1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking for an alligator Esquire pickguard. Any help, please?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by CHarg, Apr 18, 2019.

1. CHarg

CHarg TDPRI Member

Hi, Folks! I'm looking for an alligator pickguard for the new Esquire I'm putting together. I saw the thread here about the embossed leather ones Mr. E. Luther was making, but he just told me that he sold the dies to someone on the Forum, but he doesn't remember who. If anyone here knows who has them, or knows another source, I'd really appreciate knowing about it.
    About the Esquire... It's a ToneBomb knotty pine body from eBay, Duncan BG-1400 pickup with a reverse-Eldred wiring harness, Mighty Mite MM2905V v-neck (I also have an AllParts TMO-FAT that I may switch it out with), Fender hardware and an Electrosocket. I dyed the body with Keda powdered aniline dye mixed with acetone into Zinssers SealCoat shellac sanding sealer and finished it with TruOil.
    I learned a lot about what to try and how to do it by reading the threads here. This forum is a great resource, and I tell everybody about it. Thank you all for all the information and opinions!
    I'm trying to include a photo from my phone, but haven't figured out how to do it yet.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Holic

Try searching for alligator leather pickguard on Google....I saw some on eBay, some on Etsy, and some elsewhere, but it's hard to recommend since it's such a matter of taste.

CHarg likes this.
  3. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

I tried to ask him, he didn't want to talk?

SnidelyWhiplash, baiff and CHarg like this.
  4. CHarg

CHarg TDPRI Member

Hi, Rev Rhythm! Thanks for your quick response! I have been searching Google, eBay, Etsy, Pinterest, Reverb, all the places I can think of. I've found some Tele pickguards, but the only alligator Esquire 'guards I've found were either no longer available or graphic ones, from Greasy Groove for example. Thanks again for responding! I'll keep checking all those places.

5. CHarg

CHarg TDPRI Member

I once had a guitar strap made out of his cousin! (I'm in Florida, in "Gator Country"!)

Shuster likes this.
  6. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

... and make it snappy!

Sorry, sorry, I couldn't resist.

CHarg and Shuster like this.
  7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

El Dorado has one for a tele - I noticed it in the leather pickguard thread the other day.

[​IMG]

Maybe if you contact them, they can make one for an Esquire. Worth a try. [email protected]

- D

kafka, El Tele Lobo and CHarg like this.
  8. CHarg

CHarg TDPRI Member

Hi, StrangerNY! Thanks for your response! That's one of the 'guards I saw. That's a good idea, contacting them about the possibility of making a special order. I'll do that. Maybe, if they do special orders, they could darken it up a bit, to an aged medium brown. What I'd love to find is one like the one pictured at the bottom of the first post here, the one that got me started on this quest, that's no longer available:
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/alligator-leather-pickguard.293277/
    Thanks again for your response... It's a good idea.

StrangerNY likes this.
  9. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds cool. Please post pics once you find one and get it installed. Good luck!

CHarg likes this.
  10. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Check out electric_church_pickguards on ebay

CHarg likes this.
  11. CHarg

CHarg TDPRI Member

Yes, I have seen electric church pickguards, and just now went through their inventory. Looks like they make some beautiful 'guards, but I didn't see exactly what I was looking for. They're also in Greece, and I had hoped to find one in the U.S., but I'm not locked into that. I just messaged them to see if they make an alligator embossed aged leather pickguard. Thanks for your response, greatly appreciated!

12. sleazy pot pie

I have a Bakelite alligator pickguard at home that I bought on reverb second hand. I will look and see if there are any markings for who made it tonight when I get home.

CHarg likes this.
  13. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

14. CHarg

CHarg TDPRI Member

Sleazy pot pie, thanks for your reply, and I appreciate you checking out your pickguard for me.
    Mike Simpson, I appreciate your reply also. Eric Luther's post that you referred me to is the one that got me started looking, and the pickguard I would really love to have, but unfortunately Eric is not making it anymore.

15. sleazy pot pie

6E41652F-8AA0-4DD2-8178-3F14C1191D38.png This is what mine looks like.
    It is from eBay seller logandesignsusa

kafka and CHarg like this.
  16. CHarg

CHarg TDPRI Member

Hi, sleazy pot pie! I just went through all of Logan Designs USA's offerings on eBay, and they do have a lot of really nice pickguards. I didn't see any alligator ones, at least not at the moment, but I did see a nice copper floral one that would probably look good on there if I don't go with the alligator. Thanks a lot for your help!

17. sleazy pot pie

I am sure you could reach out to either of those folks and ask about what you are looking for. I went through the same thing finding the one I have. So keep the faith

CHarg likes this.
  18. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

You might get a stock white or black Esquire guard and then look for a roll of shelf paper, cloth, or vinyl at craft stores to cover your own. Maybe upholstery shops have a lead on fake vinyl or real.

CHarg likes this.
  19. CHarg

CHarg TDPRI Member

Hi, jvin248. That's an idea that I hadn't thought of. Thanks!

20. CHarg

CHarg TDPRI Member

Hi, sleazy pot pie ! I did reach out to both El Dorado and Electric Church. El Dorado got back with me right away, and they're sending me a swatch of their latest alligator print leather so I can check out the color, which changes by the batch from their supplier. I haven't heard anything back from Electric Church yet, but we'll see. As it stands now, it looks like I might well go with El Dorado, but I'm still hoping that the person on this forum who bought Eric Luther's dies will see this post and reply, if they're making pickguards. Thanks for your words of support!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.