Looking for a replacement for a Bill & Becky L610

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by wadeeinkauf, May 12, 2021.

1. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Afflicted

Just rediscovered the Bill Lawrence L610. (Bill’s stacked P90) I bought these in 2015 just before Becky stopped making them, put them in a multiscale I built but never played. Just pulled them out and put in a new build. I love these pickups. I became a fan of Bill Lawrence with the SCN he designed for Fender…Tele and Strat. I know, many purists hated them but I loved the tone of tele neck SCN. I do not like the look of L610 but am crazy with the growling articulation. I have no experience with P90s so nothing to compare the L610 to other P90s. Can anyone familiar with the L610 recommend a noise free (stacked) P90 in a humbucker size that sounds close to the 610.

eallen likes this.
  2. bigtuna61

bigtuna61 Tele-Meister

Huge fan of the t2 and the copper bridge. People say..." That's not bill lawrence. He didn't put that **** out" it's ok someone is marketing them under his name sound is amazing. And I dig the look of the copper bridge. Just oozes vintage vibe. 20210407_082129.jpg

wadeeinkauf likes this.
  3. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's

You can't go wrong with any of the Wilde lineup! Maybe an L90 with the right Henry, pot, and cap choice.

@Derek Kiernan probably has some insight.

Derek Kiernan and wadeeinkauf like this.
  4. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

My L90 doesn’t sound anything like my L610 (which is a higher H version). I haven’t been able to get along with any of the L90’s I have which are a variety of inductances. I do have one in a banjo though that I gigged for a while. I’m sad to hear these aren’t available anymore as I was hoping to try a lower inductance set some day.

wadeeinkauf likes this.
  5. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Becky and Shannon moved to a new shop in Georgia (and out of LA), so while they're still dealing with getting everything back up post-move, it seems like they'll have more flexibility and more receptive to offering things from their "custom" program like the L610s in the near future if asked nicely, even if they don't formally reintroduce the entire program. I'd ask nicely and try getting in touch with Shannon if you can (because she makes the pickups).

I'm in love with the L90s, which also have incredible articulation, but if you're already a fan of the L610 I'd ask first before exploring other options.

dlaroe, eallen and wadeeinkauf like this.
  6. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

By the way, the higher inductance you go, the more all of the pickups resemble each other. Bill used to say the L600 (two roles of Alnico poles) and the L500 (twin blade pickup) sound not too far off from each other at the highest inductance options.

eallen and wadeeinkauf like this.
  7. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

Jzchak Wajcman's Company, named Bill Lawrence USA and who made that copper bridge, will never get a dime of my money.

OTOH, I'm looking for excuses to buy more pickups from Wilde. I'm excited to hear of their move to Georgia and hope it means good things for the Lawrence family.

wadeeinkauf likes this.
  8. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

the TS wrote

so the were still Bill & Becky made, and like Derek mention t, maybe when asked polite, they will go the extra mile ;-)

wadeeinkauf likes this.
  9. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

its, just cool Bill made/designed so many flavours off pickups, you always will find one.
    where you love the L90, and they are good by the way, i always get back to the L500.
    and they sound great to in neck position, and even with use of the parallel option with itself.
    to bad we can not enjoy his thoughts and ideas he must have had, when he past away.:(

wadeeinkauf likes this.
  10. bigtuna61

bigtuna61 Tele-Meister

Yep Like I said. Someone put his name on it. It works.. sounds great and looks amazing..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.