Looking for an almost clean boost with no compression

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by don, Sep 8, 2019.

1. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

What about all tfe Klon clones? EHX Soul Food? Nice clean, not overly colored.

2. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

Then how about an EQ pedal?

3. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

Timmy. Wampler Euphoria. EQD Westwood. Xotic RC Booster. ...or something else that can start from zero dirt with a bit of volume boost up to low/medium dirt with bass and treble knobs.

Clipping (dirt) inevitably means some form of compression. No matter how little.

Timmy and Euphoria can be set to sound the same as the bypassed tone, then add or subtract volume/dirt/two band EQ. Try it.

Lpb-1 adds non tweakable compression and some dirt (with Tele volume at 10) IMHO. A bit of bass boost as well.

don likes this.
  4. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

A good clean boost will do the trick.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

1. You are waaaay overthinking this.

2. No one else really knows what you want.

3. Because it's new, consider the Teisco Boost. Amazing pedal and value. Because it is new, not that many people seem to know about it. I think it is (loosely?) Echoplex based. Switch to run it at 9v or 24v (internal charge pump). And then a setting for stock very slight EP3 bass roll off (avoids mud, especially with Fenders), treble boost, or very slight bass bump. Quiet. Loads of headroom. Brings that Exhoplex preamp swirl and magic. Oh, and it looks killer.

[​IMG]

don and RetroTeleRod like this.
  6. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

The Fairfield Barbershop V2, is a very transparent boost.

It can be used a preamp, 1st in line pedal, to boost your overdrives or end of overdrive boost. Preamp will pop out the modulation, in a good way.

There is "Sag" knob to add sag or gain.
    Volume and tone controls are very flexible. I normally, set all 3 controls to 1:00 o'clock.

YMMV

7. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

mxr cae boost line driver super clean

8. Diagoras

Diagoras Tele-Holic

MXR Booster Mini

No need to have a full-size pedal for a "one-trick pony" effect when a mini does the trick just as well. The internal trim pot allows you to add the Echoplex preamp sound into the boost for more warmth/character, or turn the trim pot all the way down for a pure clean boost. It never leaves my travel board.

Some of us don't like to use the guitar volume knob for this purpose, and instead prefer keeping it all the way up. I play mostly clean, and earlier today I noticed that my Tele sounded weak and sterile, without the dynamics and liveliness it usually has. Then I realized that I accidentally bumped the volume knob, and it was turned down a little. Made all the difference in the world. ;)

don likes this.
  9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I'm heavily leaning toward the Barber Gain Changer then. I was just playing mine today with my tele. It can be very transparent or you can adjust more character into it without getting too much gain. One of my favorite pedals. If I'm at a gig and my other OD is too nasty, I put the GC on and adjust and it's superb.

RetroTeleRod and don like this.
  10. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Endless great choices out there these days. Hard to go wrong. Love my BBE Boosta Grande.

zippofan likes this.
  11. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Find a used Rocktron Austin Gold. With the Drive at Zero there is virtually no added distortion in the signal but a ton of boost. With Drive at 10 it's like a lot of low-gain ODs at 3 or 4. Supposedly based on a Klon but I've never used a Klon so can't comment on that.

[​IMG]

don likes this.
  12. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

For clean boosts I use Wampler Tumnus, Durham Sex Drive, Analogman modded GE-7 and Crowther Hot Cake.

brookdalebill likes this.
  13. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster.

zippofan, sonicsmitty and Mincer like this.
  14. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

Exactly this. Dead clean, even EQ boost.

sonicsmitty and drlucky like this.
  15. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

I have a Sparkle Drive and really like it. I believe it's worth a try for what you seem to be looking for. The ability to blend the clean signal back in to the over driven signal gives the ability to really shape the tone. It also works as a Clean Boost without any overdrive or with minimal overdrive. VERY flexible pedal. You can pick'em up used on reverb for 60-90.00 or buy it brand new. They also make a "modded" version that includes some presets similar to the mods that folks like Keeley were doing on the original Sparkle Drive.
    Good luck.;)

don and sonicsmitty like this.
  16. Mikecito

Mikecito TDPRI Member

You can try what I do with my Mesa. Find your cleansh boosted lead tone with the straight to amp then use the eq ( pedal in your case) to cut mids and some volume to dial in the clean tone. This assumes you get the lead tone you want without needing to boost the front end.

So use eq to cut not boost. Might be worth a try for what you want.

Greggorios likes this.
  17. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Lots of people are suggesting boosts that add a particular tone flavor, as distinct from the clean boost the OP says he wants. IMO, the choice is between one of those boosts that has a tonal impact you like -- the possibilities are endless; many good ones -- or staying really clean and not changing your tone, just boosting the signal. The LPB-1 and the MXR Micro Amp are indeed good, budget, battery-friendly suggestions that meet the request. Personally, I use a KTR and others use Klon-alikes because you can do great clean boost but dial in whatever degree of OD (generally, modest) you might like. The EHX Soul Food is widely liked for performance with a very low price tag.

don likes this.
  18. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Roger Mayer 4644 Drive. Tone control is more of an EQ vs simple tone control.

It shifts Upper/Lower Harmonics vs tone cut/add. Wont do mud, nor ice pick. Works with either Humbuckers, or Single Coils.

Pete Cornish 3Q1/Boost

BOSS GE7 with Silencer Mod. www.modestmikesmods.com

Metropoulos Supa Boost

19. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

These are pedals which I consider to be mostly "light and not too neutral":

Timmy, Red Llama, Wampler Euphoria, Xotic RC Booster. All can be acquired for "little" $$ (100$ or so lightly used). These can be set really neutral on the bass, if you want (I find the Red Llama doesn't cut bass).

Why not too neutral: because they will definitely turn your sound into something else if you adjust the controls in a specific way and/or set the gain high.

A Bluesbreaker (the Marshall original or most of its derivatives) and the Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD are two great light OD pedals, IMO, but they'll cut a bit more bass than you want maybe, however, they are super touch-sensitive.

The Sparkle Drive is a nice pedal, but more compressed sounding if you set the overdrive higher than those pedals above. The clean control allows a totally clean, neutral boost if you want, though.

20. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Under $100 are the Mooer Yellow comp, TC spark mini, MXR micro amp. The Mooer Yellow comp will fatten your tone and boost and with a small amount of compression to give you sustain.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.