Looking for an amp that I can record with that sounds great at low volumes.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RavageTheEarth, Sep 14, 2020.

1. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Yamaha THR series .

2. RavageTheEarth

RavageTheEarth TDPRI Member

What is an IR? Also, I'm not really one to go to the studio. I enjoy recording my own stuff and the learning that comes with it. I'm definitely at a hobbyist level, but I have a deep love for the search of tone. I enjoy the troubleshooting and the joy that comes with finally getting things right.

3. M2roadwarrior

M2roadwarrior Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Many great tube amps come with either a master volume or a switch that bring you from 5w to .5w for example, choose your flavor, I have a blues jr, ac10 and an origin 5, any of which produce great tone at low volume! I use a rode mic pointed at the speaker and a seinheiser hanging over the combo to record and any of these amps I use sound fantastic in recordings at reasonable volumes!

Bloody Meridian and Cali Dude like this.
  4. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

I am a life-long user of tube amps, but I recently acquired a Fender Mustang LT50 modeling amp and I am impressed. Here's a recording I actually made in my apartment, at a volume too low to annoy my neighbors:

I bought the 50 watt version for taking to rehearsals and jam sessions. They also make a 25 watt version.

5. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I’ve been using Scuffham S-Gear for VST for like seven years now. Really good tones, best I’ve heard for a software amp sim. For $129 or whatever it is now, you really can’t go wrong. Really user friendly too, makes my workflow super quick for getting ideas down.

That said, I‘ve always been obsessed with tube amps. For low volume cleans, an old Champ is hard to beat. But I still feel like you need at least loud conversation volume to get any sort of feel out of pretty much any amp.

That’s how I feel at least. If you’re recording whisper quiet, you might as well take potential background noise out of the equation and just record VST or with IR at that point.

6. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

My 2p ... back in April got a Rocker 15, mainly for at home and can play using the 1w setting low gain - high volume ... no problem.
    Now I'm not a 'heavy' player ... more 60s R'n'B than anything and do not like a lot of distortion! But ....

Recording ... mmmm... that's different, especially if, presumably, you're recording digitally?

via the venerable SM57 ... Without whacking the Volume and/or Gain up to basically intolerable levels within the house - any recording is, in turn, intolerably weak/pathetic sounding. (Other mics might work better, but if an SM57 doesn't do it ...?)

After quite a bit of trail and error over the last few months ... :mad: .... when needing to share tracks with others .... I now use my trusty old Zoom G3X, via a mixer (not essential, but it helps me to er 'mix' stuff), into my computer and then Waveform.
    Gives me choice of amps/cabinets (albeit simulations), plus I can play into the G3X thro' my pedal-board or use the on-board fx and/or software fx.

Ideal - No, but imo it does overall give a better recorded 'tone' than a wishy-washy low Gain sound.

Don't forget too - plenty of great guitar parts have been recorded directly 'from the board'!

7. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister

Don't get locked into the the DI a maker uses. Get a load box and select the IR you like best

xtelesquirex likes this.
  8. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've never cranked up a champ or champish little combo through an 8 without everybody else in the structure I'm inhabiting being very aware of it. other than for a while I put an amp, which wasn't a champ at the time but was a little solid state pos practice amp of some sort, in a large styrofoam cooler and sealed it up in there. That kind of worked ok as I recall, but I don't think I really cranked it up too loud either.

BobbyZ and Cali Dude like this.
  9. Audiowonderland

IR = Impulse Response

10. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Looking for an amp that I can record with that sounds great at low volumes.

I build them especially for that purpose.

Here's one. Acoustic duo. Small venue. No direct microphones.

The Groove Nashville 2..JPG

11. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Meister

Yeah, cranking a 5 watt amp in an apartment can be problematic. That's is why a few good pedals will help, and/ or an attenuator.

PhredE, fenderchamp and M2roadwarrior like this.
  12. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Princeton Reverb. Sounds great at low volume, gets some good natural breakup when you turn it up, takes pedals very well, so you can get gain at low volume. Perfect for home use.

Chandlerman likes this.
  13. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Roland Blues Cube Stage - Can go from 1/2 to 60 Watts. Sounds great at the low output. Clear yet warm if you dial in.

Leonardocoate, PhredE and Cali Dude like this.
  14. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

I know it can be touchy, but the Tonemaster amps freaking rule for this kind of thing.

Twang Deluxe, Jead, Tim S and 2 others like this.
  15. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Thinking a little outside the box, a Blackstar HT1 has an emulated line out for recording. Only 1 watt, so you're not going to rock the neighborhood. I use mine with a Boss EQ pedal which means I can recreate a lot of clean and driven amp tones. And it takes pedals well . They are priced a little stiff at $250, but I got mine used for only $80. Best $80 I spent in years.

Cali Dude likes this.
  16. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I second this! Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb! Goes from 22w to .22w

17. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

There are many, many amps that fit your description but here is another vote for the Princeton Reverb. I have the GC tweed with 12" Celestion and it ended my desire for other amps. They pop up used in your price range.

The volume on the Pro Junior I had went from zero to 60.

18. Javier668

Javier668 Tele-Meister

You need a champ with a good attenuator or a vox ac4 10”

Cali Dude likes this.
  19. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

I picked up a like new roland blues cube hot awhile back, and I really dig it. It will do everything you mentioned wanting.... I dont play with a lot of gain though.

20. Audiowonderland

If you have a good attenuator, you don't need little amps. You can use what you want

Cali Dude likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.