1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking for a "tight/crisp/neat" overdrive with Tele.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Maroonandwhite, Jan 6, 2020.

1. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

The following might be something to file away, mentally, for future reference, since it's not an overdrive. The Boss CP-1X compressor is quiet and excels at string separation (if that's what you mean by note definition). I'm still getting a feel for mine, but the lack of noise (compared with my previous compressor, an Xotic SP) is immediately noticeable; and there's a big increase in clarity (over the uneffected sound) with all knobs at twelve o'clock.

I look forward to hearing how it all works out for the current application. (I'm looking for a Tumnus Deluxe too, so maybe our streams will cross on Reverb!)

Maroonandwhite likes this.
  2. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

Archer

Greggorios likes this.
  3. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Maybe a Dumble-in-a-box style pedal? Something like a Mad Professor Simble could be perfect for this. Very crisp sounding to my ears!

Greggorios likes this.
  4. guitphil

guitphil TDPRI Member

fwiw, i've always gravitated towards the "Ford Motor Co." of pedals. i.e., standard vanilla stuff that can easily be replaced if my gear gets lost, stolen, or damaged. these days a good classic overdrive can be had for very little and the tried and true circuits have been used, abused, and rehashed to no end. Tubescreamers and Bluesdrivers are plentiful and can be found on the cheap used. I always have an extra Bluesdriver in the disaster bag. many great tunes been recorded or performed live using something in the TS/BD family of overdrives.

5. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

I'm curious. Can you cite an example I can find on youtube?

4pickupguy likes this.
  6. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I would second or third something like the Morning Glory, which is a variant of the 90s Bluesbreaker pedal.

My goto for this type would be a Coppersound FoxCatcher and some guitar centers now carry them - easy enough to check online if one is nearby.

But I would definitely say a modern version of the blues breaker circuit...

RYAN1987M likes this.
  7. oopsimeltednitro

oopsimeltednitro TDPRI Member

I have a tumnus deluxe, it does that hillsongy type OD well imo. I like pummeling it with an EP booster for some extra magic.

8. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I like it just fine stock so I can’t help you there.

That is a really nice one. My only argument is I find the gain ever so slightly grainier than some of the others I mentioned, but that’s me splitting hairs.

9. Maroonandwhite

Maroonandwhite Tele-Meister

You could try "Resurrecting" By Elevation Worship - Towards the end

It was actually difficult to find an example haha. I'm sure there are some differences hearing it separately and in the mix. Let me know if that helps. I'll keep looking.

Just pretend (maybe you don't have to) you are a 60+ southern Baptist that doesn't really care to have an electric guitar on stage. I want it right up to that breaking point haha. Just enough for some flavor but not out in front of everything.

bluesholyman likes this.
  10. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I can relate to that. I had a bit of gain on my sound when trying out for a local worship band where most everyone was in their 50s and 60s except me. The band leader had a sour look on her face and asked what was wrong with the guitar sound.

Then I switched to totally squeaky clean and immediately got compliments after the next song was over.

11. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

tight/crisp/neat,,, worship music....

Play with about 50% less dirty/fizzy/overdrive than you think you need. In other words, less dirt. Also, a touch more mids.

There's plenty of ways to do it, don't over twist the knobs on whatever you're using is the first step.

Lies&Distortion likes this.
  12. Maroonandwhite

That’s my main issue with my current pedal. No knobs. I could back the amp eq off but I don’t leave this pedal and and am very happy with my clean sound. I’ve tried shaping/taming the OD250 with my BD-2 but didn’t care for it.
    I’m gonna try again to run it at 9V tonight. It has such a fine line between almost off and slight breakup that it’s hard to find a sweet spot.

13. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

OP never said what amp was in use.. seems like that can have a huge effect.

I guess guitar is assumed to be a Tele. '

Both amp and Guitar really matter.

Right now I have a Tumnus Deluxe, Maxon OD808, and a Morning Glory V4. To me the OPs post sounds Morning Glory.

The Tumnus sounded horrible with my Tele into my Orange amp unless you were going on the dirty channel and were doing a balls-out lead tone that would never fly in a worship context AFAICT. It actually sounds more nasally and mid-humpy in a lot of ways/setups than the OD808, and the more clean the amp is the more it sounds like and SRV tone.

The Morning Glory does a really good "polite overdrive." If I was to rate on polite Overdrive it would be Best = Morning Glory, OK = Tube Screamer with gain up around 10 o'clock & volume around unity with tone rolled down. Worst by far would be the Tumnus. The Tumnus wants to be used with a screaming amp really badly.

I gotta sell my Tumnus Deluxe really badly actually. I just got a G&L Doheny (Jazzmaster-ish). I was hoping I'd like the Tumnus Deluxe more with this guitar than with my Tele but nope, it's amp related more than guitar related. I think I dislike the Tumnus Deluxe into my amp even more with this guitar than the Tele. The Tube Screamer is about the same with the Doheny, the Morning Glory is better with the Doheny than the Tele. I see JHS playing lots of Offsets in his videos maybe that's a factor.

dswo and Maroonandwhite like this.
  14. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Don’t know a thing about “worship” music but a Timmy pedal might be the ticket for what you’re after.

15. Maroonandwhite

I’m using the dreaded Katana 100.
    Tele with True Velvet pickups.

8trackmind likes this.
  16. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

For the mild od worship music tone, I would check out

JHS Morning Glory
    Emerson EM Drive
    Timmy

In that order.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary, additional generic forum comment.

studio1087 and Maroonandwhite like this.
  17. Maroonandwhite

Hey it's good to narrow down the choices. So far the Morning Glory looks like the favorite. I'll probably get a Timmy at some point anyways just for the cool factor of the maker. I'm also on the King of Tone waitlist haha. Again just for the cool factor.

Hopefully I can find a Morning Glory locally to try out.

18. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Nobels odr-1

4pickupguy and 8trackmind like this.
  19. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Bluesbreaker or one of its many clones, including the Mooer Blues Crab

20. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

A buddy of mine has a Katana 100. I played through it last week and got it to do exactly what you're trying to do. Run the gain up a little on the fender sounding channel, don't use the full power setting and back off on the guitar volume. I'm a pedal guy but I think that amp will get what you're looking for on its own.

You're also close enough to me to try several of my overdrives if you want.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.