Looking for an amp that I can record with that sounds great at low volumes.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RavageTheEarth, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate TDPRI Member

The Nextone amps are very good for what you described.....That is exactly how I use mine

2. Javier668

Javier668 Tele-Meister

Nah
    I have a bassman 59 and thd hotplate and the weber minimass and still is loud.
    Added a master and works better with them now.
    My champs and voxes sound sweet in the minimass.

Bloody Meridian and Cali Dude like this.
  3. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Meister

Yeah, that's been my experience as well.

4. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Holic

My understanding, which admittedly may be wonky, is that the engineers play a tone through a particular cabinet. They record it and remove the tone digitally, which leaves a representation of the sound coloration of the cabinet itself. Then this is used to create an EQ curve that is applied as a cabinet simulation. This process, supposedly (and again, to my understanding) gives a simulation that colors the sound in much the same way as the actual cabinet would.

5. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Tweed princeton. IMG_20200315_071903641.jpg

Balinus, keng and Cali Dude like this.
  6. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Love my WF-55 champ clone for home but generally I’m playing it turned right down with pedals. To get gritty amp tones it’s just too loud. It has a 1\4w setting that also elicits complaints from the ladies of the house.

Best amp tones at low (no complaints) volume for me is actually my THR5 it acts as a nice link to the computer for recording as well. Sadly though amp that has been appropriated by no. 1 daughter for her guitar...

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  7. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

In a house with 10 people one question comes to mind. Will they be ok with hearing you play at all? If not I'm thinking you'll want to skip tube amps altogether, and I'm a tube amp fanatic!
    Even a Champ is going to be loud enough to get you in trouble, long before you get any dirt out of it, if that's you're goal.
    If want to use tubes you'll spend a good bit or all if your money on things to knock the volume down far enough. Unless you're really ok with master volumes and the tone you'd get choked down to really low volume.
    I bought one of those 9 volt battery powered 1 watt Marshall things when they came out for hotel rooms. The speaker in it was maybe a 3 incher, that thing would easily get you kicked out of a hotel.
    They make a lot I'd digital type stuff these days that'll probably do the trick, if you like the way it sounds. You'll probably wind up using headphones too.

keng and Tim S like this.
  8. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

If you truly mean low volume, as in not-annoy-anyone-ever low volume, the Yamaha THR is perfect. Or something similar like the Katana Mini. Anything else is potentially too big unless it has a power attenuator.

The Yamaha is great close mic'd and has a stack of great onboard sounds, fx, and tubey responsiveness.

Slightly off topic, I think my biggest gear bugbear is people who say they are looking for a "small bedroom amp" and then list their options, all of which have 12" speakers . . .

Tim S, BobbyZ and Javier668 like this.
  9. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister

Your missing my point. The attenuator is not to make it quiet. Its to make it silent and feed the line level signal to the DAW where an IR can be used.

10. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

If you have the space an isolation box with a 8" in it and a mic.

11. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Princeton Reverb re issues good enough

12. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Even a 5 watt amp can be too loud. Sounds like you need some kind of modeling amp.

13. KATT

KATT TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

It seems you're sorted on the recording aspect if you're running a Pod. That has amp sims built into it. Just plug it straight into your recording device so no amp required! Presumably you have or will have some type of studio monitors for recording, so they can also be used as your low volume home use amp. Many may argue that it won't as good as a cranked miced amp, but you're not going to be able to to do that anyway it seems.

I used a Pod XT for years for recording and I thought it sounded great in a mix.

So if that solves your low volume requirement, you can spend your money on an amp that does the loud stuff for the occasions that require it.

Tim S likes this.
  14. Bobbyoso

Bobbyoso TDPRI Member

I spend 50% of my low-volume time on a Suhr Corso with a small but high-quality pedalboard thru a very broken-in, 20 year old Mesa 1-12" cab. The other 50% of the time it's thru a v1 Katana 50, also very well broken in.

Both sound, and feel, tremendous at lower volumes. And the interesting thing is, both myself and several engineers and producers have not been able to guess which was which in blindfold playback tests.

I've had the Katana for 3 years, played in large horn bands with it, nylon-string jazz to and all sorts of other idioms and situations, and it is truly a great amp, regardless of price. It does require that you have the ears and knowledge to critique and adjust all elements of your desired tone and feel; a lack of this ability (user error) is usually the Achilles heel of any versatile digital solution. But if you're good at that, the sounds are first-rate, both clean and driven. I don't play metal or downtuned styles, so if you do, ymmv, but it's damned competent at almost everything else.

And it's so much more convenient than a head, cab, and pedalboard, if you know how to home in on your tone and associated effect settings, as appropriate. IMO, of course.

Rhyming Orange and aging_rocker like this.
  15. marcos

marcos TDPRI Member

I would recommend an older Champ for home and studio. I have a 77 Champ and can crank it up and get nothing but a sweet tone out of it. If the 8 in speaker is not your thing, you can add a small cab with a 12 incher. They can be bought for about 500-700 range, in Canada anyway. Best of luck

16. Sabotron

Sabotron TDPRI Member

I just got one of those 50th Anniversary 1 watt Marshall’s. It does exactly what you’re asking. I have the JVM one, but they’re all great.

17. telecastasaurus

telecastasaurus TDPRI Member

You might want to look for an attenuator. I have a Rivera Rock Crusher and I can play at room temperature. An extra added bonus was I was able for find the sweet spots on all of my amps. The only downside is you won't get the cone dynamics.

Cali Dude likes this.
  18. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

You guys recommending Champs ever play one in house full of people that don't want to hear you playing? I'm going with no on this one.
    I have and I can tell you the volume knob won't get very far to the right before everyone in the house can hear you. And it'll sound like playing through strings and soup cans at volumes they can't hear you playing.
    Maybe you guys have sound proof music rooms?

Balinus, stevemc and KATT like this.
  19. loopfinding

loopfinding TDPRI Member

Yeah. Cranked Champ in a house? Cool! Definitely won't bother the neighbors. Cranked amp in an apartment building or shared housing? No way. You can probably get away with turning it up to the point that your clean tone is nice and full in the daytime. I think the people on here who don't live in the city get a bit spoiled with the volume, hahah.

20. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Meister

First off, My champ can go from 5 to 2 watts ( it's a Clapton vibro champ model). Second, I do use attenuators as well. It's pretty simple, use an attenuator, an OD pedal, and turn up as much as you care to. I use a Tone King Ironman 2 mini attenuator. But you are right, 5 watts can get loud in an apartment.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.