Looking for advice on second guitar

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Tom in Georgia, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Tom in Georgia

Tom in Georgia TDPRI Member

Hi Guys;
    I'm slowly returning to playing after about 30 years and absolutely loving it - mostly blues and blues derived R&R. Bought myself a MIM HSS Strat and it seems to be a pretty darned good guitar. Now I'm thinking about my next one. I want something that I can use to experiment with: alternate tunings, slides, different string weights, etc. Here are what I see as my best options along with pros and cons. Please share your thoughts, ideas, recommendations.

1. Epiphone LP - I would like to see what a Les Paul feels like without breaking the bank. Seems like a good choice for slide blues and electronics could someday be updated if I like the platform. It would offer a little variety, let me see which I like better, and cost around the same as my MIM Strat - maybe a little less.

2. Squier HSS Strat - Stays with the same Strat platform (which I'm admittedly still learning) and can be had cheap enough that I don't mind tinkering and experimenting. It would be a step down quality wise compared to the Fender, and more of an educational tool. I might even be willing to learn to do a set up on a cheap guitar.

3. MIA Strat - Get a higher end MIA Strat and downgrade the MIM to experimentation. Still stays with the Strat platform and probably holds its value better. Downside is that the MIM may be a little too nice for a novice to tinker with. Upside is that it pretty much eliminates to desire to trade up to a nicer one as I progress.

I'm certainly open to options besides these three.
    Thanks,
    Tom

2. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

What's your budget? You have a range of prices there with the guitars you listed?

This is a tele forum so I think you'll get the obvious tele comments here. A MIM would go well with your strat, but so would a p90 Gibson tribute.

There are a lot of options for you. If you like the strat you have then I'd say go with something different. P90's would be what I'd be looking into.

3. Phrasemaker

Phrasemaker Tele-Meister

Maybe go play an Epi LP with coil tap, very versatile guitar. I got one when I was less able to drop a pile of cash on a guitar, I upgraded the switch gear and wiring a couple of years in when the pots got noisy and then fitted Gibson pickups to it. I subsequently got a LP custom for ten times the price. The Epi will out sustain my Gibson custom every day of the week.

RevMike likes this.
  4. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

This is kinda what I was thinking.

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I would seriously look at an Epi Dot pro. A great blues machine. It will give you an additional bunch of other tones. I lived with just a strat and an Epi Sheraton II for quite a few years.

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Epiphone is making some hellaciously good guitars these days. I swore I would never own a LP again as long as I lived but after having purchased an ES 339 from a friend that is an amazing guitar for little money after I sold my Thinline w/P90s I decided to pickup an Epi '56 Gold Top w/P90s and give it a shot. Once again I got lucky and found myself and exceptional guitar and I would add that they cost me less than $350 apiece.

Epi has a quite a few different LP models and maybe you'd prefer a different pickup configuration but the build quality and playability of all of those I've played is pretty exceptional for any guitar at that price point.

7. Tom in Georgia

Thanks for all of your input guys. I just wanted to follow up and say that here is what I ended up with. upload_2016-7-1_16-6-36.png
    Caught it on sale at the local GC. I haven't has a chance to fire it up yet. Hopefully over the long weekend.
    Tom

8. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Why not a Tele?

9. Tom in Georgia

You know - I had never really thought about a Tele for playing slide. Then just the other day I was watching and old video of Clapton and Beck playing "Shake Your Money Maker" and lo and behold, JB was playing the heck out of a Tele with a slide. Oh well, I guess it leaves me with something else to aspire to.

Tom

10. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

Tom,

Have fun with that Studio. I am on a LP forum and that is a highly regarded guitar. And since you have a strat the LP with a different scale will play a bit different and bends will be different as well.

I have several Strats, and Tele a LP Standard and a Washburn Idol. All great guitars and I swap mostly between the Strats and the LP's. you also have the benefit of a double hum bucker which will create a whole host of different textures.

Enjoy your new purchase. THere is always more room for guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.