Looking for a Tube Head Under 20 Watts

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LukeP, Jan 28, 2016.

1. LukeP

LukeP TDPRI Member

I'm in the market for an amp head. I'm looking for something around 15-20 watts. Doesn't have to be anything super special.
    I play mostly cleanish to slightly overdriven praise and worship guitar, as well as your standard overdriven blues sounds with a Les Paul and a Strat.
    I'm currently considering 3 amps:

Vox NT15H
    Egnater Tweaker 15
    Orange Tiny Terror

I don't need anything with a ton of gain, and I'm aware that maybe that's what at least one of these amps is known for, but I thought I might like to try a different approach to crafting my sound. I'll be running the amp through a 1x12 open back cab with a WGS g12c/s speaker. My budget is around $300, I might be able to get close to $500 but would like to stay as close to the $300 mark as possible. Thanks in advance.

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Tweaker 15 is really sweet. I've had one for a few years now. Loads of gigs on it.

One of my favorite things about it-

It responds hugely to tube swaps. Different preamp tunes do a lot, but so do different power tubes. It's cathode biased, and super hardy. You can run literally ANY octal power tubes in this amp, without any need for biasing.

I've run 6V6, 6L6, KT66, and EL34s in mine. All of them sound different. It's a blast. It's like having a whole collection of amps in one tiny head.

I'm currently running GT E34L tubes in it. My favorites.

Downside- it sounds "pretty good" at low volumes. But not out of this world. Once you get the master up around 1-2 pm, it turns into a seriously sick beast. That's pretty loud though. Not sure how much volume you're allowed at church.

Not to say it sounds bad at Lowe volumes. It's a great amp. It just really turns into a different animal run up in the sweetness range.

I love the Tweaker 15. Mine has been rock solid reliable at home and on the road for several years, and I bought it used for $200. Color me a very satisfied user!

3. LukeP

LukeP TDPRI Member

Thanks for the response. I've read that the tweaker is quite vesatile and that's what made me consider it. I really like the idea of tube swapping, especially with all of the different voicings the amp already provides.
    I can get decently loud and get away with it without too many stares from band mates so I'm comfortable in saying I could get the master volume that high.
    I've seen a few used tweaker heads for $300 and might pull the trigger.
    One of my concerns about the tweaker was, with so many options available for "tweakability" does that seem to take away from anything? What I mean is does it seem to do all of these voicings well or does it just do one thing well and the others just ok?

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

That little ibanez tube tsa 15 is a good value, and sounds decent.

5. Jakedog

I don't think I've ever gotten an un-useable sound out of it. I tend to use the Brit voicing more than anything, because I like Brit voiced amps. I do not think the American setting on the voicing switch sounds like a Fender. Other people do.

I'm sure like any amp, you'd find a spot you prefer to the others most of the time, but I've not heard anything out of mine that I'd say "sucks".

I bought mine because I needed a lower wattage head for gigging some smaller rooms, and stumbled onto it for $200 the day I happened to have $200 eating a hole in my pocket. I didn't really know anything about it, but it sounded decent so I bought it.

Did some research when I got it home and found out about all the tube swapping stuff. So I started jamming stuff in there. I've got the GT E34L's in the power section, a couple old Tung Sol and an old RCA in the pre. It's a sick little Marshall now on the "Brit" setting. Which is what I wanted.

I have a really good friend and fellow road dog who borrowed mine for awhile, and liked it so much he bought his own. He's a tweed super and tweed deluxe guy. I don't hear a huge difference in his tone since he started using the Egnater. He says for a lot of stuff, he likes it better.

6. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Vox now makes the AC15CH head. Get all the Vox tones and features of the AC15C1, but in a head. Not sure how it would sound with the G12C/S, as Vox goes best with British voiced speakers.

The VHT Special 12/20 is an American (i.e. Fender-ish) Voiced amp, that will take any octal tube or an EL84 with the optional adapters. They also make the Special 12/20 RT with reverb and tremolo.

7. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Egnater 15
    I wonder what the transformer is rated at. From the manual:

17) Do not attempt to replace tubes or bias the amplifier by yourself. Refer to authorized service center.

18) Do not remove rear metal grill. No user serviceable parts inside.

8. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Those are standard disclaimers from most amp makers. They don't want the liability of some screwing up and damaging the amp or hurting themselves, if the person doesn't know what they are doing, or does something wrong.

9. LukeP

LukeP TDPRI Member

I've got some old 12ax7's and el84's from a Hammond AO-43 that I might like to throw into the tweaker and try if I end up going that route.
    I didn't know about the Vox AC15CH until now. That sounds interesting.
    I also hadn't considered the VHT until now. Pretty good deal for a hand wired all tube head. ($500)
    All very good stuff and I appreciate it a lot.

10. Jakedog

You'd need adapters (like Yellowjackets) to run EL84 tubes in the tweaker.

11. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

Well the Tiny Terror isn't the best choice for cleans. If you want an Orange I would vote for the OR15. It has great cleans and light OD, but really shines when you crank it.

12. slowpinky

slowpinky Tele-Afflicted

I've got a DV Mark Galileo 15 head - picked up new for 500 bucks here on Oz. It's got really great cleans and I use it for jazz gigs with a C Rex in the matching cab . They have stopped making them but they are still around new old stock - and the odd s/h one. They are small and light for a tube amp - i tour with mine in a soft case in the cabin. They have a new one out called the Gen 15 but I havent heard any blurb on it.

Heres one I found for sale over there...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/DV-MARK-Gal...573443?hash=item2ca4827283:g:TAQAAOSwvt1WSCzI

13. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

The G12C/S with the 2nd generation Night Train head is an awesome combo.

The new Peavey 20w heads are probably worth looking at.

If you can get a Super Sonic 22 head or a Tubemeister 18, they are worth a try too. The Tubemeister has some really nice features for live situations....

-tINY

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  14. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

SCX2?... Ibanez TSA15?... Egnater 15?...

15. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Traynor Dark Horse ?

16. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Most definitely, the Peavey Mini Heads are truly awesome. I have the ValveKing MH20. It does high gain, bluesy-rock and amazing clean. I use mine with a 2x12 cab and is loud enough to jam with a rock drummer. Switchable from 20w, 5w to 1w for bedroom practice. Excellent reverb. Effects loop, USB audio out to connect to Laptop.

VKMH20.jpg

17. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

Play a Blackstar HT Studio 20H....20 watts, 2 channels, EQ on each channel, reverb.....$499 if you pay full price brand new. I gig one of these with two 1 x 12 Avatar cabs with Cannibis Rex speakers. It's a fantastic 20 watt head at any volume. I think I paid $300 used on Reverb.com for the head. It's been bulletproof.

https://www.blackstaramps.com/products/ht-studio-20h

My Blackstar Ready for anything....I love this head....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  18. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

^^^^^^^

19. CAAD8N8

CAAD8N8 Tele-Holic

I really liked the Egnater Rebel 20 head as well. Great to blend the 6v6's and EL84's.

20. LukeP

LukeP TDPRI Member

Wow, I didn't expect this kind of response. This is great. Looks like I have quite a bit of research to do as I haven't heard of a few of the amps mentioned.
    Im digging that sound in the video, especially the driven bits.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.