1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking for an amp that I can record with that sounds great at low volumes.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RavageTheEarth, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was just going to suggest this after seeing this thread pop up in the newsletter. These small modeling amps (Spark or similar) are really versatile for the scenario posed. Great tones from the virtual modeling of both amps and effects and output to integrated speakers, headphones or the USB direct to a computer. I'm not even a player and I bought a Spark so I could play with the guitars I'm building for fun. Yes, I have an amp (an old Sundown that is excellent) but I have no desire to invest in a lot of other gear. For under $300, these modeling amps bring a "stadium" setup to your coffee table.

2. wolfman2020

wolfman2020 TDPRI Member

1D55471C-245C-4BE6-8C8B-E2A3BC1E3741.jpeg 87350561-082D-4241-A3B5-6001C1BD5411.jpeg
    I have a couple of tube amps that sound good at low volumes one is a VOX TV4ac because you have a choice of adjusting the output down to 1/4 watt which Lets me push the tubes without much volume but the best one I’ve found for recording is a
    Soloist by Tom Scholz it sound incredible. The effects in it are as good as it gets, you have the option to use the headphones and the output to your amp, Board or to a digital studio

RichCuellarPDX likes this.
  3. Bloody Meridian

Bloody Meridian TDPRI Member

Listen to this man!!

Even 5w is loud (less so when clean). If you look at the speaker, you’ll see that at 1w many will do between 87 and 98 dBs. That’s pretty loud.

the Minimass is my gear MVP. I had mine built with a line out so that I can run it into a cab sim (it will sound like garbage without some filtering). Best of both worlds!

ThermionicScott and Javier668 like this.
  4. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I agree.
    Still it won't SOUND good in a RECORDING if it's bellow that.

My main "beef" is that for some crazy reason people measure sound levels with Watts and not DBs.

Javier668, Tim S and Fiesta Red like this.
  5. bluesmain

bluesmain TDPRI Member

princeton recording

Javier668 likes this.
  6. atchdav

atchdav TDPRI Member

Check out the Pignose 7-100. You can pick one up for less than $100 and they are fantastic recording amps. The Eric Clapton song Motherless Children was recorded using only a Pignose as was Joe Walsh's Rocky Mountain Way.

If you do go for a Pignose, get one with a red, white and blue label (made in USA) instead of the newer white label models (made in China).

Here's a bit of info on Clapton's amp, which was sold at auction: https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19226/lot/2/

7. Moudi1

Moudi1 TDPRI Member

Go to GC and try a Fender Mustang. It has a Master Volume on it. Turn the amp volume up and the master down. The Mustang 4 is a beast and the tones are recordable for sure. Way under your price range. Fender has other amp modelers also. You would have to go solid state. Though I think they have one that is hybrid with an attenuator, maybe its called the Tonemaster? more money though. Good luck

8. doblander

doblander TDPRI Member

I recently bo't a Boss Katana MK2 50 watt. It has 3 wattage levels. At the lowest setting, you can make that amp whisper without sacrificing tone!! Or you can gig in a bar at the high setting and the 12 inch spkr will have patrons looking for their ear plugs. Very reasonably priced.

9. Frankentar

Frankentar TDPRI Member

I have an older Epiphone Valve Jr. combo amp, which I’ve never liked very much. But with a Strymon blueSky pedal for depth, and played through a homemade cabinet with a 12-inch Cannabis Rex, it sounds great at low volume.

10. jayhaknavy02

jayhaknavy02 TDPRI Member

I had a Yamaha THR-10 II and a Katana 50 Mk II. Sold the Yamaha. The Katana has an output so you can record to your computer but no headphone jack, which the Yamaha did. Regardless I like the Katana and low, and high volume more than the Yamaha. The Katana 100 has some very nice features the 50 doesn’t (including headphones) but gets louder for home use and costs more. I would try them all out at your local music store.

I can practice while my 3 kids do homework in the next room.

11. Outatune13

Outatune13 TDPRI Member

I bought an attenuator for $50. You set the amp as loud as you want, then turn the attenuator down to as low a volume as you need. It keeps the same sound on the amp, just at a lower volume. Search carls custom guitars

12. Russ Tech

Russ Tech NEW MEMBER!

getting an isolation cabinet will allow you to run your favorite amp and keep the outside volume minimal, while recording the amp you like best. Iso cabs are an easy fix.

13. Jerfalcon

Jerfalcon NEW MEMBER!

Without a doubt......if you can find one as I think Nace is out of business.....The output to your interface keeps the character/tone of what it sounds like. I've been impressed. And the V-power (variable output down to 1 watt can keep it on the more subtle side for loudness....YMMV, etc.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  14. backpackeraz

backpackeraz TDPRI Member

I build small, low power tube amps (between 1 and 3 watts) with classic circuits (champ, bassman, jimmy page's Suopro)

Feel free to message me if you would like more information on them, especially if you think you'd like to buy one :) My amp design philosophy is to use high quality parts, build durable amps that could be taken on the road and not go too overboard on the pursuit of boutique to keep the price tag reasonable.

I'm currently jamming on a 1W, pentode based 5F1 circuit that sounds really darn good to me.

15. 19sixty3

19sixty3 TDPRI Member

I recommend a Laney Lionheart LT5–Studio. It will tick all your boxes!

8E0811CE-41FB-4E2D-87B5-1F8E397F5D09.jpeg

16. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

This is the common-sense solution to your problem. I have the Mustang LT50 and it is sufficiently programmable that you can get your ideal tone after much tweaking. And because it uses digital samples, you can get the response of a cranked amp at whatever volume you want (which is a very weird sensation at first, but I'm getting used to it.)

17. Auherre756

Auherre756 TDPRI Member

The THD Univalve also has a 7W input. With its attenuator cranked, you can get decent tone at as low as 1W. Take note: THD's are really bright amps that I find work best with humbuckers...IMHO.

Cali Dude likes this.
  18. suttondrive

suttondrive TDPRI Member

Given your situation, a Fender Champion 20 ($130 brand new)with a decent pair of headphones is going to get you very close to where you want to be.

19. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Fender.

20. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

A tweed Champ or clone of one will be perfect. Thank me later.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.