Looking for an almost clean boost with no compression

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by don, Sep 8, 2019.

1. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

TC Spark Boost. :cool:

scelestus likes this.
  2. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

Why not just use a volume pedal or an eq pedal to get the boost. Cheers

3. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

EP Booster

Irondog likes this.
  4. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Im finding this a bit contradictory probably because I dont know what you mean by light and airy?

Since compression and distortion is a no but you want something that doesnt just do louder then that only leaves EQ to fiddle with.

So I change my answer to pretty much any graphic EQ, it can do just louder like a lpb-1 but you can also boost or cut the frequencies you want too. Treble boost, mid scoop, mid boost, bass/mid boost and anything else you might want.

gwjensen likes this.
  5. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

I agree with what was posted earlier. If you push the front end of the Princeton very much with a boost pedal, it will compress. They are 12 watt amps. Maybe try a better speaker in it to get a fuller sound.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  6. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

CopperSound Foxcatcher - < $150 used ($200 new) - its a bluesbreaker style and you dial in as little or as much drive as you like - still on the lighter side of things, has additional boost that can be pre/post drive section, and very nice EQ shaping through a tone and nature knob. When you say "light and airy" this pedal seems to do that very well - can be dialed in to suit.

Ibanez Bottom Booster (don't laugh) - $50 all day long - I tried one out recently and it makes the low end just a bit fuller while providing something extra - no real breakup to speak of - just pushes your amp nicely.

TC Spark is a nice pedal also, in a similar vain.

Just go try out a bunch and pick the one you like the most.

7. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

SD pickup booster is pretty good for that. I use it mainly for a boost with a lipstick style soundhole pickup on an acoustic and it doesn't seem to color the tone much.

drlucky likes this.
  8. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Just get a Boss BD2 and be done with it. As much or as little “character” as you want, very nice response to your guitar’s volume knob,too.

scottser likes this.
  9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I would start with an EQ pedal to find out where you want that boost in the spectrum. Some EQ pedals have a separate boost on them, but you can give boost without that option with just the EQ.

10. don

don Tele-Meister

I do appreciate al the input! When I say light and airy I guess I'm just trying to say not compressed and not distorted. I am not interested in going down the "change your amp or amp speaker or buy a volume pedal rabbit hole" because once again I like the sound of my current guitar into amp setup and I have enough headroom. I just want the ability to boost the volume and add a little dirt/twang/overdrive or whatever it might be to the single notes with a bit of character that does not drastically alter the non boosted vibe - trying to keep this as simple as possible which is why I prefer 1 pedal on a battery. I tried a friends Tube Screamer and its too mid focused and compressed for me. I have a nice EQ in the closet but I don't think an EQ pedal will add any of the aforementioned dirt/twang/overdrive. The best pedal I tried locally was an
    Earthquaker Plumes https://www.earthquakerdevices.com/plumes but it will not run on a battery so I might have to break that rule if I don't find something better. I'm going to find some videos on each of the pedals mentioned that are not available locally to check out. A big thanks for all the input and opinions so far!

11. Irondog

Irondog TDPRI Member

+1 EP booster,

works Exactly as you describe in your desire. for me, it adds some flavor, slight change in the high frequencies EQ very minor, but just add some character,
    I've gone through a dozen boosters this one was the one that remains, because it did not add too much compression, the string attack just feels maintained.

And if you want you should read about the history of the Delay unit, the EchoPlex circuit is pulled from, that's why the pedal was invented it added such a nice boost to the tape delay signal, guys wanted it separately.
    here's the EP versus the supersweet xotic super sweet definitely seems to start compressing to my ear.

12. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

^^^ This ^^^

I was going to write something similar... but when I read this post I figured it was easier to just quote it and give it a thumbs up!

There is only so much you can boost before that first tube is pushed beyond it's limits. The nature of tubes pushed beyond limits.... first they compress, then they distort. Size of the amp has little to do with it... hitting that first tube into oblivion has a similar effect on a Twin or Plexi as it does on a Princeton.

On the flip side... that is why people love to hit the front end of a tube amps harder... they actually like the compression/sustain it creates whether they realize it's happening or not ;)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  13. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

Lovepedal eternity: clean booster/overdrive/treble booster. What you want. Handwired. Phenomenal tone.

14. don

don Tele-Meister

Good info on the 1st stage - and I am aware which is why I want a cleaner mild overdrive that is not mid focused so when the boost happens and the amp gets pushed it will ultimately end up sounding more open than if I were using a tube screamer. I'll give the EQ pedal a shot and see if it pushes the amp enough to add a little character. Thanks!

15. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

I like the LPB-1. Even at unity it does a little something to the tone that I find pleasing.

Having said that, though, I've replaced it with the Orange Two stroke, which is a boost/eq. It's like adding another channel to the amp. I also like the Diamond Boost/EQ. Not quite as versatile, but only three knobs (mids, tilt, boost), so a lot easier to use.

16. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

RC Booster or the knock offs. No significant mid boost. Bass and treble controls. Some grit can be added with the gain control.

17. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I always found the LPB-1 to be rather dark and a bit muddy. May be my gear.

I like the sounds of that Diamond pedal! I have to check that out.

gwjensen likes this.
  18. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I would go Ge7 eq pedal for this. Then you can tweak any frequencies too

19. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe one of the many EP-3 pre-amp boost like the Xotic EP Boost would add the character and the volume. These have a tendency to become ‘always on’ as sweeteners. Then you are back to your headroom and volume knob. Just my two cents.

20. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Analogman Prince of Tone, or the King of Tone with a clean side and an overdrive side.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.