1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking for a simple Multi-Mod-Effects box.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Festofish, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was just wondering about the newer mod-centric, multi effects boxes out there. I’ve had the big boards with banks of effects and parameters. I just don’t care for them. Knobs and switches are great. Simple digital interface is fine too.
    Analog preferred. Digital is fine if it sounds great. Anything I can get new or used for $250 or less. What do you think? I don’t need delay included but wouldn’t scoff either. I’m just not that familiar with them. Terraform? MD-200? Dark side? Etc?
    Any experienced help would be appreciated.

2. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

Festofish likes this.
  3. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Terraform is pretty darn good. I sold mine because I just didn't need all the distraction of so many options. I found it a little too easy to spend lots of time fiddling. The parameters are good, but not intuitive.

I bought a boss CE2W with the proceeds. Now I've got one killer analog mod pedal that I never need to adjust.. unless I want to.

bluesholyman and Festofish like this.
  4. Festofish

I watched a rundown on that this morning. I’d like more than one switch and the ability to run at least two effects simultaneously . Handful of user presets would be nice.

northernguitar likes this.
  5. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I picked up a used ZoomG3 a year ago. I leave it in bass player’s basement where we jam. I use it for tremolo, chorus, flanger, reverb and delay. I run it in the fx loop if my amp. Sounds great in the mix.

Tele-beeb, Festofish and lupowitz like this.
  6. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

At the extreme cheap end of this, I use a Sonicake Twiggy Blues. They have a couple of models that feature four separate effects with individual controls and footswitches. Check them out, if you dare...

Sonicake multi-effect boxes

LucasT and Festofish like this.
  7. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

There are some analog multi-effects boards that are pretty cool. Boss had one called the BE5 that was pretty neat and there are similar offerings from Ibanez.

Festofish likes this.
  8. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

I just completed the same search for a multi effect for not too much money and good sound.
    I just ordered a NUX mg300 and will have a report on it in a few days.
    I previously owned an Eleven Rack that sounded good but was too complex and hard to program.

Good luck in your search.

Mark

Festofish likes this.
  9. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I’m still a fan of the old Boss ME-50.
    Hunt you one used.

BorderRadio likes this.
  10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I have two of the predecessor of these. (Donner Alchemy) All the mod effects are good.
    The Donner was $39 new, these blues ones are identical but more $. Best pedal bargain I've had in a long time. Had them at least 3 years now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Festofish likes this.
  11. Festofish

I decided a while ago not to support those cheap Chinese pedal companies. I’m sure I have major brand pedals that come from there. I just won’t do it. No judgment or guilt, just a personal decision. No Nux/Donner/Sonic cake/etc.

northernguitar likes this.
  12. northernguitar

Same. Donner made it easy for me by sending me not one, but two defective ‘deluxe’ tuners. I wasted $35 and have two paperweights, but lesson learned.

Festofish likes this.
  13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

The Nux and related pedals seem to be an attempt to partially replicate the Boss MD-200. It's just outside your $250 though.

I've looked at some of these multi-modulation effects pedals a lot recently and determined that I'd have to spend in the $400 range to get something I'd like sound and featur-wise, most likely either Eventide or Strymon. So, for now, I'm sticking with my cheap Chinese individual modulation pedals that work OK since I'm a cheapskate.

While I don't have anything against buying the inexpensive Chinese pedals, I've found the multi-modulation pedals to not be that good from a tone perspective. Maybe it's the cheap DSP's they're using. I've found individual analog ones based on classic designs that you can find everywhere online to be much better.

14. Festofish

Exactly! I have a bunch of analog pedals I love but get tired of constantly switching in and out. Sounds like we’re after the same thing. Which models have you checked out? I’m not familiar at all with the newer multi effects boxes in that range.

15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

The Eventide H9 Core and Strymon Mobius were the main ones I considered, probably leaning more toward the Mobius since a friend of mine has one he uses in his P&W band. A few months ago Sweetwater had them on 48 month no-interest financing so they were very tempting. But, after getting my SFPR refurbished, I decided I'd wait for now instead of annoying my wife with even more gear spending (for now).

Festofish likes this.
  16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

This is where it gets nowhere. Hard to get all these things without going big with a processor that can handle running one mod program into another. This by default suggests an interface of some modest complication.

It would be cool to have this all analog but that would mean some commitment to a given circuit, which is fine, right? Almost the same with digital emulations.

Anyways, the one you want for this type of requirement is a used Boss MD-500. Slightly budget breaking but if the cheap MIC stuff is off the table, and Strymon is expensive, with two effects at once and presets...then I can't think of anything better for the money.

Festofish likes this.
  17. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I have a Wampler Terraform - great sounding pedal. A little twiddly to begin with but it is amazingly flexible and has about 8 presets.

One cool feature that may not well be known is that you can have some effects appear in front of amp, while others appear in the effects loop, using a 4-cable method.

Bang for buck, I think this one is the best.

Festofish likes this.
  18. Elliot_G

Elliot_G TDPRI Member

If I were in your shoes, I'd go for the Boss MD-200. It's right at the top of your budget at $256 new, but it seems like a straightforward and high-quality multi-mod pedal.

Festofish likes this.
  19. Festofish

I had a back order that I cancelled and applied to a new MD-200! Should be here by tomorrow or the next. It’s nice having Sweetwater in the next state over. Thanks all. I checked out the mobius and wasn’t interested. Not my flavor with the menus and all. Terraform sounded great but not in a classic effects way. I’m comfortable with a Boss. Wanna buy some mod pedals? ;)

BorderRadio and northernguitar like this.
  20. northernguitar

Looking for a reverb pedal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.