1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking for an amp that I can record with that sounds great at low volumes.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RavageTheEarth, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Frank Entele

Frank Entele TDPRI Member

Headphones.

ladewd likes this.
  2. goodguy

goodguy TDPRI Member

Assuming you have access to a computer... get a Focusrite interface. GarageBand or Bias FX, some powered studio monitors (or headphones). You will be surprised at how easy it is to get amazing tones and record them. Or you could even look at something like a used Headrush board.

keng likes this.
  3. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Best personal experience has been with a Vox AC 4 TV mini. Microphones love small spkrs, closed back makes all the bottom you need for this application, sounds good clean at full power, dirty at half power.
    Two minor issues: low grade class A hum at all output levels. Easily hidden.
    It's a little bit delicate; I broke mine.
    Fender Vibro Champ XD: great line out. Mics good, but the line out is quieter.

4. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

The Vox AC15CH has classic Vox tones, has 15 watts for gigging and jamming with a band, as well as a built-in attenuator that takes it down to 1/6 watts. Sadly the combo doesn't have this feature.

My home office/studio shares a wall with my son's room, and I've been just fine playing the Vox cranked up using the 1/6 watt setting without waking him up or disturbing anyone else in the house.

Bugera also makes a 2 channel 5 watt head (G5) with a headphone out that has a selectable 1x12/4x12 emulation. It also has an attenuator built in that goes down to 1/10th of a watt.

M2roadwarrior and Cali Dude like this.
  5. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

That definitely changes things. :)
    I've just used Vibro Champs plugged straight in, no attenuators.
    I've told the story about finding a VC in a junkyard many times. My other amps then (the 90s) were a DR504 Hiwatt and a Twin Reverb. I thought SWEET real tube amp distortion without ticking off my wife!
    That was BY FAR my most expensive divorce. :)

M2roadwarrior and Cali Dude like this.
  6. jimi00

jimi00 TDPRI Member

It’s not quite clear how quiet you would want the amp to be. In any case, at low volume, picking up the signal with a mic will pollute the take with ambient noise. So you will most likely have to plug your source to the console or computer. I find the most practical solution with the best tones comes from the Tech21 SansAmp Classic. It’s a darn good amp emulator which doubles as a DI box.

old soul and Tim S like this.
  7. Chas3rd

Chas3rd TDPRI Member

Orange Dark Terror! ..you can smell the terror...

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  8. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

Oh, so funny! Lol.

BobbyZ likes this.
  9. Neel

Neel TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

LOL... If I lived with 10 people I'd sell everything and move.

10. ayjaydee

ayjaydee TDPRI Member

Lot's of great suggestions here and, from personal experience, I would certainly second the THR10C and Katana 50, however no-one has mentioned a good pair of headphones with either a Line6 HX Stomp or a Strymon Iridium. https://www.strymon.net/products/iridium/

11. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Not to get too nerdy, but 85db is pretty dang loud on a human level...not on a band/music level, but in a household.

I work as a safety coordinator for a construction company. If our employees are in an environment that is measured at 85db for 8 hours, OSHA requires us to provide hearing protection; we go a step further—if they’re working around 85db or more for any length of time, they’re required to wear ear plugs...
    To demonstrate 85db:
    An unscientific method would be if the average person has to raise their voice to be heard, that’s around 85db.
    A more scientific method: download a free app called Decibel X (I’m not associated in any way, except as a satisfied customer)...Then throughout the day, measure your home, workplace, etc...you’ll be shocked at how loud the average the environment is.

Back to a recording amp:
    85db is by no means “quiet” if there are other people in a household—and pretty dang hard to limit an electrical musical instrument in that manner.

BobbyZ likes this.
  12. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

[​IMG]
    1 watt to 18 watts. 18 watts is REALLY loud. Line out for recording.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  13. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe TDPRI Member

Move into more rural accommodation.....

dragonfly66 likes this.
  14. Frank-n-Furter

Frank-n-Furter TDPRI Member

Hmm.... Positive Grid "Spark" might be the thing - comes as tiny combo (2x4"), 40w stereo with built-in USB recording interface. Digital modelling amp, 40 watts, even models the cranking of the amps' power amp stages. Has effects. Bought it cheap as a supporter, must say it is fantastic in a surreal way... way beyond expectations and other digital amps I had or played before. The Two Rock amp model still makes me drool... :)
    https://www.positivegrid.com/spark/

15. fofomomo

fofomomo TDPRI Member

I came to say this. I had an AC4TV for a while and it sounded amazing and has built-in attentuation from 4w to 1w to 0.25w

Mine started smelling like burning after a few weeks so I returned it and never got another, but that was a few years ago. A month ago I got an AC4, whatever the blue model is, and it sounds great but I miss the attenuation - I could have actually bought the TV model at the same time but it just LOOKS so ugly to me.

16. themarkjlee

themarkjlee TDPRI Member

Quilter amplifiers are great at low volume and (In my experience) keep a consistent tone regardless of what volume you play at. You can also record direct from them without having to connect a cab, which is a real asset if you need to be really quiet.

Also worthy of a mention is the Joyo American Sound pedal which is astonishing for something so cheap and cheerful. Basically a knockoff of the Tech21 Blonde, sounds like an older Fender tube amp, worth considering as a direct in recording preamp.

old soul likes this.
  17. Linkslover

Linkslover Tele-Meister

The best cleans you're ever going to get at low volume will be from a 65 Princeton reissue. You might findiy one used in you're price range, but they're hard to find. New would be about a grand.

18. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Friend of Leo's

First thing that comes to mind is the
    Universal Audio OX Reactive Amp Attenuator with Speaker Modeling. Its pricey but would solve your problem and get some cool things in return. The Two Notes Torpedo Captor X is a similar solution.

The second thing that comes to mind is using a modeler (Kemper, Axe FX, Atomic Amplifire) The Kemper could profile your exact amp and you could probably get convincing sounds out of the other two. Again pricey, but solves your problem, plus gives some nice perks, i.e. could have access to a bunch of other amps, cabinet and effects.

To save money buy used.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  19. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I don’t know about the OP’s current residence, but in the past, I lived in an apartment building where *any* apparent amp sounds were an invitation to a break-in. (I’m so glad those days are in the past)

20. Buell

Buell Tele-Meister

I'm intriqued by this. The price is right and I love the USB out in the back. Can you tell me a little more about it?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.