Looking for a small practice amp.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by lmjmitchell, Feb 13, 2020 at 8:35 PM.

1. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell TDPRI Member

So, I'm looking for a small practice amp for my office. Nothing too fancy, but obviously low wattage while still sounding decent. Not looking to spend too much either if possible, although I could be persuaded to spend a bit more. I'm mostly looking for a really nice clean sound; surf, country, etc.

I've been considering the following:

Fender Champion 20
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender...7516484872.gc?rNtt=fender champion 20&index=1

Fender Mustang I V.2 20W
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender...-1352132365567.gc?rNtt=fender mustang&index=2

I briefly tried the Fender Champion 20, and thought that it sounded pretty good...especially for the price. I'm not sure if the Mustang is just a slightly improved version or not.

Are there any other low wattage amps that I should be looking at?

I'm also wondering if 20 watts will still be too loud. I'd like to be able to get the volume knob up to a reasonable level without getting too loud.

tubedood likes this.
  2. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Bugera T5 (head) or V5 (combo) Infinium

cheap low watt tube amps with headphone capability. They're essentially ripoffs of Andy Marshall's Jet City PicoValve.

But as JC discontinued the PicoValve (big mistake I think) a ripoff is ...meh.I

the T5 looks like this...
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/what-...era-super-reverbs.1006390/page-2#post-9623212

it's the little booger on top of the cab

ETA:
    The T5 is 5 watts with built in attenuation to 1 and 0.1 watt respectively. With an efficient speaker the 5 watts is surprisingly robust.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 at 9:00 PM
  3. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

- Yamaha THR5 -

4. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Fender Champion 20 is a good option. Also, look at the Peavey Rage 258.

Dismalhead likes this.
  5. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

6. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

There is only one answer..

Yamaha thr

fishermike, Stax1, Kitarkus and 2 others like this.
  7. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

I have the Mustang 1 V2... its a nice lil amp. Doesn't hold a candle to my homemade 5F2-A Princeton tho for low volume clean tone practicing. They both are great, the Mustang definitely is more versatile.

Gardo likes this.
  8. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

I have a Vox Mini3 G2 and I love it! Two excellent Fender models, AC15, AC30, a couple Marshalls and even a Dumble model. Lots of decent built in fx. $150.

I will say the overdrive models are not as nice as the clean ones. I play 99% clean, so I'm fine, but if you're looking for lots of gain, these get a little fizzy on those settings. But for cleans it's fantastic.

bgmacaw likes this.
  9. Fendarr

Fendarr TDPRI Member

Vox Pathfinder 15R if you can find one. Roland Cube 30 or 40 are nice little amps.

Twang Deluxe and nojazzhere like this.
  10. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My first choice a Black Star Fly, when I dropped it I got the Katana Mini. I liked the Fly better. Perfect for my work. Both sound good. Small lunch box size.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 at 9:13 PM
  11. Unison Bend

Unison Bend TDPRI Member

Yamaha THR10c

NewKid, Stax1, tery and 1 other person like this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for the Yamaha THR.....or a Vox Pathfinder 15R if you can find one. Personally, I'd love to have a Vox AC4 with a 12" speaker, but we're talking more money.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 9:12 AM
    old soul, tery and Fendarr like this.
  13. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Meister

14. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

Noise level is all relative. Not knowing what you can really get away with, I'd say the Yamaha th series. Solid amp for what it sounds like you're looking for

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

15. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Well, some will not be surprised to hear me echo the Vox Pathfinder 15R suggestions made above. I have 3 of 'em, and I keep one by my desk, reserved for late night picking and grinning. I have both the Gain and the Volume set at 9 o'clock. It doesn't sound bad at all at that low a setting, and yet it doesn't wake up or disturb my wife. I have bad tinnitus, so I don't like using headphones, but the 15R does have a headphone out on the rear panel.

And yeah, good luck finding one.

Vox has a couple of new amps I'm interested in: the Cambridge50 and the Mini Super Beetle. But one costs $300, the other $330. You didn't specifically state a ceiling price, but that's more than twice the price of the two Fender modeling amps you mentioned, so that may be more than you're willing to spend. But if so, they have aspects/features that are appealing.

The Cambridge50 has a power attenuator, so you can scale it back from 50 watt output all the way to 1 watt. And for that matter, it does have a headphone out (1 x 1/8"). The Cambridge50 would put a number of amp models (including a Line for acoustic/electric, if you so desire) and effects.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...watt-1x12-inch-modeling-combo-amp-with-nutube

As for the Mini Super Beetle, this little mini stack has 50 watt output capability, but through the provided cabinet alone (10" speaker), it's 25 watts. So it can be a quiet practice amp. And it also has a Phone/Line Out. I don't own one (yet?), but I've plugged into one and given it a test drive 3-4 times. It compares favorably to my beloved Pathfinder 15Rs. And the Mini Super Beetle is as cute as the dickens!

[​IMG]
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...mini-superbeetle-25-watt-1x10-inch-mini-stack

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 10:42 AM
    nojazzhere, Fendarr and ataylor like this.
  16. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I got a little Fender Champ 20 last year when I was in an apartment. I've moved to a bigger place now where I can play my louder, more expensive amps and I still find myself playing through my little Champion about half the time. It's got usable effects, sounds good, and costs a hundred bucks new. I took it to a "quiet" jam that got quite loud a couple of months ago and ended up turning it up. Sounded great.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  17. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

I got the Champion 20 for my daughter for Christmas and was pleasantly surprised. Sounds really nice for an amp in that price range.

That said, I struck gold a decade ago with the Vox P15R — that amp is unreal for the price range. They’re harder to find these days as they’ve become something of a cult classic, but if you find one, they nail the warm Vox chime with really nice tremolo and spring reverb in a small box with classic styling.

nojazzhere and Fendarr like this.
  18. modavis99

modavis99 TDPRI Member

The Monoprice 15 is a surprisingly good combo tube amp with a 12” Celestine speaker, an effects loop, built-in reverb, and a 15 watt / 1 watt selector. If you wait till it is on sale, it will cost under $250 shipped. It is supposed to be a near clone of a Laney cub 12r

stevemc and carpenter like this.
  19. Ronzo

Ronzo TDPRI Member

I bought a Fender Champion 20 for my daughter. I couldn’t stand hearing the Line 6 Spider 15 she had, with its bees-in-a-can distortion. She plugged in, and became a believer. She gets G&R stuff out of the British model with her LP copy, and likes the Tweed and Blackface models with her Strat.

20. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

I have and like the Fender Champion 20 also. Another one is the older Fender
    Frontman 15 or 15R. It is a fairy simple model and doesn't have the various amp and
    effects selections. Those show up on Craigslist and in Pawnshops. I wouldn't pay more
    than $50 though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.