1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking for an amp that I can record with that sounds great at low volumes.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RavageTheEarth, Sep 14, 2020.

1. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

Just curious if you have enough choices yet.:eek::)

And I use a Vox AC4 or my Peavey Valveking II Micro with good results. Both take pedals well. With some tweaking my Boss GT-1 is not bad.

2. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

my mini tracking rig for today's recording session. Chasing Down SGJ F100 (2).jpg

FortyEight likes this.
  3. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Exactly! 85 db is pretty loud, every new guitar speaker I've looked at specs for is over 90db at one one meter, most are over 97 or so. (never looked at any 8" ones)
    Now actual db with a guitar vs with the test signal amp companies use is going to be different. But one can see it doesn't take much power to make a whole lot of noise.
    I've always said if players knew how many watts they're actually sending the speakers they'd be pretty surprised.
    I still like big amps and know I'm not using anywhere near the wattage they're capable of putting to the speakers.
    If I did, I'd blow a bunch of speakers! The ones in my Twin Reverbs sure wouldn't last long. Lol

4. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

I love my Champ 600, but there's no master volume. With an amp simulator of some sort in front and an 8" speaker upgrade (and new cloth) it's fine and sparkling in an apartment setting. But, you'd need some sort of amp-simulation pedal and/or you'd need to mod it with a master volume control.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

I agree, I really like my(bivalve) the most with buckers too.

6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I stick a JHS Prestige and a Klon clone (Nux Horseman) in front of it and that covers all my bases. I've also used a Tone City Comp Engine followed by a TC Electronic Spark (full size) quite successfully, but I like the sound of the Klon type better and the JHS gives a bit of natural compression even though it's a boost...it's just the right amount of compression for ME. I've learned to do a lot with a little. :D

NoTeleBob likes this.
  7. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

I can sympathize - I have a great-sounding Tremolux, but can't really record with it as it's too loud in the house. I can do my Princetons at very low volume, but I ended up buying an Avid Eleven Rack for late night practicing and more overdriven (Marshall-like) tones without the family getting angry. direct to recording inputs, and sounds good and patches are easy to edit. They're cheap used - got mine for $280.

Or look at a Torpedo Captor X that outputs a recording level signal to whatever you're using for recording but the amp stays silent.

8. Javier668

Javier668 Tele-Meister

You know man !
    Some people say you can tame a twin or bassman with an attenuator.....they lost their ears long time ago.
    You can use the max setting but sound like garbage.t
    That attenuator is a soak circuit suck tone.
    Same sound at low volume impossible.
    A minimass or thd is a lot more clean and reactive.

9. Den6string

Den6string TDPRI Member

I have a home studio, fairly good gear and quite a few amps to chose from, this may sound off to many but, I like to use a Roland Micro Cube, tiny amp with big sounds, super clean if need be and no loss of low end. I just put a mic in front and that's it. Simple easy set up. It has a selection of setting right into heavy rock built in as well.

10. goodcheaptele

goodcheaptele Tele-Meister

Fender Champion 20

11. Aristeas

Aristeas TDPRI Member

I'm using a Blackstar 5HT - 5 watts of tube tone. I record with it on standby, into my PC which is hooked up to an old stereo for sound out. So I can record at 3.00AM with no sound from the amp and the PC volume almost unheard by anyone in the house.

But turn the standby to 'on' and it pumps out massive sound, with all the dirt, reverb and chorus from my pedal board, which my neighbours can cope with late in the afternoon when most commuters are on their way home and the soccer moms are picking up the kids, working really well so far.

IMG_1201.JPG pedalboard.jpg

12. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

I use a Tech 21 Trademark 10. It has produced excellent results. Miked or direct. They are out of production, but I have seen some on Reverb.com.

lupowitz and Tim S like this.
  13. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

If a pro jr is too loud, you'll probably have to go digital.

I use a princeton with an attenuator, and it's home friendly, but perhaps not with 10 roommates. I used a yamaha thr10 prior to that when i had an apartment, and it's pretty good for that application.

14. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

AC10. Sounds great at any volume.

15. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

What do you need an amp for if you’re using the Line 6? Just go direct.

16. RavageTheEarth

RavageTheEarth Tele-Meister

That is exactly what I've decided to do. Thanks!

I actually wasn't a big fan of the Line 6 Pod so I'm plugged into my Focusrite audio interface and using amplitude for. Holy crap does it sound good.

Mjark likes this.
  17. ladewd

ladewd TDPRI Member

I have plenty of loud tube amps. I bought two amps for practicing at home. I have a 5w Bugera G5 w/ a 12” speaker cab. 2 years later, I bought a Boss Kantana 100. I didn’t need the power but wanted all the I/O the K100 had. I’ve been pretty much been only playing the Kantana these days. It makes me want to play & tweak which sounds like something you’re looking for. Both amps are fun to play although the Boss has much better reverb & effects & can get a decent clean sound at any volume. It also takes pedals very well.

18. fredwrites

fredwrites TDPRI Member

Su
    Given your budget, suggest you just stick with the Pod direct (stereo). My Mesa Lonestar Special records remarkably well at reasonable volumes, but pretty much out of your price range.

19. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I agree! I have a 10C, and the sound quality of direct recording thru USB is astounding, to say the least. I've never gotten better and easier to do sound quality with any amp or recording method. The Cubase AI software, however, did take me quite a few days and internet searches and tutorials to figure out its features and functions.

20. Chandlerman

Chandlerman Tele-Meister

This little '49 Valco is perfect for home use. Turned up all the way it sounds fantastic and won't bother the neighbors. I took a chance and bought it in non-working condition for $75. I replaced the grill cloth, the handle, and the badge. I paid a local tech about $150 to replace the caps and put in a three-prong cord. It still has the original RCA tubes and Rola speaker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.