1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking for a stand-alone keyboard compatible with 8th Gen iPad

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by telestratosonic, Jan 24, 2021.

1. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I bought a new 8th Generation iPad to use solely for recording using Garageband. I want to use a completely detached (stand-alone) keyboard and even a mouse if that's possible.

I don't want a keyboard/iPad set-up. My wife has this for her iPad. This is a case that opens up and the iPad is tilted back with the keyboard sitting in front of the iPad. I don't want to be reaching for the keyboard. I'd like to have the iPad in its own tilted-back holder a foot/30cm or so from me and have the detached keyboard (and mouse) wherever is comfortable at the moment.

The 8th Gen iPad has a USB-C connection. I've been looking at buying an Anker power Hub to connect to the iPad. Then I can plug my audio interface and a wired keyboard to the Anker Power Hub.

Is anyone using a stand-alone/detached keyboard (and mouse) with their iPad for recording?

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Why not get bluetooth rig.. leave ports free for interface.

telestratosonic likes this.
  3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

There is no mouse support for ipad. I used a regular Apple Bluetooth keyboard for years with no issues, detached.

4. telestratosonic

My wife has one for her iMac which she never uses. I'll give it a try. I'll have to give up the mouse idea then. Thanks.

5. telestratosonic

Yes, this crossed my mind. No annoying cord either. I was thinking about a power hub with enough ports to not run into this problem but a bluetooth rig would be ideal. Thanks.

6. telestratosonic

I just dug around and found an older, unused Logitech K400 Plus Bluetooth keyboard that I'll try as well. No cord is way preferable.

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Finiti keyboard for my iPad that works really well. It's wireless and USB brechargeable and runs for many days between charges. It's smaller than a standard keyboard, but it's easy to get used to using.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IZB504M/?tag=tdpri-20

8. telestratosonic

Thanks, Peegoo. Just read the specs and see that it goes up to 4th gen iPad. In the question section, it says it goes up to 6th Gen. I'll research it further to see if it's compatible with my 8th Gen iPad. Jim

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Peegoo likes this.
  9. telestratosonic

Ok, i just did a little bit of researching. I see that bluetooth keyboards are indeed compatible with 8th Gen iPads. Thanks to all who replied.
    Jim

Peegoo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.