Looking for a Truck - Advice?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bparnell57, Jan 15, 2018.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I had a 97 exactly like the one below. Mine was a Mazda but it came off the same line as a Ranger. It had the 3.0 v6 and if I remember right it got around 20 MPG, however it was a 5 speed stick. I loved driving it but it sucked in snow. Had to really sand bag the heck out of it. (I had a little Nissan that loved the snow)

Anyway, the worst thing about that Mazda (Ranger) was that it lost a head gasket at about 65,000. Most everybody seemed to like their Ranger...I probly just had bad luck. Hope yours treats you good!

[​IMG]

2. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Looks like a good deal.

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had a buddy/co-worker who was an outside sales guy that had one of those Rangers X cabs he bought almost new. It seemed fine, we were both on mileage deals at the time, and I know he would have been kicking about it if it used a lot of gas. He drove it several years and I never knew him to have any serious problems. We would both put close to forty thousand miles a year on a vehicle at the time. I ran one truck five years and had around 200,000, and another 4 years and had 167,000 on it when I sold it, 'cause I got a company truck. (the very best kind)

4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

The only accurate way to check MPG is, fill tank, drive, fill tank, do the math.
    I remember one guy that was getting about 30mpg with an 86 F-250 6.9 diesel. At the time I had an 88 F-350 7.3 diesel so I knew his number was wrong and asked how he figured MPG.
    He filled it then when it hit 3/4 tank he did the math based on the tank holding 20 gallons so he did his math thinking he burnt 5 gallons of fuel. Trouble is those Fords would go for ever between full and 3/4 tank. Most vehicles do after that it drops faster. He was probably in the 15 to 17 mpg range.

Anyway I hope your Ranger isn't the gas hog like the 4x4s I was around. And now that think about it the two I had the most experience with were 99s so thay might have changed something.
    Nothing worse than a little truck that sucks gas. The Nissan Pathfinder I paid $250 for in Fairbanks and drove back only got 17mpg. That's less than the Suburban I replaced it with.

bparnell57 likes this.
  5. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

I had a 1990 Ranger with the 4 liter V6 that was darn near bulletproof. Got many miles out of it. And it ran like a bat outta hell.

6. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Understand this. I was just going by a rough estimate. I'll have to check when I fill it up, like you stated.

BobbyZ likes this.
  7. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

Shoulda bought that van. Why ? Side loading doors , priceless , load tie down rails priceless lockfast priceless.

Besides that it looked pretty sharp for its age. Can't you check mileage from smog check records ? Main dealer service records ?

8. bparnell57

Had high engine hours upon looking at it, some rust spots starting to peek through, was owned by a municipality notorious for beating vehicles, and had some issues including cosmetics, comfort, and wiring.

9. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

I was only really concerned with practicality and security. I really don't get the 'truck' thing from the point of view of schlepping gear around , high load height , open to the elements without a lid.
    No matter , I hope your new vehicle work well for you.

FWIW I have a PA that I lug about from time to time. I have a Chrysler grand Voyager with all the back seats pulled out and dumped. I have a full 8 x 4 deck , tie down points , low loading height , electric sliding side doors , and comfy too. I'm 6ft4.

william tele likes this.
  10. bparnell57

The guy gave me a cap with brand new locks on it for $50. I never leave gear in a vehicle, even locked. Only exception might be parking in front of a gas station's front door.

Towing capacity was a factor. Would like the capacity to pull a moderately sized utility trailer when needed. Easier to have a Ranger do that than a minivan. Especially if I upgrade any portion of the rear suspension or the brakes.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

These small pickups are pretty decent, IMO. Toyota gets all the hurrahs, but the Ford Ranger is IMO decidedly better than the Nissans or Chevy/GMCs which are your other choices. IMO where the Toyota Tacoma really outshone its competition IMO was in the 4x4 version, specifically the narrow wheelbase kind they made until 2005.

We offer advice based on general traits, but yep, in the end you have to be happy with the example you find. If that big diesel van made you uneasy, looking at it in person, you made the right choice. And, if you found some rust, undoubtedly there's still more of it.

bparnell57 likes this.
  12. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

If that van was the vehicle with the 6.5 diesel you definitely made a good choice not buying it. Some of those ran a good long time, some didn't. And diesels are expensive to fix.

Before you pull a trailer consider beefing up the bumper. When my brother's 99 Ranger was new (not rusted yet) he was going to rent a Bobcat. He hooked up a trailer and headed to the rental place. The bumper collapsed on the way there.
    With the empty trailer !
    And it could be the dealer just put on the cheapest bumper they could find too, who knows?
    If there's any weigh to the trailer at all get one with brakes that work. My preference is electric. Because if you load it wrong and it starts dancing around behind you, you can reach down and hit the trailer brakes to get it settled down.
    Trailer I used to have was horrible for that if the load was light in front. You want a fair amount of tongue weight. Another reason to check that bumper, think my brother's was rated for something crazy like 200 pounds, maybe 300. I remember him reading and saying something about it not collapsing when he stood on it. (he didn't weight 200 pounds back then)

13. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

My last truck I bought from a snowbird, who used it to haul a trailer from Quebec to Hallandale every winter.

It was a Ford F250 XLT, extended cab, 4x4 with the 7.3 Power Stroke diesel. I paid $5500 for it, and it had 60,000 miles on it at the time. It had a manual transmission, which I preferred, and it was a surprisingly good driver. The diesel was a little noisy, but strong, and got good mileage, far better than my previous gasoline-powered 460 V8.

I don't know if there is a website of forum for snowbirds, but if there is, you can probably find clean, non-abused trucks for sale there.

14. bparnell57

Thanks for the heads up.

The truck has a frame mounted class 2 or 3 hitch with 2" receiver. The guy I bought it from occasionally towed an ATV trailer, and sometimes his aluminum row boat.

BobbyZ likes this.
  15. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

My brothers have been driving trucks since the '80s. They've had them all. They've both landed on Toyota.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Toyota's at nice trucks. My son has a Tundra he bought new in 2002 he's still driving because all of the full sized pickups are too big now. He has plenty of money, he just doesn't want to change. Eventually he will have to I suppose. It has held up remarkably well. My brother-in-law has a Chevy Silverado that's a couple of years old a four door model that rides like a limousine, that six can ride in, it has a 300 hp v6 that gets 20 miles to the gallon running around town! If I myself were buying a new truck, it would be a Chevy just like his.

17. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

my friend had a cap on his truck...it was a 86 nissan pickup...the truck is gone but the cap is there...he was trying to give it away...just messaged him to see if he still has it and for free...i read you have one but if you want another for free...depending on if it would fit...waiting to hear back

good luck with the new truck

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

ok the cap is gone...but still has the bed liner...but that prolly wont fit...its free though

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Afflicted

Kenworth or Peterbilt or Freightliner are your best bets for a truck.

bparnell57 and boris bubbanov like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

A road less traveled.

[​IMG]

bparnell57 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.