looking for a tremolo pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by tbrookshire, Nov 4, 2015.

1. tbrookshire

tbrookshire TDPRI Member

I am looking to add a tremolo pedal to my setup. I have been focusing on the Moog Minifooger Trem, I have the delay and it is great so I expect the tremolo is also. I have also been considering the Keeley Dynatrem, but I sort of get put off by not having a "standard" tremolo mode.

I only play at home so I don't need anything too pricey, although I don't want crap either so I don't mind spending over $100 to get something good. As far as sub $100 pedals, the ones I have been drawn to are the BBE Tremor and the Digitech Hardwire Tremolo/Rotary pedal. can be had used for $60-75

Can anyone recommend any of these or others that fit the bill? I would get the Strymon Flint if money were no object. Up to $150 is about all I want to spend.

2. FenderBender10

FenderBender10 Tele-Holic

Source audio Vertigo is amazing.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome to TDPRI. There are lots of people here with tons of experience, so you found the right place. I just went through this exercise earlier in the year (a lengthy multi month search) after many years of inexpensive tremolo pedals. What I learned was there are distinct different types of trem sounds. From my search for your price range, I liked the Voodoo Labs the best. My last trem pedal was a Rogue Tremolo that I used for a few years and quite a good, basic trem for the price and can sometimes be had for $30 on MFSDOTD.

BTW, I learned that the trem in my head was from an early '60s Fender tube bias trem and ended up getting the VFE Old School which is exactly what I was looking for, but for your first trem pedal, I would go with something more basic.

4. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

I like the Voodoo lab a lot! It sounds sweet and has an output control which is a must IMHO.

5. tbrookshire

tbrookshire TDPRI Member

thanks for the quick feedback, should have mentioned I have had trems over the years, played off and on for 15 years. I've had the Boss, and most recently the Joyo. Was ok for what it was but not what I was looking for.

I will check out the suggestions.

6. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

VFE Old School, has standard features as well as other cool stuff.

7. WTCannon3

WTCannon3 TDPRI Member

Honestly if you're wanting that vintage "blackface" fender tone, I'd go with the Supa-Trem by Fulltone. The photocell makes a real, honest difference
    Fairly simple, yet versatile.. I've been able to get classic old school trem, or kind of cool almost pump organ sounds by messing with the "hard/soft" switch. They're going for around $125 on Reverb

*BTW I'm new here...take it easy on me fellas :p

8. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

+1 on the Voodoo Lab

9. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

demeter tremulator will turn up used in that price range -- I think I paid $100 for mine. does the blackface Fender trem thing to a T. The Voodoo is more versatile but I don't think it's as clean of a signal path.

10. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

11. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

"I have also been considering the Keeley Dynatrem, but I sort of get put off by not having a "standard" tremolo mode."

I believe the Keeley Dyna-Trem pedal does have a hidden standard trem feature that is very easy to access. You should definitely reconsider this pedal if it was one of your first options.
    The Moog and Digitech Hardwire Rotary thing both look good too!

Those are some that I was considering too when I was looking to add a vib/trem sound to my board....but then I discovered something about myself through the search I am sort of echo junkie and I'd rather have two or three maybe even four delay pedals than anything else.

Maybe someday I'll get to own a true tremolo pedal but until then I have to settle with the tape warble wave sounds found in one of my many delays

Good luck with your search....there seems to be too many good options out there!!!

12. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have been through a LOT of Trem pedals. For the cheap option-

Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo.

Dirt cheap, and seriously badass.

Cons: Not a lot of bells and whistles. No tap tempo, speed switch, etc.

Pros: small footprint, no volume drop, killer sound. Just a fantastic trem for a great price, if you don't need a lot of extras.

Tough too. I gigged mine for six years. About 200 nights a year. Still works great.

The only reason I'm not still using it, is because I got a Fulltone Supa-Trem for free. My brother bought it, and decided he just had to have a tap tempo and other extras, and bought an Empress.

I don't think the Supa-Trem sounds "better" than the Cool Cat. They are different from one another, but both really good. However, I like the speed switch and volume control (you can even boost with it) a lot. Very cool features. So the Fulltone is on my board for the foreseeable future. Great trem, and even if I'd had to pay for it, wouldn't have broken the bank.

13. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

+1 on the Fulltone Supa-Trem. I love, LOVE this pedal. I used to have the Dano CC Trem, and while I liked the value it offered, I didn't love it. The FT ST sounds like an amp tremolo.

14. tbrookshire

tbrookshire TDPRI Member

Ah yes, the Supa-Trem is one that I was looking at and forgot to mention. Great suggestions, I appreciate it.

15. tbrookshire

tbrookshire TDPRI Member

Anyone have specific experience with the Moog? I really like the idea of controlling the speed or depth with the expression pedal.

16. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

The Hardwire stuff is built like a tank. I have one of their tuners.

Always lots of love (and some hate) for the trusty BOSS TR-2. That's what I have.

17. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo and Voodoo Lab Tremolo are my two favorites.

18. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

If you get the Supa-Trem, get the one with the volume knob on the outside. I guess ultimately, I don't turn that knob too much, but when I DO need to boost a bit, it's much easier to have that knob on the outside than as a trimpot on the inside. I guess it's a Fulltone Supa-Trem v.2, but I'm NOT referring to the FT Supa-Trem II, which is a different pedal.

19. tbrookshire

tbrookshire TDPRI Member

You guys have put me on the right path, thanks! Just gotta watch some demos and decide

20. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I got a Suhr Jack Rabbit a month or two back and I like it very much. It has five different wave shapes as well as several tempo options that I've not even got around to yet as the basic sound is so good. It's not cheap but is well worth the expense.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.