Looking for a substitute to #0000 Steel Wool

fretman_2

Friend of Leo's
#0000 steel wool works pretty good, but fibers get everwhere and I have to take a magnet to the body cavities to get them all out. Other than sandpaper, is there a good substitute for #0000 steel wool?

Tnx,

fretman_2

Friend of Leo's
Maybe I should post what I'm doing with the steel wool...using it to scuff up wipe on Poly before the next coat.

fretman_2

Friend of Leo's
The Norton synthetic steel wool pads work great. I bought the 000 pad. Says on the instructions that they're washable. The scratches were a little more coarse than the 0000 steel wool, but acceptable.

bobbyblues

TDPRI Member
I been doing this for years.

1. Get a small magnet. About 1 " diameter.

2. Wrap masking tape around it.

3 Attach to the wire wool.

4 Polish.

Results. Shiny frets and no bits of steel wool on the fretboard or anywhere else.

evanrw

TDPRI Member
This is a weird situation, for once I can readily buy something here in NZ that appears (from what's being said here) not to be readily available at HD or Lowes. This never happens! :D

Go Bunning's Warehouse!

I use the Norton Synthetic '000' and '0000'. Only breaks apart after heavy use and doesn't splinter at all. Highly recommended.

Codger

Tele-Meister
I’ll have to try the Norton product, but another option is bronze wool. Another problem with steel wool, besides being magnetic, is that iron in combination with water and the tannic acid in wood produce those nasty black and gray stains (great for relicing if that’s what you want). That’s why bronze wool is use instead of steel wool in boat work.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...id=51&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=bronze_wool

jspotts02835

TDPRI Member
Fretman,

You can probably find the 0000 Scotch Brite pads at a West Marine store. They carry more pro grades of abrasives, masking tape, and other finishing supplies than you'll find at HD or Lowes. Their store locator tells me they have one in Mobile.

fretman_2

Friend of Leo's
Yes...the West Marine store is just off I-65 on Airport Blvd. About 5 miles from my home. I've passed by it a million times but never went in. I'll try and make it by this weekend.

Tx,

Fretman,

You can probably find the 0000 Scotch Brite pads at a West Marine store. They carry more pro grades of abrasives, masking tape, and other finishing supplies than you'll find at HD or Lowes. Their store locator tells me they have one in Mobile.

jefrs

Doctor of Teleocity
#0000 steel wool works pretty good, but fibers get everwhere and I have to take a magnet to the body cavities to get them all out. Other than sandpaper, is there a good substitute for #0000 steel wool?

Tnx,

#0000 powdered pumice.

It's what it's for.
Direct substitute for steel wool for use on wood and wood finishes.

Half a kilo of the stuff will last you years, far longer than a roll of steel wool does. But it will stick into finishes that are not fully set hard (but so does any other grit).

Makes dust that blows off.

Last edited:

ehawley

Tele-Afflicted
I been doing this for years.

1. Get a small magnet. About 1 " diameter.

2. Wrap masking tape around it.

3 Attach to the wire wool.

4 Polish.

Results. Shiny frets and no bits of steel wool on the fretboard or anywhere else.

HAH!!! Never thought of making the steel wool itself magnetic!...That's a great idea!