really just going to be subjective, and require experimentation, and the vast majority of recommendations will possibly not be very helpful.

6. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Completely out in left field, I would build an amp with 6AK6's (1W @10% dist.) and drive a 6" field coil speaker (or is it 5", I am too lazy to go check) with a variable voltage supply on the speaker to turn it down. But since I have no one to keep quiet for it will have to wait. ;)

7. telemystix

telemystix Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Gries 5 -

12'' speaker

master volume, blackface tone when mid/gain knobs are less than 6 - and tweed tones when knobs are cranked -

quietest true tube amp i own

899 brand new - or a used one for much less -
    (not selling mine)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.