Looking for affordable pedal for rockabilly/surf

FatRosie

Tele-Meister
Has anyone tried Donner Revecho pedal? Would that work? Other suggestions? I'd be open to getting an affordable delay/rockabilly/slapback pedal and a separate affordable reverb/surf/drippy pedal too I suppose.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Has anyone tried Donner Revecho pedal? Would that work? Other suggestions? I'd be open to getting an affordable delay/rockabilly/slapback pedal and a separate affordable reverb/surf/drippy pedal too I suppose.

I own a RevEcho, and I give it a qualified '2 thumbs UP!'
A few things/ explain:

I already have a main all Boss pedalboard ( many years now) that I use for gigs, with a few combo amps that have good Reverb. I do play some surf, rockabilly in our repertoire, and I can dial up my own take, for those sounds...

- but I also have my 'fun board,' which is to try out various cheap pedals, as well as to something that address the lack of ( or poor) reverb on a few other amps I use, plus add a delay.

Enter the RevEcho!

The Reverb is not as fantastic as another digital Spring Reverb I own.
But not bad at all, and not weird-sounding- which I have heard with other digitals.
The 2 controls are fine.

The Delay is also fine! Controls for Delay time ( wide!), # of Repeats, Mix.
So for $60 this thing is a great value- hits two effects pretty well.

Downside:
- the knobs are very small ( but light up!) So a little rotation can go a long way- no biggie if you play with things a bit, listen...
- not sure, but the ( extra purchase) Donner power supply ( + daisy chain) may be noisy. So I just got a 1-Spot + Daisy chain to power the board
Happy with it!

Attachments

• 20210211_144224.jpg
    20210211_144224.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
The old behringer reverb pedal that I think was called the “reverb machine” sounds surprisingly good, and that’s coming from someone who was in a surf band and owns a RI fender reverb unit.

As far as slapback delay goes, i think almost any delay pedal with a low noise floor is probably going to be ok - it’s not like the delay sound hangs out long enough for you to hear it very well, and i think any kind of further nuance is likely to be lost to that. It’s like making mixed drinks with top shelf liquor.

Both of the old danelectro tremolo pedals sound pretty nice. The cool cat is i think the same circuit as the one with the food name, but in a nicer enclosure, albeit with stupid knob positioning.

I’m currently using the behringer copy of the old boss three knob digital delay, and i think it’s a pretty ok pedal and it’ll do that kind of slapback for short money.

The other guitarist in my band used a holy grail reverb for a while and i liked that, and his trelicopter pedal sounds good.

davidge1

Friend of Leo's
Any delay pedal will produce a rockabilly slapback sound as well as any other. But surf music is the sound of Fender amps and spring reverb. Nothing else I've ever heard will even come close.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
Any delay pedal will produce a rockabilly slapback sound as well as any other. But surf music is the sound of Fender amps and spring reverb. Nothing else I've ever heard will even come close.

Do you have any experience with the Boss FRV-1 reverb pedal? I’m told it’s as close as one can to get to an actual Fender spring reverb and it’s drip.

I’m no expert on surf music or on Fender reverbs, but I found a used FRV-1 pedal cheap and like it in general.

RetroTeleRod

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I’m no expert on surf music or on Fender reverbs, but I found a used FRV-1 pedal cheap and like it in general.
If you found a Boss FRV-1 Fender Reverb pedal cheap...Grab it! Take a look online and see how much they are going for these days. The cheapest one on Reverb at the moment is priced at over 200 bucks! If you don't like it you should be able to resell it for a nice profit.

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
I once did some sound for a fantastic multi-instrumentalist a few times who had as part of his stage schtick, the comment that "I never pay more than $50 for a banjo, and never more than $5000 for a fiddle." He had a very nice fiddle, you see.

The slapback is the banjo. 95% of delays regardless of pricepoint will get you a passible slapback. Don't even sweat it. Just get a cheap one that doesn't destroy your clean tone. You could play with a $20 box from Amazon, and maybe .01% of your audience would ever say "that slapback delay is too cheap sounding" - and that guy is dumb and would complain no matter what you did.

The reverb on the other hand... That's the fiddle.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
I once did some sound for a fantastic multi-instrumentalist a few times who had as part of his stage schtick, the comment that "I never pay more than $50 for a banjo, and never more than $5000 for a fiddle." He had a very nice fiddle, you see.

The slapback is the banjo. 95% of delays regardless of pricepoint will get you a passible slapback. Don't even sweat it. Just get a cheap one that doesn't destroy your clean tone. You could play with a $20 box from Amazon, and maybe .01% of your audience would ever say "that slapback delay is too cheap sounding" - and that guy is dumb and would complain no matter what you did.

The reverb on the other hand... That's the fiddle.
Cheap banjos are awful, though.

BorderRadio

Doctor of Teleocity
Agreed, any cheap delay pedal will work, preferably one that has a dry signal through. The reverb on the other hand is likely to cost a bit more. I haven't used one, but the ubiquitous HOF is likely to be the best quality for dollar, at used prices anyways. You'd have ability to do an adequate spring tank sound, but also some colored room type of sounds to enhance the slapback.

I've bought (and sold) the FRV-1 twice. It is nice and drippy, but also kinda brittle and harsh, especially with a dirt pedal in front. It's also not cheap. I'd get a Topanga for that kind of money, but while both these pedal do what they claim to do, the HOF will still be the 'jack of all trades'.

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
Cheap banjos are awful, though.

I'd agree, but then I'd listen to this guy play a 2x4. I wish I could remember who it was. I did a lot of sound for absurdly talented folk/acoustic musicians during that period. Rockabilly/surf folks too, for that matter.

Beebe

Tele-Holic
I don't know what's considered inexpensive anymore.

Reverb: I'd look at one of the smaller Holy Grail pedals on the Spring setting.

Delay: Memory Toy analog delay (has dry signal blend).

Both of these are always floating around used and come in (sometimes) less expensive nano versions.

Jack Clayton

Tele-Holic
In an only slightly higher price bracket, the DOD FX90 is easily the best slapback pedal I've ever played. Its tone is so dark and murky that you can bring it way up in the mix, and it's still tasteful. For longer delays, I'll always reach for my deluxe memory man, but the FX90 will always be the slapback go to.

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
If you found a Boss FRV-1 Fender Reverb pedal cheap...Grab it! Take a look online and see how much they are going for these days. The cheapest one on Reverb at the moment is priced at over 200 bucks! If you don't like it you should be able to resell it for a nice profit.

I saw it at pawn shop 4 or 5 years ago for $50 or $60. It was like new with the box, so I grabbed it.

I’m too cheap to buy one now! 😜