Looking for advice/thoughts on adding single coil

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Boxla, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Holic

Hi all. I was not sure where to post this question, so I thought I'd start here.

I have a Music Man Sport with two stock MM90/P90 pickups and a three way switch. I love the stock pickups but I'm contemplating adding in a middle single coil and switching to a 5 way switch. I'm hoping to get a taste of the 4th position sound on a traditional Strat, even if it's just a tad. I figure, if anything, I'll still get a few more sounds than I currently have.

My ideal selections would be (if this is how you label the positions with 1 being bridge):
    1-bridge MM90
    2- Bridge/Neck MM90
    3- Middle single coil pickup
    4-Middle pickup and neck MM90
    5-Neck MM90

Questions:

Is this worth going through the cost and trouble?
    Anything I need to keep in mind?
    Any pickup suggestions? If so, do I need to think about what type of output the new pickup should have or anything else?
    Has anyone else done something like this with P90's?

Thanks so much for any advice or thoughts!

2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Chances are it will be wired like a strat.

1-bridge
    2-b&m
    3-middle
    4-m&n
    5-neck

Some guitarists like the in between positions.

To get the neck/bridge an additional switch works. A blender knob is popular to adjust how much bridge is blended with the neck.

If you want hum bucking in the in between positions traditionally the middle p/u is reverse wound reverse polarity.

I would probably stick with single coil for the middle. The volume could be reduced on a hot pickup but it would be better to have all of them the same-ish volume from the start.

I assume the 3 P90 guitars are set up like this.

telepraise and Boxla like this.
  3. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Holic

Thanks for the nice reply! The only reason I was saying bridge and neck for the 2 position is because that's what I currently get in my middle position on the 3 way switch and I like it. I'd like to keep it if possible. And many times, I find the 2 and 4 positions on a Strat kind of redundant. So if I could keep the current neck and bridge in #2 position and add the middle and neck to #4, that seems ideal to me. I'm not sure though if a wiring like that is possible, or is pretty much any combination possible when you wire these up?

The other option someone mentioned was replacing the bridge MM90 with a split coil humbucker and forget about routing in a new middle single coil.

4. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Maybe a superswitch with additional switching? Maybe a standard 3-way switch and another switch to turn on one of the pickups no matter where the 3-way was set.

Ime, a humbucker would not replace the sound of of the in between positions.

Boxla likes this.
  5. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

I love p90s! In my experience, nothing does the strat sound like a strat. I also find the #2 and 4 postions to sound quite a bit different, at least when clean. I vote for just carrying two guitars.

Boxla likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.