Looking for a small practice amp.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by lmjmitchell, Feb 13, 2020 at 8:35 PM.

1. JSMac

JSMac TDPRI Member

I second the Monoprice 15 if you want tubes. I just got one and couldn't be happier for the price.

For the situation that I use it I went through a Bugera V5 (too dark), a Vox AC4-12 (too bright and thin at low volumes) and most recently a Peavey Classic Thirty (just too damn loud).

The Monoprice is very versatile, tone-wise and has spring reverb, master volume (gain) and effects loop. Sweet tone at low volume and sounds good cranked. Although different sounding, it stands up to my Vibro Champ but is more versatile.

2. Stax1

Stax1 TDPRI Member

Another vote for the Yamaha THR10c. The 'C' model is based around boutique amp flavours so it doesn't get into the high gain thing. If you're after that go for the THR10X.

I've also been keen to try the Vox Adio. Seems similar to the THR amps but has the distinct Vox amp flavours, and it looks kinda like a grandma's handbag..

3. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

I love my Pathfinder 10

4. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I’ve really enjoyed my Champion 20 and my Champion 600.
    The champ 20 has a blackface deluxe setting that just tickles me in all the right spots.

5. JD1952

JD1952 NEW MEMBER!

6. JD1952

JD1952 NEW MEMBER!

Sorry, having problems with downloading. Have a look at the little 1 & 5 Watt amps from Biyang/ Wang on AliExpress. I have 1 Watt and it's amazing. A mate of mine has the 5 Watt and they are both amazingly loud, give the size!
    You'll need a small speaker cab, though.
    Cheers, John (Australia).

7. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

The Mustang LT25, at $150, is only a few dollars more than the Champion 20 or Mustang 1 V2, and sounds a lot better IMO. After I got the LT25 I sold the other two. And all the other suggestions are good options as well. You should try them all with your guitar to find the ones that you like most.

lmjmitchell likes this.
  8. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Got a cab?, get a Hotone Nano head. Through a decent 1x10" they sound superb, plus you can Pokemon the damn things and collect 'em all!
    Other tiny head units like the Wangs/Biyang mentioned above and the Hayden Li'l Mofo may cross your path too.
    If you don't fancy the head cab route, the Blackstar Fly 3 Stereo pack is worth investigating. It makes for a great set of TV speakers, computer speakers, 'phone speakers, garage speakers when furtling with stuff too.

The Yamaha THR10 should be a high priority though. They look great, they sound great and you can hook them to your computer, launch Audacity ( or whatever you use ) and record yourself. Blackstar produce the ID:Core range. The stereo reverb effect has to be heard to be believed. That was the first modeller that caused me to take stock.

Never has your choice been greater, or more confusing. The days of shyte masquerading as shinola have thankfully passed.

9. schmintan

schmintan Tele-Meister

Yamaha the 10 has served me very well for apartment living where even a 5w tube will blow the Neighbour's wall through .

It's got aux in and headphone out so can play along with backing track from your phone and listen via headphones.

Amp sims are quite good too, a LP into the lead guitar setting gets very close to Clapton in his LP days.

Also hooks up to the pc for some basic recording. Great practice setup.

Had a little cube but found it muddy and dirty in all settings so flipped it.

10. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell TDPRI Member

Thanks!

I'll see if I can find a LT25 to try locally.

11. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell TDPRI Member

I tried a Vox VXII 30 today and it sounded really nice.

Still, 30 watts is a lot of power...

I'm going to see if I can find a Yamaha THR10II or THR20II to try as well.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 6:21 PM
  12. brutus

brutus TDPRI Member

13. gaddis

gaddis Tele-Afflicted

Orange Crush 12. 99 bucks. Sounds really nice. Nuff said.

lmjmitchell likes this.
  14. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell TDPRI Member

I ended up ordering a Yamaha THR30II and got $50 off for President's day.

They are out of stock everywhere, so it should arrive in a month or so.

Just need to find a Line 6 wireless transmitter to pair with it now. (Also out of stock.)

I also picked up a decent pair of Seenheiser headphones to go with it just in case.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.